Author Topic: Meet Arthur  (Read 26193 times)

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
Re: Meet Arthur
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2009, 16:10:07 PM »
Two hours should be enough time for Sam to eat his food, so yes I would be wondering about his mouth bless!  :shify:

Now Arthur who eats for England....That's very strange that he can eat and eat and not even vomit!  :shify: What's his weight like Des? Im imagining a right porker?  :hug:

ps.. I know you have a tight work schedule at the mo, so update's when you have time okay!  ;) :hug:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2009, 09:41:22 AM »
Keep forgetting to update this - nope, he is never sick and it doesn't seem to matter how much you give him, he will still demand more - he does get loose motions due to pinching different foods though.

We had a really good night on Wed, he didn't pinch anything and waited patiently while I gave Sam his supper biscuits, but he has pinched food since then, even when I am just nipping into the kitchen to get a drink, he will be on the windowsill eating Sam's. This has highlighted how slowly Sam eats, as Arthur isn't allowed out till at least 2 hours after I have fed everyone, so I am now wondering if Sam is such a slow eater normally, or if his mouth is bothering him a bit.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2009, 11:06:26 AM »
Try putting more in Arthur's bowl, he may just manage to fill himself up...I would love to know is he ever sick with the amount and speed he eats?  :shocked: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #104 on: October 27, 2009, 08:23:11 AM »
WEll, did an experiment last night - gave them identical amounts of the same biscuits in identical bowls put down at the same time (separate rooms though), Arthur wolfed all his and then tried to nose Sam out of the way to get at his, and he had had extra wet food for his tea, so I don't think integrating will ever be an option, Sam doesn't eat quick enough to get enough before he would be pushed out of the way. Arthur also hated being cooped up last night and spent a fair bit of the night scratching the bathroom door. I dont know how easy he is going to be to rehome though, and the rescue are full.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2009, 16:49:05 PM »
Cats can definitely be weird creature's when they want, some of mine get fed in the front room, majority in the kitchen and one in the bedroom... I swear if I allowed them all to eat in the front room there would not be one bit left!  :shocked:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »
I did move his food to a different part of the kitchen, but he was still wary. A bit later, i gave them both some biscuits, gave Arthur his in the kitchen, then Sam his in the front room, and Arthur ignored his biscuits to sit in the middle of the front room gazing towards where Sam eats!! They were on different biscuits, but they also eat out of different bowls, so I wonder if it sounded different to him. He did pinch part of Sam's food while I was washing up though - Sam wears a collar and bell, so i can tell when it is him eating.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2009, 19:09:55 PM »
Trigger and Tiffany won't eat either if Tosker is too close to them, but if I have them in the same room but a good distance between they will start to eat

Tosker invariably leaves his food and goes towards them, but when they move away he goes back to his own food, and I usually end up with them all eating from their own dishes
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2009, 18:51:56 PM »
Well, that wasn't a success at all - Sam was so wary of Arthur that he barely ate his food, so I had to separate them just so Sam would eat. I took him in the cat room with me earlier, and Ellie was more reserved around him, so not sure about leaving those two alone for any length of time - I couldn't read his miaows when he sniffed her tail and he did bat her round the head their first meeting.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2009, 18:46:58 PM »
Hope you can find a happy medium!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2009, 13:16:36 PM »
That's a good point, he may also be thinking they have something different so want to try it.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #97 on: October 25, 2009, 12:55:19 PM »
Interesting thought, and one of the reasons i posted on here and leaving it a week before speaking to the rescue, in case someone can think of a suggestion, as i am sure the rescue would be happier him staying here. I shall certainly try it tonight, although I do have cats eating in different rooms!! I shall make him and Sam eat in the kitchen, with the same food down and see what happens. Not sure how I will feed the girls, whether to do them first or not.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #96 on: October 25, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
that's interesting about his leaving his own food to go after Sam's, as that is what Tosker does

but with him I think he wants to be eating as part of a group rather than the food itself, as if Trigger and Tiffany continue to eat he will not muscle in on them, but just sit watching them

any chance Arthur would be happier eating with the others? - though you would have to remove him when he had finished eating, or remove the others' dishes
Robert A. Heinlein:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2009, 12:45:12 PM »
Yeah. i also made the mistake of feeding the boys first last night (first time feeding Arthur anywhere other than shut in a room). Despite the fact he had just eaten his tea, he followed me to try and get more, so had to feed Zi on the bed, after watching him eat Sams food while Sam was still eating it. So feeding him first and waiting to feed the others once he had finished eating didn't work, and neither did leaving him eating - the alternative is shutting him in one room for every mealtime, but then Sam and Zi are slow eaters - Zi still has some breakfast left, and I fed them nearly 5 hours ago, Sam likes a little bit, and then to go out, and does that for up to 3 hours, depending on the weather.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2009, 12:38:04 PM »
Was he eating his food before you fed Sam? Sometime's they treat their own food as "buried and in a safe place" like a dog would, then go round getting whatever they can knowing they still have there share!

