Author Topic: just got back from going to pick up 4 kittens from Birmingham GUm...RIP Munchies  (Read 8275 times)

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
I am going to lock this now until other moderators become involved. I don't want this thread to impact negatively on Purrs.

Angie, I understand entirely wanting to get your point of view across. Any further exchanges between you and pp might be best done privately.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Hi,

I think we may need to lock this thread at some point but not before I say something in our defence.

Young kittens die all the time, look at the agony that Judith has been through over the last few months and the number of kittens that have died. Judith, as anyone who has had dealings with knows, is one of the most caring , hard working, loving people there is and looks after the foster cats she has in to a very high standard. Those on this forum that work with her or have adopted from her know that, but that has not stopped her losing kittens last year and this year. We have to work with what we are given - something Judith's vet has said to her as she has been in tears at his surgery.

Cats come into rescue and very often the ones we have most problems with health-wise are the young females who have been left to have several litters over a relatively short space of time.
Munchies had had how many litters ? 3 or 4, The others 2 or 3.?

There was cat flu in the house. Wasn't it Mini Me who had a bad chest as a kitten 'but got over it?'. The 12 week old will need medication for the rest of its life.

Poor Munchies has been left with a womb infection and though someone had mentioned 'discharge' in the house no one had taken her to the vets - the day we arrived you had planned to but 'had no transport' - a taxi would not have cost much and may have saved her life.

As it is we took them all to the emergency vet as said in this thread and she was angry at the state of them all and asked us we were were going to report you to the RSPCA. We said no that you were not cruel, obviously cared but were a bit 'clueless' - she replied that ignorance was not an excuse.

We were at the vet for 2 hours that night and that evening and the next two days while we tried to save Munchies life cost the group five or six hundred pounds, I have the bill here somewhere.....

When Munchies was pts the vet also informed us that there were strange perforations around Munchies rear and asked us if there were rats that could have been getting at Munchies while she was poorly - not said anything of this before as no one really knew what could have caused this skin damage - perhaps someone in another rescue has come across something similar.

The kittens and other mum cat died because of a viral infection with complications. Call it cat flu, cat cold or whatever. They did not die of cold.
All of us rescue people have seen and been involved in similar cases where overbreeding causes weakening of the animals.

I think it is priceless if you are implying that these animals died in some way because of neglect on our part - if here was neglect then it sits squarely with you. Cats and kittens need more that love, cuddles and kisses - they need to be looked after properly.

Ultimately, I am sorry the cats did die because of the way you had allowed them to live and the fault does lie with you. I am sorry to say it but it is the truth.
You have three hopefully healthy cats there so concentrate on their wellbeing and treat the experience as a horrible lesson that cats cannot be allowed to have litters of kittens continually, not only due to their being too many cats to have homes but for health reasons.

I am sorry for your loss but you have no right to think it was caused by anything we did.

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
Dawn I think maybe I will follow you.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sorry but I'm going to have to walk away from this one

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
pp, welcome to the forum.

I have to advise you to be very careful what you say on an open thread - accusing fosterers of leaving kittens "out in the cold to die" is a pretty serious allegation. If you have any problems regarding this situation I advise you to contact Angie privately and not undermine people that do rescue work out of the kindness of their hearts on a site made for that purpose. I can understand your concerns, but the fact is a cat can be suffering and look seemingly "fine" in a home - only when it receives veterinary treatment and a trained vet looks at it can the extent of the problem become apparent. Were the cats and kittens taken for check ups in your care after giving birth? If not, why not?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:28:16 AM by JackSpratt »

Offline pp

• Kitten
no, they were running around, playing and eating in my house. Angie said they died of cold, so obvioulsy it must have been cold in the house for them to die

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
PP are you seriously suggesting that these people went to all the time, trouble and expense of rescuing these cats from you to leave them out in the cold to die. These cats died because they were very ill when they were rescued. They came from your home as very sick animals. They did not die because of anything the rescuers did.

Offline pp

• Kitten
No, im serious. why

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
sorry but you are seriously misguided

Offline pp

• Kitten
SKULLY, it is my cat and has nothing to do with you, all the cats were fine in my house, but how come all of a sudden they started dieing, Angie said that the two kittens died of Pneumonia, so that means that the fosteres were not looking after them, and left them outside, they died of the cold. So its not our fault they died.

But we are very grateful for everything Angie has done

Offline Skully

• Adult Cat
    • Pirate Pixie Crew
PP are you serious? Scroll up and have a look at all the cats and kittens in the photos and work out just how many of them have survived even after they had been rescued and given all the veterinary treatment they could get. If I had my way the original owner of these cats would be banned from ever keeping any pets ever again. The suffering they have allowed to happen to all those cats is shocking to any animal lover. Cats are not toys that you own, they are living sentient creatures. I just can't believe that this little sick cat would be looked after properly if handed back. She wasn't looked after adequately before she was removed from their home, why should it be any different now?

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat

Offline pp

• Kitten
Yeah mini is fine and well and the two boy's have been neuterd and are fine. I am sad that i will never see my baby kitten ever again. I think of her everyday not a day will go by that she's not in my thoughts. I just wish i could hold her in my arms once again.

Angie

Thank's for all the work u have done your the best :wow:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
sorry pp,

the lady who has her has her as a permanent cat and would kill me rather than let her go.

Is mini Me ok? I know there was a worry about her spay scar - was she taken to the vet? How are the boys doing? have they now been neutered as planned and did they get over it Ok?

Also with the PDSA, you can only have up to a certain number of animals registered with them. In Coventry it is three and I know its 2 in some areas.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 21:36:26 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline pp

• Kitten
Hi, i just read your message, and i spoke to the owners and they are asking if they can have there kitten back, they always talk about her everyday, they miss her alot. All her family are here - Mini Me (her mum) also her 2 brothers. She would be alot happy here in her home where she knows everyone, she would be back to her normal self when she see's her family. Please can we have her back. She will be well looked after plus we will pay for her medication what ever the cost is, plus we have our own PDSA.

P.s thanks for everything you have done, but she really needs to be with her family. ;D

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
sorry, yes I forgot about her.
The tortie was the 12 week old who had breathing difficulties. We have placed her in a permanent foster home where we continue to pay for her ongoing medication. She is nearly constantly on antibiotics and when she stops she's back to a chest infection. The fosterer is trying to build up her immune system as well as giving her the antibiotics, but it is likely that some of the damage done by the flu/respiratory infection will remain with her all her life, as it does it some cases.
She is getting to 'that age' and we were actually talking yesterday as to if we should risk spaying her or give her one of those contraceptive jabs because her chest is bad at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 21:10:45 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline pp

• Kitten
Hi Angie this is a friend of munchies the  cat's owner.............R.I.P Munchies

how is munchies  tortoise kitten the one u rehomed doing?

Offline pp

• Kitten
So sad i feel like crying :( :(

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
 :'( :'( :'( - poor babies xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Sadly it was not a happy ending on this only the tabby/tortie mum survived and was returned and 2 of her kittens homed.

Offline pp

• Kitten
Hello Angie how is the Black and White cat doing?.................she looks so cute :Luv: ;D

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
So sorry you are having a rough ride, but I am confused, thought most of these had been handed to other rescues.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
angry about what????????????

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Well this has been a sorry tale.

We have one mum to return on Sunday and 2 kittens to rehome.
Huge vet bill and angry owners.

Anyone want to do rescue?

RIP to those that didn't make it.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
poor munchies - play hard at the bridge little one.

So pleased that you managed to get to her Angie and end her suffering sooner rather than later :hug:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Sorry Angie  :hug:

RIP Munchies
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
RIP Munchies, at least you were given every chance and then allowed to go with dignity.

Fingers crossed for the others.
Please spay your cat

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
RIP Munchies,   play hard on the bridge baby girl  :hug:

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
RIP Munchies  :'(

At least you wasnt alone and in pain - run free sweetheart  xxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
Poor Munchies, so sorry to hear this. Sweet dreams little girl   :Luv2:

Hope all the others will be ok.

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
So sorry to read this.  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
RIP Munchies. You didn't deserve that end, sweetheart.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
 :'( So sad

RIP sweet little Munchies xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Poor little cat. RIP Munchies

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Re: just got back from going to pick up 4 kittens from Birmingham GUm.....
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 14:28:18 PM »
Munchies the mum cat at the vet was spayed yesterday. the infection was all over uterus, into ovaries and half way to her kidneys. She seemed better yesterday afternoon and ate some food but today took a turn for the worse.

Her breathing had become more laboured and the vet took off 20ml of fluid from around her lungs (she said very easily) and it was her opinion that munchies had had enough, would probably have a bad weekend and die, that we had done all we could for her and it was time - so we have agreed that she be pts.

Little cat, her older kitten of 3 months,  was tested yesterday for FELV which was negative but we are going to do the same with munchies as a double check as the vet thinks there may be more going on. I think with 11 kittens and 2 adults its something we need to do.

Just finished disinfecting and cleaning so all traces of them is now gone and OH just phoned to tell me his flight number and he is boarding! Phew!

RIP Munchies.....

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 15:21:16 PM »
So mums are being spayed and returned?

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 15:01:48 PM »
the owners come in the caring but cat-ignorant category.
By giving mums back we don't have them using space here, the mums are used to the house and its germs and v/v and my worry is that kittens are 10 a penny in that area and if they felt they wanted another cat they would find it easy to get a couple and , though I hope lesson learnt (or will be after I've talked to them), they could find themselves with a couple of pregnant cats before they realised and the whole process could start again.

Offline Shirley

• Hero Cat
  • My Ollie
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 14:45:46 PM »
Lovely photos-the mommy at the bottom looks like my Chuchy!   :Luv2: :Luv2:  I AM confused tho-why would one of them be going back to the owner when he/she obviously can't look after them, or is it a case of just having too many?? 

Fingers crossed for them all   :Luv2: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 12:21:54 PM »
Blimey, full to bursting! (OH's music room....yep, sounds familiar. My partners room gets ambushed if I take on a short stay cat too. ;))

How many kittens are there altogether? The younger lot looks to have about eight! And ginger and white babies; my friend has a serious soft spot for them. :)

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:10:37 PM »

bad pics but nevermind. mum and 4 - 7weeks
mum and 7 10-days

OH's clean and tidy music room with little snuffly girl in rabbit cage in background by window.

Link to CatChat