Author Topic: Anyone have any experience of mixing cat flu carrying cats with non flu cats?  (Read 3351 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Issey was a flu and calici carrier
so is Lala

and never had a problem with them getting it again or passng it on to the other cats.
I wouldnt hesitate in homing a carrier

Offline paddypaws

• Adult Cat
Hi, I have a cat and her 3 kittens, one of which had a dose of cat flu when she was very young. I did try to keep her separate when she was ill, but it was difficult as I only have a small house. None of the others developed the flu, and none of them have had any innoculations ( a contentious point I know but please dont think ill of me ! )
Oh, and the cat who had flu is 14 years old now....and has been to the vet twice in her whole life, once to be spayed and once for the flu! Obviously this is only my experience but I hope this story helps. 

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
Yes, I have had Rosie and Nala for four and three years respectively, both have had cat flu before coming to me, Rosie very severely (it was left untreated leading to her blindness).  They live with my three Persians who are non carriers and have never had any flare ups since - all cats are vaccinated.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
I have a calici carrier and when I wanted to add to my brood the vet was fine with it, according to him the majority of cats carry flu anyway so there was no way of knowing

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
We have had 2 cats who were very sneezy on and off so we suspect they had cat flu at some point but because they were the same together it is hard for me to tell.  I would probably ask the vet if you haven't done so.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
Re: Anyone have any experience of mixing cat flu and non flu carriers?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 20:11:48 PM »
We have 2 carriers in the Clan Cats and the others aren't bothered by it one is 7 and the other is 10 so no issues here although we do get the odd grungy eye to clean!

Ours range in age from 17 down to approx 14 weeks so we have a very broad age range - the 2 who are carriers are both feral who had it as kittens and somehow get the odd bought of the stuff but not on a regularr basis
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Clairio

• Kitten
Anyone have any experience of mixing cat flu carrying cats with non flu cats?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 20:03:48 PM »
I currently own two 2 year old cats who are healthy and have up to date vaccinations.  I've been considering adopting an old dear from the local cat rescue but she's come down with the flu.  I wouldn't bring her home until this bout has cleared up but i know that she can still carry it.  I've had mixed advice from professionals as to whether my cats can still catch it despite their vaccinations.  I'd like to hear from anyone who might have experience of this situation and what the outcome was, any advice would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 20:55:22 PM by Clairio »

Link to CatChat