Author Topic: Im going to knit some cat blankets to use up my mountain of odds  (Read 14280 times)

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
    • www.ilovehernebay.co.uk
Re: Im going to knit some cat blankets to use up my mountain of odds
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 18:29:49 PM »
There is a pattern for a cat bed on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Easy-knitting-pattern-A-comfy-cushion-bed-for-your-cat_W0QQitemZ330395670705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH?hash=item4ced1dd8b1#ht_1462wt_1167

It look too small for the cat in the photo  :Crazy: - why are so many cat beds tiny? - Don't they realise cats lie down to sleep?  :Crazy:

My Jumpy would give it a go but the overspill of bum would not be dignified.  :evillaugh:

:rofl:

Flumpet would have looked like a hovvercraft on that tiny icke thing
Run wild out on the edge of time Flump
Carry you dreams away love
For you are an island

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 21:19:33 PM »
There is a pattern for a cat bed on eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Easy-knitting-pattern-A-comfy-cushion-bed-for-your-cat_W0QQitemZ330395670705QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH?hash=item4ced1dd8b1#ht_1462wt_1167

It look too small for the cat in the photo  :Crazy: - why are so many cat beds tiny? - Don't they realise cats lie down to sleep?  :Crazy:

My Jumpy would give it a go but the overspill of bum would not be dignified.  :evillaugh:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 20:58:36 PM »
I agree thats far too small. Flumpet had about 4 towards the end but when we  give a home to a furry friend again Ill make one.
His fav thing ever was this massive d bed pure wool tartan pink blanket from Ikea. It was so big he could pridddy proddy around with his paws and make a nest in it on the sofa, tummy always roasting in the sunshine of course!.
For you are an island

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »
I am searching for the ultimate bed. Clapton doesn't like proper beds but I wanted something to support his neck. The same goes for Alice when she is in front of the heater. I have ended up ordering a pad with a ridge around the edge that goes in a dog cage as they have something to support their necks - similar to a pillow (search cinnamon mattress on ebay  :evillaugh: )
So many cat beds are just so small and/or impractical - I need to be able to put them in the washing machine.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2010, 19:44:12 PM »
 :) It's quite nice that - if it were a bit bigger  :-: 
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 19:32:43 PM »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 19:33:03 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 19:04:35 PM »
Howdie Doodie to you 2 , it nice to be back and a relief that AOL finally reconnected us after trying to tell us we didnt get the internet through them  :Crazy:
For you are an island

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 17:41:38 PM »
 :welcome: back FM!  ;D

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 20:53:48 PM »
Nice to be back huns x :hug:
For you are an island

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 12:20:27 PM »
Great to see you back on Purrs FM  :hug:

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 20:28:50 PM »
Hi, Do you know of any rescues that need blankets and the size as I knit them from 1st adding a st either end, then when right size dec. 1st,should be perfect square. I have 2 elderly cats and 2 rescue dogs and 2 hens. Lurve animals. Knit dog coats and cat blankets now I am retired. Sandra :welcome:

Hi Sandra

I knitted one b4 Chrissie and I ended up with one about 45cm square from one ball of DB in mixed wool on number fours.
 :-[ I lost it along with the item I was going to put into the auction when we moved  and there both still in the pile of stuff we need to sort through. :-[ :-[ I have just given a ickle donation to catchat as I missed the auction.
Im gonna knit some more to use up all my odd balls and once Iv got a stack Im gonnal givem away.
Simply knitting magazine are doing a gorgeous cat toy pattern in the next issue if your interested.

For you are an island

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 23:20:32 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Sandra

I know nothing about knittng I'm afraid, do you have any rescues local to you that might need some cosy blankets - they could perhaps guide you best on size  ;D

Why not introduce yourself in the 'warm welcome to newbies' section, would love to hear more about you and your animals  :)

Offline 121149knitting

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 20:50:13 PM »
 Hi, Do you know of any rescues that need blankets and the size as I knit them from 1st adding a st either end, then when right size dec. 1st,should be perfect square. I have 2 elderly cats and 2 rescue dogs and 2 hens. Lurve animals. Knit dog coats and cat blankets now I am retired. Sandra :welcome:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 20:09:57 PM »
I like that name :evillaugh: ( I might get told off though :scared: )

You might!!  ;) 

Somehow, though, I doubt it.   

