Author Topic: New Tasmanian Cat Law  (Read 2465 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: New Tasmanian Cat Law
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 10:01:56 AM »
The five day limit is actually a positive step. At present cats can be destroyed the day they are collected. There is a huge feral population here where I live and the local attitude if you want a cat is 'I hear so and so has kittens at the moment'. Its not a profit-making activity, it is just what cats do. I agree education will need to be part of the process, but with a population of 500,000 in a land area the size of Ireland, the chances of resolving the situation without some radical steps is difficult. regarding the comment on port facilities - yes, that does happen, but the few active ports in tassie are in urban areas so the cats will be unlikely to travel further afield. Farmers can only shoot a cat if it is 1 kilometre from human habitation - any closer they are breaking the law. I think in the circumstances that prevail in Tassie it is a step in the right direction. It won't solve the problem, but it will make people start to be a bit more responsible for their animal's welfare and ensure that those animals that find homes are given appropriate care, which can not be guaranteed at present if the local examples are anything to go by. Yes, it is distressing that cats may be lost, but that is a better fate than dying from disease, cold and neglect which is what happens to the ferals in rural areas around here. The kittens I found last autumn all had gritty eyes and were in poor health, as was their mother. There are not enough people here to ensure they are properly cared for in the numbers that presently exist. It was not my intention to cause anyone distress with some of the more draconian aspects of the legislation, so I apologise if that has been the result.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 09:04:52 AM »
I too think measures too extreme and wouldn't want to live in an area that specifically legislates to allow farmers to destroy a cat that has wandered on to his land. The 1km exclusion zone around a farm doesn't seem much of a distance. 

Also killing an animal after 5 days is a very short time. 

Couldn't the authorities spend some money on TNR and follow up with the fining policy.  Bearing in mind that Hobart Cat Centre only homed 500 out of 2,500 cats last year and therefore killed 2000, isn't the threat of your cat finding it's way into their "care" (if not chipped and neutered) enough of a threat?  Perhaps an advertising campaign to explain how many cats are already killed would be helpful.

Offline Flumpetsmummy

• Adult Cat
    • www.ilovehernebay.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 19:01:18 PM »
This law has not been thought through. Its a quickie solution. I can see why there doing it but it isnt the right solution.
As long as boats land cargo and people there will always be ferral cats who escape the rules.
Living near Dover and knowing people who work there I have been told that all sorts of things turn up on cargo ships. :wow:

Well nothing too big but cats, rats, mice, dogs..

On a lighter note If a destitute alpacca turned up now that would be a result..especially for us knitters  :evillaugh: :shify:
Run wild out on the edge of time Flump
Carry you dreams away love
For you are an island

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 20:16:34 PM »
there should at least be a moratorium on the breeding and importing of pedigrees, to increase the chances of rehoming the unwanted cats already born

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 20:05:23 PM »
I find it difficult not to support a law that will force irresponsible people to have their cats neutered.

If it was that alone then yes but its not, its the cherry on top to allow farmers and rangers to be legally allowed to kill unwated cats as they find them.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 19:46:33 PM »
Well, each to their own I guess. I find it difficult not to support a law that will force irresponsible people to have their cats neutered. And I am afraid if anyone is silly enough to leave their cat in the care of someone who hasn't the sense to contact the relevant authorities if it goes missing, then they probably shouldn't have a cat in the first place.

Offline Den

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:44:15 PM »
I don't agree with any of it  :(

If that law came over here then I'm moving country.

What happens if someone goes on holiday for 2 weeks, cat escapes after 5 days and gets caught/taken to the pound. Microchip isn't working so when they scan the cat it doesn't bleep. No one claims the cat .. as the owners don't know it is missing. The cat sitter has no common sense to contact anyone. Under that law the cat would be dead by the time the owners come home. That is just so wrong  :(

That scenario isn't impossible at all.

lay me down, let me go, feeling heavy the ground is cold,
lay me down take it slow I'm ready to stumble, sing & then swing low
~Use your mutant powers, just talk people to death~

Offline paola

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »
I don't know about this... I agree about the minimum age, but not about all the talk about euthanasing cats, and as Gill rightly said, this sounds like the end of moggies. Who wants a place where you can only get a pedigree cat??? What about people who don't like or can't afford them???
I agree that something needs to be done in places where cats are disruptive for the ecosystem - but this is a bit too much.
It would have been nice if the minimum age had been proposed on its own, without all this other controversial stuff attached.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Sorry bc cant vote for that because of the euthanasia issue, otherwise I would be happy with the rest I think.

Although if this is carried out to the nth degree all moggies would cease to exist in 25 years and dont agree with that either.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
New Tasmanian Cat Law
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:50 AM »
The Tasmanian government has introduced a new law requiring that all kittens sold must be over 8 weeks of age, neutered and microchipped. See attached article. Please vote in support of this law (button available in the attachment). At present voting is running about 50:40 in favour (not sure where the other 10% is, but hey, that's technology for you.

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/10/28/106065_tasmania-news.html

Link to CatChat