Author Topic: Homecheckers  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Homecheckers
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 08:10:16 AM »
Debs, we dont have a homing co-ordinator, we aren't set up like that. I always make sure i ask which cats I am doing a homecheck for, as I do think that is important, but I never know who has advised them at the rescue, or what is on the pre-adoption form, I think I should ask more about that.

I agree Angie - I have always liked homechecking for mine and knowing 100% that it is a good home, I do think it helps fosterers to let go, and it is also easier to keep in touch, I have made some good friends with people who have adopted my cats, and knowing the cat you can suggest things. All the cats in the new rescue are in a shelter, there is just the odd ones like the two here that are in foster homes. The homecheck I did on Fri was interesting, as I didnt know the two cats in question, i just got told two kittens - I met them the day after though, and I would have asked a few other questions if I had known exactly which two kittens they were. I also find it difficult not to ring them up after they have got the cats to see how they are settling in, might ask if they would mind me doing that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 15:40:23 PM »
we can do both.

I think its only fair that if the fosterer wants to decide where the cat should go its up to them - I don't think we'd keep any fosterers if someone else dictated where they went. They are the ones that have bonded with the cat and looked after it for however long. I think it is different where the animal is in a shelter.

If there is a problem of too much attachment then sometimes two of us go so at least one can be unbiased. (or if the home visit is likely to result in a rejection - we do say at the time if the home visit has passed).

I actually don't like doing home visits for cats I don't know. One, I can't answer any of the questions about the cat and two, I sometimes worry that I am more likely to accept traffic than I might be for one of mine.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 20:19:01 PM »
We have a booklet which we devised to let the home visitors know exactly what we would look for and what we need to ask. We then take their recommendations as to what age/ type of cat would suit the environment and then the homing co-ordinator works with the thorough feedback to assess which cat would fit. It works really well but the homing co-ordinator has to make sure they know the cats well so it takes a lot of communication.

If I were you I would speak to the homing co-ordinator/ team leader and see if there are guidelines as to what's expected. It's also important to have consistency so that you know what has been said.
At our branch, even if someone calls about a specific cat, we will always say that we will keep that cat in mind but will do a very open home visit and stress that it is not for that specific cat as it could be that a different cat would be more suitable. It also means people aren't disappointed if the cat they like is homed in the meantime or isn't for them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 19:57:45 PM »
That's an interesting way of doing things. Since changing rescue, I do homechecks for cats that I dont know, and I find it really hard, probably more that I don't really know what has already been said to them, as they have been to the rescue. I just wonder if there is more that I should be asking the rescue before I go to the house.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 13:56:32 PM »
As a branch, none of our fosterers homecheck as sometimes they may be emotionally attached to their foster cats so may not see things in a totally clear or unbiased way- to be honest though, we never home visit for specific cats. We assess the homes and then suggest the cats that will meet the home's requirements. It works really well and all our cats are well matched to their homes. It also means we rarely turn people down as there is usually a cat who will fit.
I do home visits but don't foster (occasionally emergency foster but that's it). All of our fosterers prefer doing that to the home checks anyway so none of them have volunteered to do them.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Homecheckers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:31:50 AM »
Does anyone on here purely homecheck, rather than homecheck for their own fosters?
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat