Author Topic: Giving animals a home  (Read 2526 times)

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
Re: Giving animals a home
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:58:10 AM »
I saw somewhere on another threda that i recently read that you had asked Greg Hands opinion about an animal issue, the subject of which escapes me. Did you get a response?

I must say that Greg always responds - he takes that part of his role seriously, it seems.  I've written to him about non-domestic animals in circuses and - this is the more recent one and probably what you saw - banning halal and shechita butchery.  I got the party line on both occasions initially but I entered into a corrrespondence with him about halal and elicited a more thoughtful response.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2009, 23:46:55 PM »
Tony Banks is sorely missed.  :(
His honesty in standing up for animal welfare issues is still a tonic. A politician of conscience as opposed to the career politicians that are everywhere today. Anne Widdecombe also fits that category. They are rare breeds but their animal welfare beliefs must be preserved as well as the value of thinking for yourself and not being a party lead droid.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2009, 22:21:40 PM »
Tony Banks's death was a big loss to animal welfare

Anne Widdecombe, with whom I am sure I have nothing else in common whatsoever, is a big cat lover though, and anti-hunting
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 22:02:12 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm not sure why some of you cannot run this. Ihave checked the link on Pund it is working OK.

Christine,

Not badly thanks! I had to smile when I saw somewhere on another threda that i recently read that you had asked Greg Hands opinion about an animal issue, the subject of which escapes me. Did you get a response?

Most Conservative MPs are not interested and on hunting, etc. blurt out the same party line drivel. This is not intended to be a general anti Tory dig but the question of animal welfare is just not sexy enough for them and not a big vote winner. I get the stock replies when I ask my own MP (Chris Grayling) to support animal welfare. Whilst I generally like him as a constituency MP, his record on animal issues is diabolical.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 18:00:09 PM »
 :'(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 17:42:53 PM »
I could see the pictures, very good film and thankfully with no animlas dieing at the end

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 15:05:48 PM »
Same here Peter

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 14:15:28 PM »
Hello Beanie!  How are you doing?

Unfortunately for me, I could hear the music on the video but not see the images  :(
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
Giving animals a home
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 13:44:53 PM »

Just seen this advert put out by the Humane Society of the USA. I thought I would share it, as it is a powerful message tastefully put together.

http://video.hsus.org/index.jsp?fr_story=e5a257be36cf89fbb72b438100dc248fa7e215c2

Link to CatChat