Author Topic: Riley is at the vets  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Re: Another - would you take them both?
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 12:59:49 PM »
Your better getting over the "guilt" now than having to cause yourself more hassle in the future.  :)

And just think whoever is left at home will have time to explore on their own without the other distracting them for half an hour.  :)

I don't know why I'm being like this  :shy:  It never worried me taking Tiggy or her brother to the vets separately.  I think it's because they are so young and Riley, although very confident at home, is very scared at the vets - Tiggy was such a brave girl it never bothered her at all.  I hate to think of Lucas realising his brother has gone and searching the house for him in vain  :(  I don't think I will take Lukey at all, it might be a bit confusing for him being taken somewhere with Riley and coming back on his own.

I think Blackcat has hit the nail on the head though, Lukey would be alone at the vets while Riley is being seen to and while the sedative wears off he'd be alone aswell.  I would rather he was alone at home than at the scary vets.  Oh well, I might see if I can sweet talk the vets to doing the procedures while I wait then they won't need to be apart for a whole day, I'm not very hopeful though as I know they have set times for surgery and other procedures.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »
I would do what Gill said, take Lucas to drop him off and pick Riley back up. I don't think its fair to take both when both arnt needed to go.  :shy:

And it maybe ok at the moment while they are small but what about when they get bigger and are too heavy to carry. Your better getting over the "guilt" now than having to cause yourself more hassle in the future.  :)

And just think whoever is left at home will have time to explore on their own without the other distracting them for half an hour.  :)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 12:30:10 PM »
Hmmmmmmmm dont know the answer to this but wonder if maybe you take em both then bring lucas home, then when you collect Riley you take Lucas with you again. Also that way he will get used to the new smell of Riley on the way home.

Sorry he is still panting and hope that its just the weather  :hug: :hug:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:30:09 PM »
having worked in a busy vet clinic, the difficulty with having both in the same cage might arise if the wrong one was scanned etc. They would certainly be good company for each other, but one would be left behind while the other was scanned and would then have to be in a separate cage while the tranquiliser wore off. Some cats can get agressive with a cat who is groggy and that would not be nice for either of them. I would take just the one cat...

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Riley is at the vets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:25:58 PM »
As some of you may know I took Riley to the vets the other day as he is panting after hard play, I know that other people's cats/kittens do this too but I thought it best to get him checked out.  I decided to take Lucas along for the ride so to speak as I was worried about Riley being scared on his own and about Lucas being home alone and realising Riley wasn't there and getting all panicy as he can be a bit needy at times.  They are 4 months old tomorrow and have never been apart.

Anyway the vet said to monitor Riley and if the panting continues then for him to have an ECG and ultrasound.  He has panted every day (after heavy play) since seeing the vet so I'm going to book him in for the procedures.  I don't think I'll be allowed to be there with Riley for the procedures and others have said that he'll go in in the morning and wait in the kennel area until he has the procedures done.

So, do you think I should ask if Lucas can go with him too and be in the same pen, again I think it would help them both as Riley won't be scared on his own and Lucas won't feel abandoned.  Lucas was fine accompanying Riley on Thursday but obviously that was only for half an hour or so.  I would imagine this would be a half day or maybe even a whole day thing, is it fair to Lukey to 'put him through' that? Do the benefits to them both outweigh the negative effect it may have on him?  Or am I just being over-protective and should i just get over it! 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 08:31:03 AM by Tiggy's Mum - Helen »

Link to CatChat