What would he do it you fed Sam at a different time, always making sure that Arthur could fill up on his first?  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
It was a shock to me too, especially as i had had them both on my knee earlier in the evening. not sure what the rescue will think though, they probably think he is here for life, and it might still happen if he settles down, but I can't risk Sam's health, 300g is a lot to lose in a month, and i can't afford for him to lose the same again next month - luckily he was at his heaviest all year last month, but even then he could have still gained some weight. Even putting him in with Ellie is still being confined, it is just a bit more space.

Trigger, i dont think that would work, as the others dont eat as quickly as him, so he would still be able to pinch food and they would continue to lose weight. I tried giving him extra last night but fed him before Sam - as soon as he heard me feeding Sam in the other room, he followed me, despite still having food in front of him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2009, 12:27:17 PM »
have you  tried Arthur with one of those automatic dispensers, Desley?

if he is stealing all available food because that is a learned behaviour in order to survive as a stray, having it constantly on tap might stop the stealing and break the habit
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2009, 12:23:43 PM »
Have been following Arthurs story and have to say I completely understand that decision, Desley. I think you do a wonderful job caring for these cats and they're lucky to have you as their foster mum. ;)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »
Wow! That was a shock decision but only in the way that an oldie usually stays with you forever! Its a decision that I respect and understand though as you cant watch him 24/7, he would not have a proper life being confined mainly to the bathroom plus Sam really does need his food and cannot afford this loss in weight!  :( :hug: :hug:

In the meantime you should try putting him in with Ellie and see how that goes.... Maybe that could be your solution? Finger's crossed as I know that you will have thought hard over this!  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 12:21:15 PM by Bazsmum »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
i had a bit of a shock decision last night and if his eating everything in sight doesn't improve in a week or two, I am going to ask the rescue to put him on the rehoming page - I can't afford for the girls or Sam to lose weight, and it isn't fair on him to be cooped up in the bathroom for most of the time. The other night, he tried to eat Sam's food while Sam was still eating, and if I hadn't been there, Sam would have walked away and left his food. There isn't anywhere I can put Sam's food that he can't get too, and the girls have to eat on the bed to make sure he can't get theirs (well, Molly does anyway, but I have always fed Zi on the floor so Molly gets enough).
Please spay your cat

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2009, 21:40:23 PM »
Poor old Arthur, what a guzzler!  Good news about his bloods but definitely a mystery about his drinking. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2009, 20:52:04 PM »
He is - despite a bit of head batting, i did have both boys on my knee for quite a while earlier. I sure do, the only thing I can think of at the moment is to keep Arthur isolated during the day and overnight, which isn't that great for him, but means everyone else gets to eat. I could put him in with Ellie for a bit though, as she wolfs her food too, so nothing left to eat.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2009, 20:49:05 PM »
He could have been Desley, he sounds endearing though  :Luv: you have got a bit of working out to do it seems

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2009, 20:45:05 PM »
Wish he made me laugh!!! He knows he is doing wrong though, he immediately stops when you say his name. I think he has been ill treated in the past though, as he does duck his head a bit and move away when you tell him - the other day he scarpered to the bottom of the stairs. Will be hard working this lot out I think as Sam and Zi are used to nibbling at their food throughout the day
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2009, 10:38:27 AM »
Arthur does make me laugh, the little scavenger him  :naughty: poor Sam, I hope you can work something out for him it's awful when they have they problems and sometimes just hard to know what to do for the best.  I was wondering where you were too Desley  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:39:17 AM by Janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #83 on: October 24, 2009, 10:21:19 AM »
Forgot to say, he is definitely drinking more since he has been allowed some dry, he can drink pretty much a full bowl a day now, and obviously goes through a lot of litter!! He does seem to prefer Sam's litter though, he does often run downstairs and go straight to his tray!! I hope he does settle down with his eating, or he will be spending a lot of time in the bathroom!!

Sam certainly can't afford to lose weight, and 300g in a month is quite a bit.

