Author Topic: Do Battersea do homechecks?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Do Battersea do homechecks?
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 17:13:35 PM »
I suppose a vet letter is better than nothing - not a lot though.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 13:41:08 PM »
we rehome cats all over the country provided that you are able to collect the cat from one of our three sites. If you live over five miles from the Home you can start the rehoming process online. Fill in an application form and a rehomer will telephone you to go over your application form with you. If you live too far away for a home visit, we need you to provide a letter of recommendation from a vet (or rescue centre). In some cases we would request that you ask a local rescue centre if they could carry out a home visit. Please note, this does not guarantee being able to rehome a cat from us.

taken from battersea site

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:14:57 PM »
My only experience of them was around 1983. I moved into a flatshare. The "person" went there and got a kitten that was riddled with fleas - literally alive with them  >:( No checks were done. I moved out of the flat after a few weeks as the "landlord" was a lunatic. He went to the club where I worked and put word around that I had thrown the kitten out of the window (it was about 10 floors up!) I wonder to this day if it was what he did. I had him barred from the club which was the best I could do  >:(

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 22:55:15 PM »
I had 2 cats from Battersea when I lived in London and they never checked me. They do do a very ruthless interview though.  :evillaugh:

I think it certain circumstances they might do a few HCs... like for first time owners or for difficult cats/dogs or special needs.  ;)

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 20:17:43 PM »
Nope. If they do now, they didn't 4 years ago when I homed Lexy from them, nor 8 years ago when my mother homed Boo too. And I live in London as does Mum so it's not as if it would have been a serious trip to check. I was interviewed as was Mum. That's it.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 20:08:52 PM »
I thought they did, maybe they take vet refs?
Hope the sofa was a one off!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Do Battersea do homechecks?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 10:54:26 AM »
OHs colleague adopted a cat (part Bengal) from Battersea cat & dog home. She lives in Southend - about 30 miles from there, so not sure how they check people. I know in this case, the cat will be fine. She sent an email out to friends (it may be a blog as I haven't seen it, OH read it to me) talking as the cat and one of the thingss was along the lines of "I'm still settling in. I peed on the sofa at 4am so mummy & daddy had to get up to clean the sofa - they don'r mind though"  :evillaugh:

Link to CatChat