Author Topic: opinions and advice welcomed  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Gee

• Kitten
Re: opinions and advice welcomed
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 19:51:52 PM »
I have to say a big thank you to all of you who have offered your advice. Whilst Charlie's situation isn't resolved yet I feel slightly happier in that I have some ideas to work with. So thank, I'm really glad I joined this forum.  :thanks:

Offline Gee

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 19:47:43 PM »
Yes, you're right. I intend to think this through carefully before I attempt to move him.

That's a brilliant idea. I will see if I can construct something.

You would need to keep him contained for a few weeks even if he is moving gardens as he wont know where he is  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 18:53:55 PM »

You would need to keep him contained for a few weeks even if he is moving gardens as he wont know where he is  ;)

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 15:13:07 PM »
A friend of mine is about to start looking after a feral who has been neutered, ready to release again.

She's been caged in the garage to get her used to her new surroundings etc, and will be let loose in about a week, in the hope that she will know to return for food etc.

They've bought a rabbit hutch (on legs so its off the ground), which they are going to adapt as a house/shelter for her, with a catflap etc, so that could be a possibility  :wow:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gee

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 15:09:05 PM »

My own cat, Puzzle, came to me because she was unhappy in a multi cat household, she was aggressive and unsociable. But now, with me anyway, she is so loving and calm that I dread doing anything to upset her. Other cats seem to really stress her and I have several who have come to my garden but few of them come back!!! Puzzle and Charlie have met in the past at my Mum's but each time Puzzle set up such a wailing, hissing and spitting that I'm surprised the RSPCA weren't called!! If it wasn't for that I would have Charlie here now.

as he is used to living outside, if you have a garden, are you able to make him a sanctuary there, in a shed perhaps, with a cat flap?

or get him an outdoor kennel, which can be insulated

that way you could continue to care for him without upsetting your own cat - and if they meet occasionally outside you will find out how they might get along if Charlie comes indoors

Pretty much what I was going to suggest, but you beat me to it  ;D

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 13:52:05 PM »
as he is used to living outside, if you have a garden, are you able to make him a sanctuary there, in a shed perhaps, with a cat flap?

that way you could continue to care for him without upsetting your own cat - and if they meet occasionally outside you will find out how they might get along if Charlie comes indoors

Pretty much what I was going to suggest, but you beat me to it  ;D

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 13:47:16 PM »

Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
i would say  if you want to try and introduce them do....
have you a spare room he can go into so that introductions can be made gradually? If nothing else at least it would be easier for you to feed him and pop in for a bit of fuss.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:24:44 AM »
I know it must be hard but honestly hun you will find so many more good stories than bad!

Offline Gee

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:23:55 AM »
 :thanks:  I am a rookie at this. It's probably obvious.

Thank you for your help and advice.

I know the CPL do a great job and I should be more trusting. I will try to be.

I'll move it for you  :)

Offline Gee

• Kitten
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »
Thank you so much. :thanks:

I live in Essex.  :( 

Hello Gee and   :welcome:  to Purrs

I am so sorry to hear of the death of your mother   :hug:

I hope that you can get Charlie sorted out, you have done a really brilliant job so far.  We need to know what area you are in.

Take care

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:07:58 AM »
Hello Gee and   :welcome:  to Purrs

I am so sorry to hear of the death of your mother   :hug:

I hope that you can get Charlie sorted out, you have done a really brilliant job so far.  We need to know what area you are in.

Take care
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 10:17:37 AM »
I'll move it for you  :)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 10:12:35 AM »
I don't think you should be put off CP, in the main they are very careful (sometimes too careful!!) who they home to, sounds like it is Charlies best hope - you might want to get a mod to move this to rehoming as well so it gets a bit more coverage - what area are you in??

Offline Gee

• Kitten
opinions and advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 10:00:21 AM »
For some reason best known to the cats themselves my Mum and I have always been cat magnets. Our lives have never been without cats, either our own or other cats who seek our company. My Mum has had cats visit her her all her life but this one fella was different. He just won't go away. He appeared a couple of years ago, quite thin but not desperately, he had tapeworm and fleas and a dull lack lustre coat and he was very nervous and timid. But he loved the solitude of Mum's garden. But even on the bitterest winter nights he would be outside my Mum's back door. Mum has never fed any of her visiting cats but this chap looked so neglected that she started to throw him some dried food. He would often drink from her watering can, so she made sure it was always full.

As time went by, he started to look a little better & I wormed and fleaed him  but he still seemed to be here all day. Last winter, Mum progressed to a bit of wet food for him & his coat is now so glossy.  She never allowed him into the house and he didn’t always ask for food but he really loves to talk and be near someone. Mum could never lift him for a cuddle but my sister and I cuddle him when we can. We started to call him Charlie. He is so loving and comical and he chatters amiably all the time. His paws are huge in proportion and his legs are long. He looks so elegant. He seems quite healthy except for an eye that weeps a bit, but he cleans it up himself most of the time.  He seems a bit wary of tall males, as do many cats but we don’t think he was actually badly treated, just neglected. He is very sociable with other cats (given the chance) and is quite happy sitting on Mum’s lawn with the fox(es). We could never find who he belonged to. One time we had a flyer through the door with a picture that looked just liked him and we contacted the number and had them come and look at him but he wasn't their missing cat.

Although Mum would never allow him into the house she did let him sleep on a cushion in the conservatory in the daytime and he has a carpet lined box in the lean to at night. She would never admit he was her cat. But he loved her.

The problem is this; Mum died four weeks ago. That is hard enough for me to deal with. But Charlie is breaking my heart too. He is so trusting and loving. I am going round to Mum's house twice a day to feed him and give him some company. I would love to bring him to my home but my 13 year old cat who is 'special needs' (the vet's words, not mine!) has made so much progress in the 7 years she has been with me I am loathe to upset her equilibrium and I could end up with two unhappy cats.

I have approached various cat loving friends none of whom are prepared or able to take him on. Eventually I contacted the local CPL who have no foster places at the moment but he has been placed on their list. But I feel uneasy about that. Particularly after I read the post about the cat who had been in care for 12 months without anyone from the CPL checking on her and she had been neglected. Charlie needs someone who not only loves cats but understands them. Whatever happens is going to be stressful for him and he is going to be confused and frightened. He is nervous of people to begin with but once he knows and trusts someone he is so lovely. He doesn't have an 'aaah' factor until you get to know him.

I want to do the best for him because I love him so much but I keep feeling I'm letting him down.

I would welcome some opinions?

Thanks

Link to CatChat