Author Topic: Kittens recovering well  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: Kittens recovering well
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 21:54:29 PM »
Aww Liz, another grey feral   :Luv2: :Luv2:

FCW- i have a semi feral living with me. Everyone on Purrs knows his story, so, to cut it VERY short, he's 7 years old and was born in the factory where i worked. His mommy and sister a(and his mommy's other litters!) were always fed by myself and my boss. He was always friendly but his sister and mommy wouldn't come near us, tho they were never hissy. He was always nervous of other people (and still is) His sister, sadly, disappeared a few years ago (she'd been spayed and him neutered when they were old enough-TNR) When i was made redundant, almost a year ago, i  found them a home at a rescue with a feral compound (over 100 cats in there, fantastic place!) I caught him easily enough and took him there, but it took another 19 days after i'd finshed before i caught her! Tragically, she was found to have leukemia and a stomach tumour so was pts.  He never settled and escaped for 5 weeks (i found him) and then was rehomed after he let some of the staff stroke him. He escaped after a week and was missing for 11 weeks and 2 days this time, 25 miles from where i live, but i went over every week with the fliers and the posters and found him in the street he'd gone missing from! He's now been happily living with me and my other cat since last November!  :Luv2: :Luv2:

So glad to hear about your mommy cat and, hopefully, the kittens will come round!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 21:58:46 PM by Shirley »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 21:15:07 PM »
Please meet Blue - the first photo is after having some major surgery - undscended bits and a hernia - all now fixed he is ID chipped to and had a full course of injections

The second picture was taken several months later - still unhandlable but part of the inside crew who comes through for the evening and doesn't run so fast anymore when humans appraoch in fact he likes the dogs better than us isn't an issue!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Feral Cat Welfare

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 21:03:49 PM »
Thank you for your good wishes and messages - it's good to hear all about other ferals and how they have tamed - or not!  I have a great respect for anyone who is willing to care for a feral as it can be very one-sided at the beginning, maybe forever, but there is still a quiet and special communication between feral cat and feeder/carer/servant.  We've just brought in one of the mother's and her two kittens (we made a plea for fosterers earlier).  The hissing mother has actually turned out to be an extremely friendly domestic cat (just about to come into season according to the vet who spayed her today!) and her two kittens are around 5 or 6mths of age and very feral!  No doubt they've always lived outside and have received no human contact.  The older they are the harder it is to gain their trust, but perhaps they'll watch their mother who no longer needs to be defensive, and realise humans can be friendly.  Photos to follow.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 20:01:33 PM »
The black one looks like our little feral Indie - she is about a year old now and is our first "girl" feral from the outside - she is now on the inside and is a Daddies girl and hisses at me - she walked in last October one Sunday morning - we got her in to the family room and then took 4 months to catch her in the house to get speyed - she is now sporting the growing in your hair side!

Having 30 ferals here I just wish you were closer as we love taming the little darlings down although Ace aged 7 would say otherwise - we have had him coming up 5 years and drugged him to move him nearly 4 years ago and haven't got near him since - he comes at you with all claws blazing and got quite bad after his Mother Miss gracie died - she could put him back in his box as only a Mother can! :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 16:24:33 PM »
oh and I got our first cat from your neck of the woods, a place called heckmondwicke (sp?) where oh sister was living at the time - our bluto was a feral of about 3 weeks, we picked him up and took him back to London, he lived with us for 14 1/2 good years - I really hope you get the help you need

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 16:17:51 PM »
me too :)

all mine were ferals 4 from kittens :)
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 16:15:16 PM »
What little loves. Hope you get help soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 14:07:11 PM »
Glad to hear they're coming along  :)

Have you thought about asking for an article to be put in your local paper to appeal for voluntenteers in your local area? If you wanted any help writing it I'm sure we have media/PR type people on Purrs who could give you a few pointers  ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:34 AM »
 :Luv2: aww they are sweet, good luck with them all xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 07:45:32 AM »
Awww hope someone comes along to help   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 20:54:24 PM »
Ahhhh the black kitten at the front has eyes the size of saucers :)  :Luv2:

Offline Feral Cat Welfare

• Adult Cat
Kittens recovering well
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:14:42 AM »
Hi

Since starting up as an independent group at the beginning of March we are already receiving pleas for help from the public about feral or simply timid/stray cats living outdoors and giving birth to kittens beneath hedges, under sheds, in the open and other unsuitable places.  We only have one fosterer at the moment so any Leeds people wanting to give a helping hand, please get in touch.  See our website www.feralcatwelfare.org.uk for some of the many things that can be done to make a difference.  Here are three kittens that came in a couple of weeks ago, all breathing badly with a severe chest infection.  They've now had medication and with a regular supply of food have practically doubled in weight.  We need a foster space urgently for a mother and her two kittens that are constantly being threatened by the homeowners dog - they're living outside at the moment and scavenging on scraps they find by the bins.  The poor mother is ravenous - the home owner put a bowl of food down and the mother was eating from it before it reached the ground.  If you have a spare room, live in Leeds and are prepared to give fostering a go, we'll set up a fold-up pen and provide all equipment and food.  We will also ensure the family are homed in due course.   
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 11:15:17 AM by Feral Cat Welfare »

Link to CatChat