Author Topic: Giving away one cat versus two cats?  (Read 3963 times)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
Re: Giving away one cat versus two cats?
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 22:34:42 PM »
they're gorgeous - who in their right mind would want only one when they could have two :Luv:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 22:22:52 PM »
Here are the  kittens! 3 weeks and a few days old.
Mom gained 200 grams and I feel proud. Eating better food (Diamond kitten food) and I am giving her vitamins.

Thanks a lot for your input... I will do my best to find people who will accept two... I would also feel more relaxed! and I will buy Remedies for them to adapt to their new home... this makes me happy because they will be able to cope with change !

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 23:20:55 PM »
but this is poor area in mexico ron

Offline ronandcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 16:03:05 PM »
We never home Kittens on there own as most family's work now all day and the poor little mite is left all day on its own, i have never had a problem homing them in pairs, if we have three kittens and mum or five kittens and mum we always home the last one with the mum, and have never have a problem in homing the last kitten with its mum, But all cattery's have the right to there own way of thinking No  harm ment just my own way of thinking :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 19:10:53 PM »
Im glad trixy and babies are doing well  ;D i have fingers crossed the person you met come up trumps with homes :luck:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 13:45:01 PM »
This is her

Canterbury cats (Sharon)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 13:42:57 PM »
We have a number of Cat Protection rescues on here and think that Sharon at Canterbury probably has a form that they use for home checking and that may help you with questions that you can ask potential owners.

It maybe an idea to pm her and ask if she can email a copy to you, she is a very kind.

I will look for her Purrs name for you. Dont for get to give her a link to this thread and explain you are in Mexico  ;D

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 04:20:12 AM »
I am happy to report they are well, and Mom is gaining weight!

I took them to a new vet. They checked all of them, recommended Diamond kitten food for the mom, vitamins + nutriplus. She was thin... that was on Tuesday...

Today I went for followup and I'm glad to report Mom gained weight even with the kittens demanding more milk... they are 3 weeks now. Mom gained 200grams so they congratulated me, the grandmom :) now they told me I needed to get more in touch with them, put them close to me... mom never had issues about someone getting close to the kittens so she is also very friendly and usually sits on my lap. I brush her and tell her she is a good Mom and great cat.I like it that she drinks lots of water.. I should be doing the same... my boyfriend and me are happy to spend time socializing with them..

Dolce and Gabanna my own cats are not happy about it, but I try to cuddle more with each of them and give them treats.. I keep them separated from our visitors all the time.

That vet clinic is also a shelter and I didn't know it .. well more like an animal protection fund, and I met the founder there... he gave me a discount on the vitamins and said he would give me more discounts if I neutered all the cats and could help looking for good owners, put pictures on their webpages etc.

I am happy and feel more attached to the kittens :( the cat is named Trixy and I am planning on naming the others tomorrow... now that I know who is male and who female... 

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 20:13:51 PM »
How are the kittens doing?

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 01:40:16 AM »
Sure that is what I aim to do. I am gathering a calendar so I know how to raise those kittens the best way possible as I didn't expect to be the caretaker.
I hope you don't think I'm heartless perhaps I should have given more background. I'm glad you got it.

I am in a town in Mexico. Well its the second largest city but people here are not educated at all. (I am originally from the capital where at least some things are very different)

Why do they kill cats so horribly? because they don't want to waste money on avoiding suffering in animals as the shots are more expensive. For money. For like, 3 USD? It's a shame. But as my boyfriend said, look what humans do to other humans, what can you expect for the poor animals?

The rescue lady said cats got it better because dogs are killed that way too but they take many more days to die. And now I will stop because there are so many other stories that are worse, I feel very sad. Human stupidity has no limits.

Back to the topic: there was one coworker who wanted one but she has 2 dogs, one of them very tall and scary. I said: NO :). There is the girlfriend of a friend who is very sweet and I don't think she has other pets. So I am asking the rescue lady for the adoption questionaire so I can start printing it out. BTW, the kitties have started meowing and it was very very satisfying to me.... I always go to see how they are doing at lunchtime.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 18:03:15 PM »
All of my cats have come as individuals and it certainly hasn't done them any harm! If someone can offer one kitten a loving and secure home then go for it. Also, mother cats are often happy for their kittens to flee the nest and will cope just fine in a loving home.
If people can offer nice homes, please rehome these kittens and mother cat- either one their own ir in pairs, it doesn't matter as long as they are safe and cared for.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 17:31:03 PM »

And what about the mom? oh well I guess I can worry about her later. The reason I was wondering about putting them to sleep myself is not because I'm desperate to get rid of them, but because I know in the government/run shelter they grab stray cats and kill them throwing cold water at them until they die of being cold taking 2 or 3 days, then they freeze them and send them somewhere for who knows what "research"...

ARE YOU JOKING ?
OMG what country are you in ?

