Author Topic: Novel idea to get black cats noticed....  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
Re: Novel idea to get black cats noticed....
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 19:48:25 PM »
They are names of characters from the film Snatch, Sabrina.  ;) I and the rest of our fosterers tend to pick names that follow themes. We've had pairs of kittens called Bangkok and Hilton, Marmite and Toast, Holmes and Watson. Caroline had a litter last year called Maltezer, Snickers, Flake, Mars and Bounty. At the moment Caroline has three boy kittens called Norman, Stanley and Fletcher.  :evillaugh: All the strays we took in over Christmas had boozey names - Lanson, Champers, Moet, Bubbles and Bolinger.  :naughty:

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 16:44:43 PM »
Names do certainly play a part in attracting potential new homes. We always try to be imaginative when chosing names for strays. My last litter of pure black kittens were called Frankie Four Fingers, Boris the Bullet Dodger, Turkish, Bricktop and Gorgeous George. They flew out the door! :evillaugh:

One example of a successful adoption of an adult puss, which directly came about because of the name we chose, was a large black Tom cat we called 'Diesel' who was adopted by an HGV driver.  :rofl:

Sounds like you've got a hold of one of those name generator websites, that does mafia names ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 16:20:38 PM »
Names do certainly play a part in attracting potential new homes. We always try to be imaginative when chosing names for strays. My last litter of pure black kittens were called Frankie Four Fingers, Boris the Bullet Dodger, Turkish, Bricktop and Gorgeous George. They flew out the door! :evillaugh:

One example of a successful adoption of an adult puss, which directly came about because of the name we chose, was a large black Tom cat we called 'Diesel' who was adopted by an HGV driver.  :rofl:

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 13:15:09 PM »
I've always been surprised when people say black cats and black and white cats are hard to re-home, as they don't get noticed, because most of the cats I have ever had living with me have been black and white or black. I don't know if this is because as a child the first cat we ever had was black and therefore I have a soft spot for them or if it is just I let the cats pick me rather than me picking the cat usually and I just give off black and white vibes...

I reckon adventurous names are worth a try if it gets them more of a chance of being picked. Whatever it takes to get more cats re-homed is worth a try.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Novel idea to get black cats noticed....
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 11:24:26 AM »
Have been reading "Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul" and there's a lovely story in it about a lady that works in rescue and came across the novel idea of naming black cats something 'colourful' so people would notice them...

It's called Black Jellybeans by Dorian Solot. Definitely worth a read.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 15:24:09 PM by JackSpratt »

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Link to CatChat