Author Topic: Ivan's missing  (Read 4052 times)

Offline carl (billy and baggys dad)

• Distinguished Cat
  • King Bilbo & Mr Baggins' dad and loyal servant
Re: Ivan's missing
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 12:57:29 PM »
Glad he's home safe and sound Ren. There's nothing worse than when they don't return at the usual time.
From out of nowhere you came strong as stone
And now I'll never have to be alone
What it is I know
You have always been my safe home

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 12:34:08 PM »
Hi Renee,

Thank goodness the little tinker is home.....try to keep Ivan in until you go away.  He could have found somewhere new and interesting to explore which may be frequented by other, more 'senior' cats. Often this results in the newbie having to lie low for a while...(beng the new kid on the block)....and just observe.   However, this could be learned behaviour and he might try going back there again and again...and eventually his courage will increase.  There may be rodents in some old place who have slowed down or are taking shelter during this cold snap.  Very tempting for cats!

Try to keep him in for a few days.

Lots of love

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 12:20:18 PM »
Yeayyyyyyy Soo glad Ren. It is soo worrying and we would all be the same. I always have to know where they are and if they are out and not back within half hour i go out calling them. 

Give that wonderful Ivan a big cuddle from us and tell him not to be sooo naughty again  :Luv:

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »
I'm sure none of us thought you were silly for worrying. When they go off like that and it's out of character, it starts alarm bells ringing.
So glad he's home. Hope you all enjoy your Christmas. 

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 09:32:22 AM »
Phew so pleased he is back home Ren.  Little tinker probably was shut in at a neighbours house.

I know you think you were being silly worrying after a few hours but I know exactly what you were going through.  I'm exactly the same with my lot .... When they go out I also call them after about an hour and they ae never more than a couple of gardens away ... if they don't appear within about 5 mins of my calling I start to worry.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 09:17:12 AM »
Phew - glad he's back!  You naughty boy, Ivan - worrying your mum like that!  :poke:

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 09:04:31 AM »
That's great news, fantastic, :yayyy:  has given me a happy start to the day, especially the bit about you out in your nighty on a cold december night  :evillaugh:

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 03:02:36 AM »
He's over a year (not sure on specifics as the CP got him when he was, they think, around 3-4 months). He is neutered and best of all HE IS HOME!

I heard him miaowing at midnight outside our front door (he usually doesn't go round the front) and got my OH to go see. Sure enough it was Ivan. He was really spooked and ran off from my OH and we both (me in a nighty on a December night!) followed film. We tracked him under a car, tried calling, treats etc and finally gave up. 30 mins later he comes in the cat flap acting like nothing has happened!

I love that bleedin' cat to bits!

thank you all for your help. I feel a bit silly as he wasn't even missing for a day, but we're off to my folks (with the cats) day after tomorrow and this was the last thing we needed.

Best xmas present ever.

ren
A cat can purr its way out of anything!

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 00:19:40 AM »
How old is Ivan Ren, and is he neutered? If he's a young cat that hasn't yet had the snip could be he's on the prowl. Dave went missing for three days when he was at that age, he had never been out for more than a few hours before that. It was around about the same time of year when it was frosty outside, I was beside myself and we thought he'd gone for good but he turned up three days later howling for food.
Hope he's home soon, got everything crossed for you  :hug:

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 23:40:05 PM »
Sending positive thoughts too. As it's cold today, maybe some well meaning person has let him stay in their house and not thought that he might have a loving home to go to.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 22:21:50 PM »
Sending lots of Love and positive thoughts ... I hope he's just hiding out at a neighbours house.

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 22:20:17 PM »
Been out again. Got a bad knee at the moment so walking isn't the easiest thing in the world, but I managed to get round our whole estate. Ivan loves other cats and part of me wonders if he's gone in someones house with their cat and gone to sleep. I miss him so much and he's not even been gone a day!

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to put some strong smelling food out the back (the CP lady told me to do that when our cat Otto was missing) and head out with my OH walking and talking.

Having him back would be the best Xmas present.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 22:02:54 PM »
Is he back Ren?

As Sam says if ya go out late at night when it's quiet and call him then wait, then call again. Your voice can carry far in the stillness of the night and if he can't find his way back he is more likely to hear you at that time. He will follow your voice home.

Sending come home thoughts to him and hugs to you  :hug:

Offline bagpussarah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 21:59:23 PM »
You must be so worried. Do you think he could have got shut in a shed or garage?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 21:57:32 PM »
Sorry to hear Ivan has gone AWOL .... It's never too soon to start worrying as far as I'm concerned.  You know you cat and if this is out of caracter then the sooner you start the search the better your chances of finding him.

Here is the usual list of advice tht I post ... for now I would concentrate on items numer 2 and 12.

Good luck and please try not to worry too much (easier said then done I know).

Here are a few things to try:

1. Posters, Posters, Posters with picture and details with contact number.....hand out to neighbours and anyone you see. Put up in local shops, pubs and supermarkets. Stick to all local lamp posts. (If it rains go and collect them and replace - the neighbours and council don’t mind you putting them up so much that way). Also put one in your and friends cars - it amazing how many people see them this way. Make smaller flyers and push through every letterbox on your streets and the surrounding area.   It is a good idea to offer a reward … of course this doesn’t have to be money … a box of chocolates or a bunch of flowers is just as good.

2. Knock on doors and ask neighbours to check their sheds and garages WHILE YOU WAIT … it's surprising how many people say they will check but as soon as the door is closed they forget.   Knock on 10 days either side of your house on both sides of the street.

3. Register him lost at all vets/catteries/rescue homes within a 20mile radius.  Follow the link and click on the map to find rescues in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html

4. Leave food out and a toy of his

5. Leave out an unwashed item of your clothing

6. Put the contents of your hoover bag on your garden - it’s full of smells that they will recognise and if doesn’t bring him directly to your door will at least hopefully keep him in the area. Alternatively if you have a litter tray that has used put some of the used litter on the garden as this will have familiar smells in it.

7. Contact the local fire brigade and see if they have had to rescue any stuck cats

8. Ask the local children to look - they are great for knowing all the local hidey-holes and love helping. Also have a word with your local post-person and milk man if there is one that delivers in your area.

9. Ask the local radio station to announce he’s missing and give out a contact number

10. Put an advert in the local paper

11. Contact your local environmental services dept (bin men) they keep a log of all animals picked on the roadside ... I know this is not a pleasant call to make and hopefully it will come back as negative.

12. Go out after dark when it is quieter with a friend / partner and walk round the local area gently calling every so often (give him a chance to answer you). Keep talking as you walk round that way if he is in the area he will hear you.

13. When you talk to vets and rescues, ask them about any known local feral colonies and where they are based. If Kitty has been missing for more than a few days s/he might have wandered further afield and might be “hanging round” near a colony for security (safety in numbers) and company. If vets/rescues know locations of colonies, these might be useful to get some ideas of where to start looking.

Finally have a look at these sites - they are all EXCELLENT

http://www.chaptan.co.uk/xmas_auction/index.php?topic=115.0 (this is a new forum created after the CatChat forum closed down.  There are loads of members and full of cat rescuers and carers)

http://www.mymoggy.com/

http://thehovel.com/bb/index.php?f=28&ppage=20&sort=lastpost&order=DESC

http://www.soyouhavelostyourcat.co.uk/#1

http://www.petsearchuk.org.uk/

http://www.amissingpet.co.uk/

http://nationalpetregister.org

http://www.animalsearchuk.com/

Good luck and stay positive.

Hopefully your little one has just got itself shut in a shed somewhere.

And finally ……. IMPORTANT NOTE: When you get your furbabe back remember to remove ALL the posters and inform all vets / rescues / websites etc that they are home.

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 21:44:37 PM »
Thanks, just been out looking for him. My OH is out looking for him now. I keep going out the back of the house and calling his name, just incase he can hear me and finds his way home or the phone rings.

ren

ccmacey

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 20:37:52 PM »
You should go look for him, take a box of biscuits and shake them while you walk round, he might hear them and come. hope he comes back soon :)

Offline reneemaaa

• Adult Cat
  • Freya and Ivan
Ivan's missing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 20:32:50 PM »
My cat, Ivan, went out this morning at 10am and hasn't been back since. The longest he's been out before without coming back for reassurence is an hour, so I'm very worried about him. My OH is beside himself as he's terrified Ivan has been killed. I know it's soon to be worrying, but he really isn't the kind of cat to be gone for long periods of time and it's so cold here.

Come home Ivan!

Link to CatChat