I have refered, in the local press,  to our local Council as The Rotten Borough of Kingston upon Thames, rather than Royal Borough.  I also, when having a long protracted battle with the Council tax Department (I eventually won!) addressed letters to "council Tax Office, AKA The Department of Blood Suckers, Leeches and Ticks"

The head of the Department was a Mr Knights - you could wind him up if you had to meet him by humming "(K)Nights in White Satin" .... 

When he turned up late for a meeting, he became "Knight on the Tiles".....

The letters always got through!! 

Sent one on cardboard too!  It was a "stiff" letter ....  :evillaugh:

And Im still here to tell the tale ......
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 20:00:49 PM »
I like that name  :evillaugh: ( I might get told off though  :scared: )

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
People Power Works!!!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 19:45:13 PM »
I got my mothercare ones in the hospice shop in Broadstairs. I think they are quite warm as hospital blankets used to be cotton waffle. I "borrowed" one from a nurse friend and use to cover myself with it in my old flat that only had storage heaters and got quite cold and it helped a lot. I know Hernia Bay has its fair share of charity shops but you'll have to beat me to the bargains!  :evillaugh: - I got a few of my knitted blankets in the Dogs Trust shop in HB but they seem to have put the prices up lately.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 19:46:34 PM by Mark »

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 19:31:25 PM »
Well I have started...

Doing 16 x 16 in one as I started on some 10 x 10 squares last night and got fed up.
Going to do it as a pouch attached to same size cushion cover with pillow case opening so it can be filled or used on own.
Should be interesting to see how it pans out. Have started witha ball of   70% acrylic 30% wool mellow  heather and that should do this one.

I found a huge crochet blanket in a charity shop once and Flumpet loved it. It was huge! Put it on the sofa in a massive pile for him and he soon made a deep dent in it. But in the end I found you just couldnt keep it clean of hairs so chucked it out. He also got his paws caught in it and I had to go and realease him.

Gill, the auction sounds good. Is there more info on the site? If Iv only finished this one by then you can do that with it and then maybe sell some more for funds.

Those blankets from Mothercare are great but I didnt find them at all warm for baby. Theyre v expensive so to find them for 50p ina a bargain! We ended up buying baby those sleeping bags without the arms and velour all in ones.

Jasmine :wow:
Thats amazing! We got Flumpet from Derby CP so if your anywhere up there they might have been related. Your Sweep looks as though hes even got what we called Flumps go faster stripe on the left hand side of his face.He looks very cuddley indeed. :Luv:

I had one jumper, sage green lambs wool and Flump loved it but our little purrfections luv anything mums been in.Another thing I do is go to jumble sales and buy wool sweaters from there. People in good areas give them lovaly soft wool jumpers so for a wooly lover and for Flumpet its v inexpensive.In fact he had a larrge cashmere mens turqoise sweater at one pint that was gourgous.

Must do some knitting. 2 " a day and we should get there in 8 of them

Nightie night and sleep tight

Sonja xxx :(
For you are an island

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 18:42:19 PM »
Hi Sonja,

So sorry to hear about Flumpet  :hug:
(She looks the twin of my Sweep - see http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,25360.0.html).

I often adopt oldies and I know they love knitted blankets (whatever the colour scheme!).
Another idea might be to make knitted catnip balls - I used to buy these from a rescue on Ebay, but they don't seem to be selling goods any more.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 16:42:02 PM »

I would make them with a cotton backing - brushed cotton might be nice and cosy if you can source some.  I'm just wondering how to make allowances for differential shrinkage - perhaps putting them together in a slightly bag-like form would deal with that.  It would also mean people could put a heat pad inside if they wished.

a pouch which would take a heat pad or a hot water bottle - or anything really to turn it into a cushion - about 16" square I would say

it's always useful to have spare cushion covers so as not to put a favourite perch out of action when some laundering is urgently required
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 16:35:51 PM »
Mr Ts favourite "blankets" appear to be my "just taken off" clothes.

Doesnt matter if its the tee-shirt Ive worn all day or the jacket I had on for a brief nip to the paper shop - anything of mine has to be sat on or nested in!!

Pepper is the same, when hubby throws something off, like his coat outside now - Pep is asleep on it  :evillaugh:

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 16:23:55 PM »
Mr Ts favourite "blankets" appear to be my "just taken off" clothes.

Doesnt matter if its the tee-shirt Ive worn all day or the jacket I had on for a brief nip to the paper shop - anything of mine has to be sat on or nested in!!

So, right now, Sir is asleep on the bed on the nightdress I wore last night.  He has little fce cuddld up in it.  Awwww  :Luv2:

As I dont fancy a cat-fur-lined nightie - I see a washing session coming on .....  :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 10:06:48 AM »
Schui hated the ones with holes because he was afraid of his claws catching whereas Byron will sleep on practically anything she doesn't mind the ones with holes in!  :innocent:  (I have some Mothercare blankets which have been liked too)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 10:06:06 AM »
Could you tell me whats the best size roughtly to do and is it best to line the back with cotton,fleece or just make them with a  cotton backing  with opening and then let whoevers using them put something in them if needed.

I would make them with a cotton backing - brushed cotton might be nice and cosy if you can source some.  I'm just wondering how to make allowances for differential shrinkage - perhaps putting them together in a slightly bag-like form would deal with that.  It would also mean people could put a heat pad inside if they wished.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 09:54:13 AM »
I think you miss read that Baz LOL

I suspect that ones with holes in are not liked cos claws get caught in them, so knit nneds to be close together

Exactly  :evillaugh: - The doyley type ones apart from looking hideous, get caught on the cats claws.

In a way, the ones that are knitted with fake wool are better as they can be washed in bio powder after getting throwup or cat food on them  :sick:

The best ones are the cotton Mothercare baby blankets - I got some for 50p each in a charity shop. Alice has a heated bed and another dog bed with a flectabed on it so the heat is reflected through the cotton blanket.

I only paid 50p each in a charity shop but even new they are worth it (they are BOGOHP at the moment  ;D ) as they wash & wash - even at 60o http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Cotton-cellular-blanket/dp/B000JIDUPK/sr=1-1/qid=1255251454/ref=sr_1_1/279-1111897-8140213?_encoding=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44397031&mcb=core

I might get some of these flannelette sheets as well - http://www.mothercare.com/dp/B000JIDUTQ/ref=pd_cpl_room/279-1111897-8140213?_encoding=UTF8&mcb=core

« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:02:31 AM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 01:56:49 AM »
Its hard to see with your eyes shut lol!  :P :rofl: :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 01:49:53 AM »
I think you miss read that Baz LOL

I suspect that ones with holes in are not liked cos claws get caught in them, so knit nneds to be close together

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 01:41:04 AM »
The only ones my cats don't like are the crocheted ones that are "holey"  :censored:

Could'nt you get the same sort of effect by knitting with bigger needles?  :sneaky:

I think it a fab idea.....what a lovely suggestion!  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 00:54:56 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs and sorry to hear about Flumpet  :hug:

Love that name  ;D

We have an auction starting in mid november and all the money goes to a rescue on Purrs, so you may think that putting them in the auction a good idea unless you have a rescue already in mind......if purrchance they werent bid on then they could still go to a rescue  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 23:17:12 PM »
Hi Sonja,

Sorry to hear about Flumpet  :hug:

I haven't actually seen lined ones but Cotton lined might be nice so people can use the other side in the summer?

The only ones my cats don't like are the crocheted ones that are "holey"  :censored:

I try to find ones that aren't to garish as some of the colour combos are  :sick:   :evillaugh:

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 22:26:43 PM »
I am sorry for your loss, Flumpet is gorgeous. :hug:

I think its a great idea doing blankets for rescues.x

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 21:29:07 PM »
 :Luv2: ahh Flumpet is just gorgeous Sonja  :hug:

I am sure someone will be along to give you details of the sorts of blankets xx

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 20:55:20 PM »
Welcome to Purrs!!  :welcome:

Flumpet was a beautiful cat  :)

And what a lovely idea, knitting blankets - I think thats a wonderful way to help!!
People Power Works!!!

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
Im going to knit some cat blankets to use up my mountain of odds
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 20:43:25 PM »
Hi

Im a newbie and as some of you know I've sadly just had to let my darling Flumpet 16  go.
As an avid knitter Im going to use up my mountain of odd balls and knit some cat blankets and would luv some shelters to have them
Could you tell me whats the best size roughtly to do and is it best to line the back with cotton,fleece or just make them with a  cotton backing  with opening and then let whoevers using them put something in them if needed.

I dont want another cat until baby is a few yrs older so I need something to do now in the evenings now I havnt got my Fluffy Flumpet to fuss.
Just finishing off a ladybird cardi for ickle one and then Ill churn some out.

Sonja x

This is a picci of Flumpet about 3/4 yrs ago

For you are an island

Link to CatChat