Author Topic: Beyond cute video of another rescue kit in water!!! PICS ADDED!  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Beyond cute video of another rescue kit in water!!! PICS ADDED!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 20:16:47 PM »
Bless her!  :Luv2:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Beyond cute video of another rescue kit in water!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 16:06:50 PM »
 :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: ahhh bless
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 15:55:47 PM »
Indeed  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 15:25:57 PM »
Such a heartwarming story.  :Luv2:   It could have ended so differently in less caring hands so well done to everybody involved.  :hug:  :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 13:03:38 PM »
 :Luv2: So hard being "cruel to be kind"
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Beyond cute video of another rescue kit in water!!! PICS ADDED!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 12:49:40 PM »
Velvet is another of Wharfe Valley's rescues which I wanted to show...

All of her litter mates died after their mum and dad were related and had deformed babies.

We had known for some time that she had hip problems as she kicked her back legs out when she walked. It wasn't bothering her so we just monitored her. After a year we could tell she was in pain. She was slow to get out of bed and preferred to lay down, even to eat and stopped playing out. We had to make a decision, do we call it a day, do we amputate the leg or what. Our Vet took new X-Rays and showed them to an Orthopaedic Consultant who thought the best option was to remove the top from the worst hip. We couldn't risk amputating as it would put too much strain on her other crumbling hip and if that one deteriorated then she would be doomed.

Those of you who know cats well will wonder how on earth Velvet coped in the water, I bet you cannot imagine your cat going for a swim.....or can you. I don't think any of my own cats would volunteer. As Velvet was a handrear she is imprinted on humans and a simple soul really. I can't say she enjoyed swimming but she wasn't distressed. It got her walking much more quickly so was worth it. In between her visits to the pool, she had extra lessons in the fosterers bath. It had to be filled right to the top and she swam from end to end wearing her little harness. She keeps clear of the bathroom now.  She needed to improve her wasted muscles as quickly as possible. It was a long two weeks, there didn't seem to be much improvement, then suddenly she got her confidence back and started walking and hasn't looked back. She runs up the garden and chases anything that moves, loves a rough and tumble with the other cats. She is a kitten again. She needs daily medication to try and stop any further damage so will always cost the branch, but it is all worth it when you see that she is so happy. She will probably need her other hip operating on but lets hope she can enjoy the summer first.

Thanks to all who helped Velvet, the staff at Carlton Cattery Hydrotherapy Pool and their Physiotherapist who offered their services for free and also to Andy the Vet who made it all possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnk3XjQQcSg

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 12:18:18 PM by wharfevalleycatsprotection »
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Link to CatChat