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 17:18:50 PM »
Thank you very much!! great idea!! I will look for foreigners first. Many come to learn spanish or work so I will also put an ad here in my company

I don't like to talk badly about connationals but sadly the education level in general is depressing. And the ones who are animal lovers love dogs, not cats.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 21:35:28 PM »
the same goes for places where Americans would see a 'homes wanted' notice, as I would imagine there are even more Americans in Mexico than Brits
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline StreetKatzRescue

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 21:29:33 PM »
Hi

I lived overseas, in the West Indies, many many years ago when conditions for animals, especially cats, were primitive to say the least.  My suggestion would be to contact the ex-pat community esp. the British, so perhaps embassies/consulates, British Council etc and advertise the kittens.  None should go until at least 8 weeks of age, preferably 9 wks +,  and I do agree with previous comments that in these circumstances it is better to find a good home for a single kitten than none at all.  Although expats will move on, many will stay for years, will have their animals neutered and will pass their animals on to other ex pats newly arrived.  It's not perfect but it's not a perfect world.  You will often find expats will be open to taking on 2 kittens and also a mum and kitten.  You need to say that mum cats grieve when their kittens go so it's nice for them to find a home with one of their babies  :sneaky:

Good luck and bless you for rescuing them!

Kate

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 21:07:23 PM »
I have never come accross someone who would pts a perfectly healthy kitten rather than rehome it on its own!!   :-:

I think its hard to comprehend what goes on overseas, we all know cruelty happens here but in some areas abroad its so much worse  :( so in some ways a quick end is preferable iyswim

D&G, if you find a nice genuine person who can offer a good home to one then do it, in an ideal world it wouldnt happen but we dont live in such a world  :(

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 20:58:30 PM »
Thanks Angel and all for your input.

Gosh please send good vibes so the kitties can go in pairs!

Yes I also think its better to give cats away on their own, of course, but sigh, I just heard so many stories from the rescue lady of how ppl seem nice and get them while they are still kittens and cute then abandon them when they are no longer "cute". I'd hate to know or find out one of my kitties ended up that way but I guess its not under my control.

The cat I rescued even had a tag on her neck and is very loving towards humans so we are assuming she was a home cat.. until she got pregnant and was abandoned fat on the streets where a friend of mine found it and called me and I went for them all.

And what about the mom? oh well I guess I can worry about her later. The reason I was wondering about putting them to sleep myself is not because I'm desperate to get rid of them, but because I know in the government/run shelter they grab stray cats and kill them throwing cold water at them until they die of being cold taking 2 or 3 days, then they freeze them and send them somewhere for who knows what "research"...

I don't know maybe its just that I had a very sad conversation with the lady who ran the rescue for decades, maybe she herself is sad but she is the one who tells me if I can't give away them to someone nice it would be better if I went to a vet and the cat would die painlessly not suffer in the streets or killed without mercy by dogs or "shelters"

I hope it doesn't come down to that and I very much appreciate your responses.

Offline angel-77

• Senior Cat
  • Tia & Oscar
  • Slave to: Tia (Tee'bo) & Oscar (Oscardoodles)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 20:33:30 PM »
I have never come accross someone who would pts a perfectly healthy kitten rather than rehome it on its own!!   :-:

Offline zoe (tiggy + pipins mum)

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 20:32:24 PM »
I don't think its cruel for a kitten to go on its own just as pairs they will always have each other as company, aslong as the kitten is provided with lots of love, attention, toys and play im sure they would be fine on there own :hug: xx

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 20:26:51 PM »
Thanks Millys Mum.

The thing is that now I am "the rescue" because I got some cats thinking I couuld take it to a rescue and then the lady couldnt take them :| she also mentioned someone else but told me the people she has sent her before (been saving animals for decades) are questionable and believed I would make a better job... and yes I am also of the idea that I either give away 2 kittens or none at all and try to find someone who can adopt 2.

But thanks if someone asks why not only 1 I can suggest for them to look for an older cat (like the mom... although I would like to give it with a kitty too so its only pairs I give away).

Also let's say I can't find anyone who is able to accept 2 kitties...and I can't keep them because I myself already got 2... is it better for them to be given away alone? or would it be less cruel to put them to sleep? I ask because I know in UK giving away a single cat is considered cruelty.

Perhaps I can ask the lady........ just wondering as I regard you UK people as more advanced in these things.... (I'm in Mexico..)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 20:19:06 PM »
I think kittens are better in pairs  ;D wont it be up to the rescue to decide tho?
If only those who want one kitten would have one adult cat who doesnt want to share, theres plenty of lovely cats in rescue who cant share with others, kittens nearly always love company

Offline DolceNGabanna

• Adult Cat
Giving away one cat versus two cats?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 18:29:56 PM »
Hi!! I rescued a cat with 5 kittens....
Some people have expressed their interest in the kittens but only in one...
I know it is better to give away 2 of them together. Is is bad to give away single kittens??
Most people are limited with money but I don't like the idea of a single cat missing their family :(
Opinions welcome..
Thank you  :Luv:

Link to CatChat