Author Topic: Traumatised and terrified  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Re: Traumatised and terrified
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »
Any update on these beauties?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 12:35:15 PM »
I am glad they are coming round and can be neutered soon, fingers crossed they have no health implications due to it, they are the right age for mammary cancer.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 18:25:05 PM »
tjry are so lovely and hope they both come round and are fitt and well  :hug:

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 18:06:31 PM »
Beautiful furrbabes   :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 17:38:22 PM »
Poor wee things... lots of love to them  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 17:19:11 PM »
Aw they're gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Re: Traumatised and terrified - now with photo
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 17:11:26 PM »
These two are settling in better than hoped.  Their fosterer can now pick up and cuddle for a while, they are eating and using the litter tray.  Here's a first photo, 12yr feisty mama is on the left

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 17:07:12 PM »
How awful, Shirley.  Hugs  :hug:  Our philosophy is that unless there are obvious health issues, we just leave cats to settle before we start taking to vets etc.  These two were indoor only cats in a 2nd floor flat so not likely to be FIV/FeLV + but will blood test if we think necessary.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 16:46:44 PM »
Very sad when you think about the number of litters they've probably had  :( My mommy cat at work had lots of babies before she finally went into the trap to be spayed. Last year when i was being made redundant, i found her a new home at a rescue with a feral paddock-she was blood tested and discovered to have leukemia  (through too many matings) and a stomach tumour so was pts. I was devastated! Have these two been blood tested?  Everyhing crossed they will be well and happy.   :Luv2: :Luv2:

Life is much better for me now thanks, but, reading through your original post , reminded me of two occasions with threats regarding my Chuch. One was that one day i would come from work and find him nailed to the front door and another 'don't go in the bathroom, i've drowned him in the bath and it's not a very nice sight'   :sick: :sick: :sick: Why do men do this?? :Crazy: :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 16:30:05 PM »
So sorry to hear of your story, Shirley, and hope life is much kinder to you now.  These two are settling down and have now eaten and used their litter tray.  Their fosterer is going to try for pics even if they look terrified.  Then we can hopefully update with photos of them looking relaxed and calm!

Really old to be through the trauma of neutering.  It just makes you wonder how many litters of kittens have been offloaded given that they both lived with an unneutered male  :(

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 08:27:02 AM »
I am glad you have managed to rescue them, and fingers crossed mum isn't pregnant, poor things being unspayed so late in life.
Please spay your cat

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 18:05:42 PM »
How awful for those poor cats! I hope they will be able to overcome their fear  :Luv2:

I was in a similar situation (tho not so bad!) a couple of years ago. I was being attacked and threatened with a knife, by my ex. It went on for a couple of hours before the police arrived, after my brother had phoned and i managed to answer it saying i was in trouble. My Chuch had seen it all and wouldn't go anywhere near him for months after that!  :scared:  (Yes, i had him back   :Crazy: but there was nothing like that again and he is now my EX!) It was terrible to see him so scared, but he did come round to him eventually.  I hate to think what these babies went through seeing it on a regular basis.   :hug: :hug: :hug: to them and you for rescuing them   :hug: :hug:

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 17:45:43 PM »
Zylkene capsules sprinkled on their food may help.  Were they being fed OK?

Yes they are a reasonable weight although they have yet to eat with us.  Thanks for Zylkene suggestion too Rosella.

Valerian is quite good for relaxing cats - poor little souls  :(

Thanks.  That's a good suggestion.

Kate
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 17:47:42 PM by StreetKatzRescue »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 17:31:12 PM »
Valerian is quite good for relaxing cats - poor little souls  :(

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 17:23:34 PM »
Zylkene capsules sprinkled on their food may help.  Were they being fed OK?

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 16:45:59 PM »
Absolutely no chance!!

Does anyone have any suggestions for remedies, apart from Rescue Remedy and Feliway, which might be helpful for cats who have suffered in this way?  There is a lot we are not being told...

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 16:28:42 PM »
how awful

is there a chance this woman will be having them back? I feel sorry for anyone in this sort of situation, but she probably bears some responsibility for having three unneutered cats in the house
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 16:26:25 PM »
Poor things, so glad they're safe now  :scared:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 16:14:57 PM »
poor woman, what a life - glad you managed to get the cats out

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
Traumatised and terrified
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 16:11:04 PM »
Our two latest rescues have come from a domestic violence situation and to say they are traumatised is putting it mildly.  Our local domestic violence unit asked us to help, they had found a safe place for the woman but could not get her cats out.  We had no phone no. for the man so it was a case of staking the flat out until he showed up.  Unfortunately it was a round 15 mile trip each time and after 4 trips, chats to the neighbours, leaving notes and phone numbers all over the place, we were just about to abandon our softly softly approach and go the RSPCA/police route when he made contact and agreed to let us take the cats. 

That was the easy part!  When we got in, it was clear the cats were absolutely terrified of this man.  They ran and wedged themselves in behind furniture in the most inaccessible places whenever he went near them.  He didn't want to sign them over and then said he had sold the brother of the younger cat for £50.  Was obviously going to do the same with these two, both unneutered females.  Fortunately, they had other ideas and when he tried to catch the older one, she attacked him viciously...  In the end he agreed (again) that we could take them.

Our helper, a gentle man (couldn't risk a woman), managed to scruff them ok, got them signed over and out of the flat and they are now safe.  Will post pics soon but they are so terrified, bless them.  They are mother and daughter, 12yrs and c. 11yrs, dark brindle tortie and black with white star on chest.  Unspayed.  The daughter is calling but the mum could be pregnant.  Although they were indoor cats, the male cat that was sold was unneutered...  We're just letting them settle and calm down for now.

When we reported back to the DVU that we had got the cats out and to let their client know, we were told that she was being repeatedly phoned up and told he was going to kill her cats by smashing their heads against the wall.   Probably a wind-up but what a nice man, eh?

Link to CatChat