Author Topic: Meet Arthur  (Read 26194 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Meet Arthur
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2009, 20:35:44 PM »
You could try it, I think I would as and he may like really enjoy a bit of dry and... it might fill him up a bit more.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2009, 20:18:38 PM »
It is, I honestly didn't expect it, I was sat in the waiting room feeling sick, as I expected bad news. Just hope the ab's work on his mouth, but he is still eating a lot. STill debating whether to give him some dry or not - he had some at the rescue, but i have never intentionally given him any due to his drinking, but I wonder if it will curb his appetite a bit, and help him get through the day - they get fed at lunch time at the rescue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2009, 20:08:33 PM »
That's great news :) hope that the abs help his mouth and good luck getting them down him!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2009, 19:53:00 PM »
WEll, despite the vet being convinced they would show something, they were fine, his globulin was high, and his TP was towards the high end of normal, but vet said neither was a concern - his mouth is worse than I Thought though, he has a severe ulcer on his tongue, which the vet suspects is his reason for drinking so much. He is now on 7 days of ab's and see how we go. Vet wouldnt like to guess at his age though. He has been given Stomogyl (sp?) and i cant' crush or break them, and have to give him 2 once a day, which is silly. I have only managed one of his first two, will have to try and trick him with ham for the next 7 days. Vet says it will help his diarrhea though
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2009, 07:02:22 AM »
He sounds to have a quite an appetite bless him.  When is he having bloods done?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2009, 12:11:06 PM »
Aw bless him.... Hope the results go well and he can get his huge appetite under control!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2009, 09:22:27 AM »
They always want what they aren't supposed to have, don't they? And they generally figure out a sneaky way to get it.....hope the tests go OK. It's tomorrow, isn't it?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2009, 07:59:00 AM »
Thanks everyone - still having poo issues, as he is such a scavenger and despite his age, will jump on anything to get into food!! Think it is the biscuits that are upsetting him at the mo though - not that he is allowed any of course, but has found some!!
Please spay your cat

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2009, 13:35:30 PM »
Sending positive vibes

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 13:21:38 PM »
Thinking of you both and hoping all is well!  ;) :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2009, 10:03:43 AM »
Hope Arthur is doing well.

With regards to the "diabetes debate".....having had my Little Junkie (Toby) share our lives I have to say although we wouldn't have been without him, it doesn't mean I assume other peoples lives enable them to be able to do the same thing.

Diabetes is definitely not a death sentence for a cat, but it is a condition that requires a lot of work. I know Desley not only works full time and fosters, but also does regular fundraisers for her rescue.

I never thought I'd be able to inject a cat either, MM. But because Toby had been with me from kittenhood, I couldn't comprehend the alternative. He was an utter sweetheart, and I never once regretted him coming into my family even though he didn't seem to have much luck healthwise. :Luv:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:52 AM »
Sounds like it would be hard monitoring his food Des, what a little devil he is!  :evillaugh:

Im sending out tons of positive vibes for his bloods to be something simple to treat....Bless him and you for taking on yet another oldie!  :Luv2: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2009, 07:43:50 AM »
unfortunately Liz, diabetes would be insurmountable for me, so lets just hope it isn't that. He is booked in for bloods on Sat morning and I should be able to sit and wait for them - going to be a long few days though!! His tum isn't great though, but then he is eating any food he can find, rather than just the renal I have him on - someone even chewed through the bread bag and nibbled the bread and I can't see Sam doing it!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2009, 04:24:11 AM »
Just popping in to give Arthur a big  :hug: :hug: :hug: and you too!  ;)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2009, 22:37:04 PM »
Des as you say he hasn't been diagnosed yet but this thread has a lot of what may be wrong perhaps when you find out what if anything is wrong it will make things clearer

I also didn't ask for any personal reasons its just in all this time you have had most things and my thought was that perhaps this one would be insurmountable for you as I don't think you have ever given a cat back
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2009, 20:49:34 PM »
Sorry, Liz, but I dont feel I have to justify myself, my reasons shouldnt matter. AT the end of the day, we dont even know what is wrong with him yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Cat_Crazy

• Senior Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2009, 16:47:42 PM »
Aww, Arthur looks like a real sweetheart  :Luv2: hope his blood test comes back ok!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2009, 16:26:23 PM »
Sorry for being a bit sharp but perhaps if you had said for personal reasons my post may not have been taken out of context

I worked full time as did OH and touching a feral can be fun as well but if they are food driven it is an easy thing to do - I also hate needles but can put any injection in a cat now as well as the dogs just hate human needles with avengence

Even going to the shelter he won't be monitored overnight perhaps we were lucky with Tiger we never had a hypo and he was out maurading from 7.10am to when we got home - he was so good he even managed to be home everynight by his evening injection

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2009, 10:46:44 AM »
ACtually, it is for personal reasons - although not convinced he would allow it, judging by trying to groom him this week, and it woudlnt be a death knell, as he would go to the rescue. We all have our own levels of what we can deal with, and not everyone can deal with oldies, and most of the cats here wouldnt' have left a rescue otherwise. I dread anything happening to Molly, she might not be feral, but after nearly 4 years, everything is still her terms only and even stroking is debatable - she hissed at me yesterday just for putting my hand out, and she hides for hours after every vet visit.

I fell asleep on teh sofa last night so he had longer out of his room, and once the door was open, he was fine, I found him on his bed in front of the radiator - he clearly hasn't found the kitchen radiator!! No real issues wiht him and Sam last night, but he was really begging for food - I Was eating a rhubarb crumble!! hiding food from him isn't an option, he has got two lots of food from worktops this week, so he can jump well for his age!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 01:44:43 AM »
OH and myself have talked about this in the past as he used to inject his mum's RIP rottie for diabetes.... I said I would not be able to and he said he would!

Im sure what ever reason Des knows best!  :hug: :hug:

Really hope its something else Des when his bloods are done!  ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:48:41 AM by Bazsmum »

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2009, 19:31:38 PM »
I actually took it to mean that Desley is out through the day so may not be around to monitor him.

Although, if it was handling him it is understandable that some people may find it difficult  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2009, 18:36:45 PM »
Liz i think desley means it from a personal side not a death card for him, not everyone can commit to a diabetic cat or even face sticking a needle in one, i know my mum couldnt  :shy:

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2009, 18:16:55 PM »
the other thing it could be is diabetes...
I was thinking that, but keeping quiet!

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2009, 16:48:29 PM »
Des we had 37 cats and a feral with diabetes its not so hard we did the injections twice a day and he had 2 glorious years of packed action

You make it sound like his death knell - its not it is a controlable health issue - most folks would have given up on a feral diabetic your boy sounds confused but sweet

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 14:29:14 PM »
Thanks, i hope I am wrong, and the other thing it could be is diabetes, which I can't deal with, so if that were the case, he would have to go back to the rescue, so hoping it isn't that. He had an extra long time out of the bathroom last night and is frantically trying again, but Sam has to have some time of his own.
Please spay your cat

Offline AliCat

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Tachi and Akamaru.
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2009, 22:07:52 PM »
Fingers crossed for the blood work.  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
Aw good luck with his blood results when he has them, like I said I really hope nothing sinister is hiding!  :wish:

So Arthur prefers to eat with his paw....His name does certainly suit!  :Luv2: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »
Aw bless him, he sounds lovely  :Luv2:

Fingers crossed for the bloods when you do them.

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 08:20:37 AM »
 :) I bet he's really happy to be with you Desley - and hope that the bloods are ok

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 07:53:04 AM »
We are going to do bloods on him, either this weekend or next. his fur is better and his poos are better, but still drinks a lot of water. He also has some mats on his tummy, but trying to deal with those is fun, I got some out last night and will just have to keep doing little bits. He seems to be really enjoying being in a house, and I hope he will settle down with food soon - he was a stray, so he might not. The boys do seem to have slight issues over who gets to sit on my knee though, they wont share, but will sit on the settee at the same time. He also has a really funny way of eating, he likes to hook it out with his paw and eat most of it off his paw, but then ends up with food all over the floor!! I suspect he will be living his life out here, although not discussed it with the rescue yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2009, 20:46:49 PM »
He looks like a lovely gentle chap, hope his bloods don't show up any nasties.

Re: the tooth grinding, Dinah's teeth/jaw sounded very grindy over her last couple of weeks, but only when she was eating.  If his mouth is really uncomfortable he might just be chomping a bit.

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
Thinking of the gorgeous old gent!  :Luv2:
Me too.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 10:46:55 AM »
Thinking of the gorgeous old gent!  :Luv2:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 11:07:35 AM »
 :evillaugh: Baz is right, a knee each! when we adopted Smokey and Timmy I  suffered experienced the same problem :Luv2:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 10:52:51 AM »
Awwww, but nice that your knee is in demand  :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 10:29:35 AM »
Bless them both wanting on your knee and having a hissing spat over you!  :Luv2: Im sure they will learn that you will make time for them all!  :Luv2:

But for the meantime your gonna have to sit with your legs wider apart!  :innocent: :evillaugh: Yeah I know I will  :slap: myself!  :-[ :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 08:05:54 AM »
He hasn't had any dry full stop. He does have an incredible appetite though, he is very much like Norman in that he is constantly begging for food. Fortunately we are fine for wet food at the moment so he can have that bit more. I Did think about the heating BM, it would explain Sun, as I had just had a bath, and the heating is only on for about half an hour, except Mon when I was ill and couldnt get warm, so it was on for a couple of hours then, but he had already drank half a bowl of water.

He now doesn't like being in the bathroom after having some time out, and had me up at 3.30. Him and Sam are so so, I did have them both on the settee again last night, although there is a bit of hissing from both of them, but nothing too nasty. Main issue is both want my knee!!
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 14:49:25 PM »
He's a babe, I hope the drinking is not significant to any health issues, and are just a settling in and settling down issue  :Luv2:

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 14:40:03 PM »
Aw, he's lovely, another Truman. I do hope you have lots and lots of snuggle times to come.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 13:41:32 PM »
Id be worried about the drinking alot especially when he is eating so much wet also!  :shify: Have you been having the heating on yet Des? Just wondering if he may feel a tad hot compaired to the rescue which would not of felt as cosy Im sure!  ;)

Hope he manages to get his drinking under control cos he does sound a lovely gent who deserves some of your tlc!  :Luv2: :hug:

Link to CatChat