Author Topic: Advice on foster – how far should I go?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice on foster – how far should I go?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 12:11:30 PM »
As Julie said, it is very common to have cats acting completely differently, especially if they have gone from a multicat household to a non cat/smaller cat household. I spend a hour with foster cats (excluding feeding/cleaning), and it depends on the cat what we do - some prefer to just sit on my knee, others prefer to play - Ellie seems to vary, some days all she wants to do is play, others she wont entertain Da Mouse, and I have to sit and fuss her instead. I do play with interactive toys, as she doesn't leave the cat room, and is only a youngster, so she needs something to help with her energy. I have never really had a problem with cats going to new houses and not having as much play time as here, although I know it has happened, although more often than not they are indoor only here and allowed out in their new home, as well as not being confined, so dynamics are different when rehoming anyway.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »
Yep , I can vouch for the empty loo roll holders working! :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 19:35:49 PM »
I would also just like to say a change in environment can have a radical effect on a cat. We see it time and time again!   :shy: Often we think people have been telling porkies about the cats when they sign them over to our care... for instance a cat that it is claimed to be soiling all over the house and furniture goes straight to a tray and uses it religiously in a foster's home.  :innocent: Sometimes obviously it IS a lie but sometimes it's not and they were living in a hell-hole before... sounds to me like puss just needed a fresh start.  :)

I wouldn't devote too much time to interactive play, certainly no more than is wise for basic therapy. Not all potential adoptive homes are going to be able to devote long stretches of time every single day to playing with a cat. If puss gets too used to it, the rescue may find she comes bouncing back if she gets too demanding. So it's wise to encourage her to play with toys herself as well as interactive stuff. ;)

And by the by, you don't need to go buying expensive toys for her. Always think of her new owners and whether you're making a rod for their backs. Use your imagination. If she likes noisey things, some dried peas in a cola bottle is fun to roll around. Empty loo roll tubes are excellent toys and my kittens have hours of fund with them. Leaves and feathers collected from the garden are good for pretend prey hunting.  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 18:59:40 PM »
It sounds like she already knows what she wants so id play with her to her levels and advise the rescue that she seeks a home with someone prepared to put plenty of time in with her, she will be happy then  ;D

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
Advice on foster – how far should I go?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 18:56:44 PM »

As you probably know I have just taken on my first foster, a 6 month old kitten (Penny) who is thought to have been ill-treated and has come to me for TLC.  She was very aggressive to the other cats and kittens in her previous foster home and indeed quite aggressive with her fosterer when she had to be confined to one room because of her attitude to the other cats so I was told to expect a horror.  What I’ve actually got is a confident, trusting litle girl who loves company and cuddles.  She's only been with me for 3 days and of course she may just be on her best behaviour until she gets her paws under the table but I think its more likely that she just needed to get away from a multicat household and have her own slave(s).  She does have a tendency to nip during play or when she wants to play and you’re sitting quietly but no more so than any other kitten of her age who hasn’t been taught her manners.  Thats where the question arises really.  I obviously need to spend time playing with her and teaching her the boundaries but how much time and what sort of play?  I'm very aware that this is not her forever home and if I give her too much attention might I be making a rod for someone else’s back or, worse still, turning her into the sort of cat who gets returned after homing because she is too demanding?

So far we have a play session of about 30 minutes in the morning where she rushes up and down the hall, stairs and landing and hides behind the front door curtain or under the furniture, jumping out at me (without any aggression I might add) when I walk around asking ‘where’s my little girl?’  (I know where she is even if I haven’t seen her hide because I can hear her purring  :Luv2:).  We have a similar length session in the early evening which is mostly football in the kitchen with a balled piece of newpaper or a pingpong ball.  In between times she seems content just to be wherever I (or OH) happen to be (we are both retired so at home a lot  of the time, especially in this weather). 

Is this enough?  If she was my cat I would get some toys to stimulate her further ?da bird, but if her new owner doesn’t like to play at being a bird will Penny get resentful and act up?
Is being in our company all day a good thing or should I schedule some time out where she is on her own (I could put her in the ‘granny flat’ which is where she sleeps at night).

All suggestions gratefully received.

Link to CatChat