Author Topic: Why do people leave it so late to rehome?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Why do people leave it so late to rehome?
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 13:53:50 PM »
people never fail to surprise me Mark!   :censored:

I had a woman last week who was moving today - she been after a space for a few weeks and on calling me LAST monday I told her a space would come available on LAST Friday so to call me Thursday and we'd arrange to have her cat brought in on the Friday.

Phone call never came - no contact so I gave space to another deserving (probably more so) cat on the Monday to get a phone call this Thursday.

Woman couldn't understand why I hadn't kept the space for her and whilst I had said call Thursday not NEXT Thursday - it was somehow my fault her plans had gone awry!  :tired: :shocked:

As for leaving everything to the last minute - just don't get it bit there again - why do they give us the emotional blackmail too!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 13:22:35 PM »
UNBELIEVEABLE!!   :doh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:08:07 PM »
She did seem genuinely surprised when I told her most rescues have a waiting list, then repeated that it had to be gone before Saturday. I'm not sure about the branch where she lives (Deal) so told her to phone again if she doesn't have any luck and said "no promises" - it was just the nagging feeling that she might just dump the cat if it comes to it.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
well to us it would but some peoples pets are way down the list

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:04:06 PM »
You think it would be one of the first things on the list though  :Crazy: How many of these people will just kick their cats out onto the street when they can't find a rescue space in time?

I agree - in this case it was an afterthought it seems  :tired:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:53 PM »
I really think people think it will be as easy as when shall I bring it in

More like "can you come and get it now"  :tired: :Crazy:

Offline Claire_smc

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:48 AM »
You think it would be one of the first things on the list though  :Crazy: How many of these people will just kick their cats out onto the street when they can't find a rescue space in time?

'I love my cats because I love my home, and after a while they become its visible soul'

'I have studied many philsophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior'

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:18:03 AM »
tbh I really think people think it will be as easy as when shall I bring it in - they have no idea of how bad the situation is

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Why do people leave it so late to rehome?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »
I just spoke to a woman who needs to rehome her 1 year old female as she is moving to a place that doesn't allow animals. She is out of our area so I told her to try her local branch first. She said "I had better hurry up as I am moving on Saturday"  :Crazy:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:15:37 AM by Mark »

Link to CatChat