Author Topic: Enticing a nervous cat back home...  (Read 3234 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Enticing a nervous cat back home...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
....and another. I called the cattery yesterday and she's doing well. Not lost any weight because unfortunately despite the diet, she's in a pen so doesn't have the opportunity to run around a great deal. However she's friendly with staff (unless they try and pick her up!) and likes cuddles.

She hisses a lot at other cats if she sees them, but to be fair she's been kept indoors with no exposure to other cats, so I'd think that's pretty normal.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 13:51:27 PM »
Update....this girl is now being funded by social services. The RSPCA are no longer involved. ;)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 22:32:54 PM »
Urgh. The RSPCA are being most uncooperative. They called me back (finally, after I left four messages four days in a row...) to say that this cat was in a rescue and that they'd called the young mans social worker and signed the cat over to social services. They refused to tell me which cattery she was in because "their cruelty cases went there" (How would I have known that had they not told me....?) which meant I couldn't call to talk to someone at the cattery to see how she was. I asked for the social workers contact information and the inspector informed me that as soon as he'd made the call he'd thrown away the paper; good record keeping! He also told me they couldn't find any catteries that would take the cat closer to her home because they didn't know about her innoculations.

Sooooo, I called the local mental health group. A nice lady called me back today and said it was all a bit of a mystery as she can find no evidence of the financial information regarding this cat being signed over to them. She also informed me that the inspector is talking a croc because she knows of at least three catteries in the area with isolation pens. (She didn't use the word "croc" she was more colourful. :evillaugh:) She's going to call me as soon as she knows any more.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »
Hopefully everything will turn out well for all xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2010, 21:02:38 PM »
 :hug: Rosella, it's not happening for him yet. But hopefully soon....

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 20:43:00 PM »
Just seen this JS.  That's just fabulous.  Hope your mate finds some peace of mind asap  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 20:23:21 PM »
Definitely. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 20:15:07 PM »
Oh lovely, nice when someone uses their brains!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 20:08:02 PM »
Amazingly (and if you'd met the cat you'd know this was amazing...) someone on the road that backs on to her road saw her and managed to entice her into the house. They noticed she smelt strongly of smoke and put two and two together....she was handed over to the RSPCA who posted a card through the letterbox. The card was brought round to me and I've been advised to talk to the Duty social worker about getting said cat housed in a cattery paid for by social services until this chap is on the mend. However two people who know him have offered to care for her when he's in any fit state to give his permission for that to be the case.

She is currently safely ensconced in a private cattery.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 19:40:02 PM »
Has she been sighted at all? A leaflet drop may be a good idea incase she chooses a safe spot in someones shed

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 17:17:46 PM »
OK, I'm not sure how to put this politely but the house smelled very strongly before the fire and still does. I don't actually think she had a bed that was hers (she slept where she liked) and anything of his is either sodden or smells of smoke.

I've set up a cat carrier with blankets in it and a thick curtain covering it so she has a warm safe place and have put food and water under a sheltered area next to it.

She may need a foster home until this lad's released and I know of nowhere that would help with that.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 16:57:29 PM »
I suppose it depends how bad the fire was but won't things from home just smell of smoke??

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 16:56:35 PM »
How awful, I can't think of anything other than items which smell of home before she was so scared  :(

I hope your friend is OK  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 15:08:03 PM »
All I can think of is food and blankets/clothes that smell of home put into a trap. It might take a long time though.

I hope you find her soon so she can be warm and safe. The fire must have scared her half to death.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Enticing a nervous cat back home...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 22:14:03 PM »
What's the best way?

Someone I know has had a seriously bad experience today in the form of a house fire. His cat (a house cat) streaked out of the house when the fire brigade went in and belted off up the road.

Any suggestions on the best way to encourage her to her home area so I can care for her until he's back home?

Link to CatChat