Author Topic: semi ferals  (Read 2891 times)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
Re: semi ferals
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 19:28:21 PM »
I've just had an enquiry about a cat to live in stables and am trying to decide which of the 7 I have here is suitable. Thee is already a resident semi-F and I'm trying to persuade them to take 2. The problem with me is that the friendlier of the group are almost homeable to the right sort of home and I think it would be sad for them. However the most feral would probably not be seen and as they are looking for a friend for the existing one, I'm currently undecided about what to advise.....

Branston and Pickle went to a fantastic home but it did take over a year with me before that home came up so there are homes for them only not so many and they are hard to come by.....

And BTW, Branston and Pickle now have two new playmates - Branston went missing for a few days and Pickle was so upset that they adopted 2 kittens from me (they wanted friendly cats for a change) and the evening they got the kittens Branston sauntered back in..... I did say I would take the kittens back but never received a reply to my email.......
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 19:32:02 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 16:12:13 PM »
I do have a domestic same age or near as all our feral kids some of ours now after several years are all strokeable and we have some who mastered the indoor/outdoor thing but will tear their hair out if you touch them

If folks want cats for company then this can work but it will have to be a home with no kids - like ours that will let them come on in their own time with no pressure

A difficult thing but the current carer needs to be advised that a farm home will be a good place - we homed 6 of our Crieff colony to a farm and after 4 years all sleep inn front of the aga at night and spend as much time in as out and the farmer thought they should earn their keep his wife had other idea's and now fosters for our old CP to!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2009, 16:04:42 PM »
got room for half a dozen Ruth!  we are talking about quite a number, it is heartbreaking

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 15:59:05 PM »
These cats would stand a better chance going somewhere that already has cat friendly cats....The owner's already have the affections of there babes, these can then blend in better!  ;)

We've had Blackie now for 3yrs, he will never be picked up, never sit on your lap etc....He has fitted in well though and believe me Blackie is as fiesty as they come!  ;) :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 15:57:56 PM »
it is such a horrible situation - this person has been caring for these cats but really must get out of the situation they are in and just cannot take them all  :'(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 15:55:58 PM »
Yes I think you are right and I have now had Sasa 4 years and she is 10 years old, I dont think she will turn round now unless she really wants to and dont think she does cos she has her life on her terms.......little madam  ;D

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 15:48:33 PM »
I suppose that is the trouble, they take a while to trust and people generally want something instant

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 15:41:22 PM »
sasa is semi feral and was homed 3 times before i took her, she hates people but loves a home and misa.

i have to ask permission before passing her to give her time to move if in utility room, not move past her fast anywhere else.

i dont try and touch her any more but she will still come and sniff my hand depending where we are.

it makes life more compliacated and the vet visits are stressful for both......me more i think but she is gorgeous and before she was living in a cage and had been for over a year.

i cant shut any door cos she cant stand being trapped in a room

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 15:19:49 PM »
that is the trouble, its a difficult domestic situation so there is some urgency

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 13:58:00 PM »
Aw bless em all...There will be peep's out there, but where in a hurry that is the problem!  :( :hug: :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 13:56:51 PM »
sounds like these lot Liz, they have got used to being able to come inside if they want to but wouldn't be any good for a family pet if you know what I mean - the person who has them has turned down a farm environment for them but is getting desperate

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 13:36:04 PM »
The Clan does but we are slightly feral converted - they soon learn to love all the nice food, warm beds, company, laser pen and some even learn to love the humans who love them whatever :shocked: :Luv2:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 13:35:17 PM »
Not as often as is needed dawn  :(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
semi ferals
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 13:06:00 PM »
does anyone ever take them - I mean ones that need a bit of human company but not too much???
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 13:06:16 PM by Dawn F »

Link to CatChat