:-) Just busy at work, and too tired to come on here.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #82 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:43 AM »
Glad the abs have worked on his mouth, sounds like the infection is gone although its still got the sore!  :Luv2: :hug:

That's what I was thinking before about him eating like a piggy, its the different foods he is liking!  ;)

Poor Sam losing weight, yes you will have to sort greedy boy out cos Sam needs his grub bless!  :Luv2:

Glad to see you back, thought either you had been frazzled by the Ten's machine or Arthur had gobbled you up!  :evillaugh: :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2009, 09:55:58 AM »
WEll, we have had an interesting week with Arthur - his scavenging means I can't fully integrate him - the first thing he does is try and eat Zi's food, then runs downstairs to eat Sam's - Sam has lost weight this month, which he can't afford to do. His tongue still doesn't look great, but he isn't as smelly as he was, so his ab's have worked, and we just need to work out what to do next. Even putting extra food down doesn't really help, as he wolfs it all and still goes on the hunt for more. Apparently he settled down after a couple of weeks at the rescue, but no sign of that here - although that could be cos everyone eats different food here, so more exciting than at the rescue!! I think I am going to put him on some senior food so his over eating isn't quite as bad, as he doesn't really need to gain all that much weight.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2009, 18:26:56 PM »
Thinking of you all!  ;) :hug:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2009, 12:12:14 PM »
Extra food left about for Arthur maybe? He prob only filled himself up at the rescue by doing this...What a little piggy!  :evillaugh: :Luv2: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2009, 08:45:07 AM »
Hopefully he will settle down Desley,  I know our little Byron ate - or should I say wolfed down everything in front of her at first - often bringing it straight back up.  I bet she was like this for a month initially and Schui was the same.  Also as Pepper prefers to be in the spare bedroom most of the time I feed him in there usually but he'll often go into the kitchen and eat Byron's left overs!  It is strange Arthur's thirst though, although our Smokey did drink alot and his bloods were ok, Byron does too.  Pepper's thirst has settled down since being on meds.  The only thing I can think for Arthur is extra fluid as he's eating more and his body building up - is he gaining weight?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »
WEll, I am glad i had his bloods done as he is currently drinking even more!! STill scavenging too, he has twigged where Sam's food lives now, so every night he gets told off. I am wondering how I am going to integrate him if he does end up living his life out here, as Sam likes to keep going back to his food, and he already has weight issues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 13:45:35 PM »
Probably will just take a while for him to get used to the dry....Hope his tum settles soon!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2009, 09:19:28 AM »
Just catching up with the weekends threads Desley, and so pleased that Arthur's bloods all came back fine  :Luv2:

Hope the tablets work on his tongue ulcer  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
Zia's the same, she was on dry only before she came, and we were told she had to stay on it cos of liver issues, but her bloods earlier in the year showed her to be in perfect health for a 19.5yo.

He has eaten the dry, but his tum is a bit unsettled!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2009, 05:04:56 AM »
Yes Im sure the dry will help fill him up more!  :Luv2: :hug:

My Teddie, who I took on a couple of years ago and is almost 18 lived on dry prior to coming here, its amazing but she has normal reading's for her organs....I think dry becomes more of an issue when the cat is suffering kidney probs!?  ;)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2009, 20:01:55 PM »
WEll, glad I saw the results for myself, as he has drank even more water today!! He has had some dry food though, but drank most of the water before then. Managed to get his tabs down him in some ham (unlike Sam, who took 3 lots to get it down, then I gave him an extra two pieces after, and still found it in his food bowl!!).
BM, yes, he was a stray, but he had spent a few weeks at the rescue and his scavenging had stopped there, I wonder if because he was in a room with other cats, he was getting more food than here. Hopefully the dry will help, now I know his organs can cope with it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2009, 14:10:22 PM »
Must be just a personal liking for him, I have different water and wet/dry food drinkers/eater's here and to study with ref to what they eat, drink...you would be quite surprised with the outcome!  :Crazy:

Im being lazy here but was he a stray before being rescued?  :hug:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 16:32:48 PM by Bazsmum »

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
I was just thinking Desley, our Smokey used to drink quite alot, I wouldn't say he ate much dry food and his bloods were ok for his age too, he was about Arthur's age. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »
i was still toying with the dry food last night, so didn't, but will do today. I dont think it is that the food is any better, as he has spent most of his two weeks on prescription food - he actually wolfs renal food!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2009, 02:43:23 AM »
So pleased his bloods are fine!  :wow: Finger's crossed that the abs will sort his tongue out.....I think your food may be yummier than the rescue's Des...He's on one massive party!  :Luv2: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat