Author Topic: How much is your adoption fee? and what's included?  (Read 13661 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How much is your adoption fee? and what's included?
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2009, 08:23:48 AM »
One of the local rescues has a list on their website - my home pc wont let me on the website to find the exact page, but the site is www.bleakholt.org The only thing I dont like is I think their flea/worm prices are on the high side, and they might put people off doing it regularly.
Please spay your cat

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2009, 09:35:53 AM »
just on the other side of the coin how much would a rescue have spent on average on a cat that goes out for adoption?

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 09:33:38 AM »
Just caught up on this thread... we have a set donation of £50 but in a lot cases people donate more to the cats.  We always spay/neuter (if old enough), deflea, deworm and provide vaccinations, starter food pack, education pack, advice line, 4 weeks insurance with Petplan and initial illness cover from us for the 14 days not covered by the insurance.   We also give adoptee's the chance to purchase items for their cat/ kitten through the rescue at good discounts which helps to make up some extra money for kitties and paul is trained to microchip, which although we would love to include it as standard we can't quite stretch to that so all we do is charge for the chip which most people are more than happy to do.

It is going to change as people and incomes are different throughout the country. I suppose you have to look at what works for you in the area you are in. 
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2009, 08:22:37 AM »
You are right Louise, i think it will be interesting to see how we go on with the new adoption fee, but the fact there is only one rescue in the area who charges less should help, and hopefully it wont stop people adopting as many cats (we have had a good fortnight for rehoming), as we dont want to 'overprice' and stop cats going to good homes, especially as we aren't in a very affluent area.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2009, 23:32:16 PM »
What makes me mad is places that have different grades for pricing depending on colour  >:(

Like this one that charges different prices depending on colour & age  :Crazy:
http://www.chestnutcatsanctuary.co.uk/Content/donations

Oddly they have set prices yet call it a donation  :-:

how very odd.....no infact i dont like that at all !!

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2009, 22:41:05 PM »
I have to agree with you there.  I could understand if it was per treatment so to speak.  the Rabbit rescue tend to do things in batches, so groups of bunnies will be taken off to get neutered, or vacced or whatever, depending on funds.  this is then passed onto the new owner at a discounted rate, so a bun who is neutered, vacced and wormed will cost more than a bun who has only had a vet check.  but all the buns go with contracts that ensure that the new owner continues and proves that animals have been neutered vacced etc.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2009, 22:29:04 PM »
I don't have an issue with that but I do have one with different colour & age cats being different prices
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2009, 19:21:49 PM »
but some of their 'suggested' donations are more in line with what the rescue has actually spent on the animal rather than what people are willing to pay, but again you need to strike the right balance between actual cost and the amount someone is willing to pay.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2009, 19:09:39 PM »
What makes me mad is places that have different grades for pricing depending on colour  >:(

Like this one that charges different prices depending on colour & age  :Crazy:
http://www.chestnutcatsanctuary.co.uk/Content/donations

Oddly they have set prices yet call it a donation  :-:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 17:50:55 PM »
Well thats why I think Rescues so undersell themselves,  I know you have to make yourselves 'attractive to the market'  but I have spend almost £200 on my two in the past few weeks, so much for free cats!!! :evillaugh:,and that doesn't include neuters (well £10 for both), which were done through CP scheme, so I am shocked that rescues don't try to make as little loss as possible.

thinking about my vets

£26 consulation (not often charged in full)
£50 first vaccs
£30 booster
£50-60 spay
£35 de flea for 6 thingys

I use the same vets as PP and know how much the lay person pays and that rescues will not get much knocked off that, I also know it is a fantastic vets, and some of the locum are great.  Desley, even at £60 you are not getting half of what you spend on vets, never mind food, accomodation etc.  If only it could be put accross to people there to adopt animals the amount of money spent getting a cat in tip top condition for adoption :(  Sadly  most adopters, just don't see it that way :(

Offline purrmonsterslave

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 13:21:44 PM »
We paid £50 each for a young pair from our local welfare ark.. and I thought it was exceptionallygood value for money as it included snipping, chipping and needling :-)  In fact I was so impressed with them that I took out a life time membership and have sponsored another cat there.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Interesting you should say that, as I spoke to the manager on Wed night and we are increasing the adoption fee for both cats and dogs (but not small furries) to be more in line with other rescues, so cats will now be £60, think there will only be Oldham Cats cheaper.

I rarely adopt cats from rescues, the current two were ex-fosters that the rescue wouldnt take money for (but they have had time/money with fostering and fundraising), and when I Adopted MAbel from Oldham Cats last year I knew they didn't want the full adoption fee (which was daft, as she had been there so long), so I took along a bag of JWB kitten with me to make it up and took some dry food with me when I went to tell them the sad news.
Please spay your cat

Offline louise_81

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 20:33:36 PM »
We ask for £40, which covers neutering, chipping, worming, de-fleaing. We are currently in talks for getting at least the first vacc done and also for the free insurance. We might give out kitten packs, but am not too sure on that. I would prefer not to have a set adoption fee, but when we tried that at CAT77, we had people giving us £20 for a kitten, which didn't even cover the neuter. I do feel that sometimes you might have someone who can't give a good donation, but then goes on to help you in other ways.

I have to say I have done this in the past with the rabbits, Charlie was a reduced neuter with the RSPCA, due to OH being on benefits at the time, but the next time I had a clear out all my stuff went to them (all ten bags, cos they wouldn't pick up any less,  :(  )

I do think PP should up their minimum donation for animals, in line with other local rescues, RSPCA cat is £65 I think. I was talking to Brenda and Grace in Tesco's foyer on Friday (they must think I am mad!!)

I have to say I do second chancers, more than rescue, especially if I can afford it, just because I think it saves rescues the money spent on the cat/rabbit/fish that I have given a home to. And when I do adopt a rescue, I give more than the donation suggested, and often help out with fundraising too.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 07:57:22 AM »
I adopted an oldie that was part of a sponsored scheme, but never took advantage. I can't recall many adoptions where we got a lot more than our suggested £40, Bruno's owners gave us £60 for him, but he was the only one of my fosters to do that this year. i dont know if it happens a lot with the new rescue
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 22:32:10 PM »
I remember this yr Dec time we advertised on the free sites that pedigree cats end up in rescue too. One lady took our plea and ended up rehoming a persian and a burmese cross... She gave us 200 as she has quoted in her ad on the site... But thats rare i would say.. However, we did get a 200 pound donation a while back from a lady lecturer at the university who took on two cats of ours.. Generally and strangely we as a branch get more donation money for adult cats then kittens..

We recently rehomed a MALE TORTIE Nutmeg with one of his sisters and we got 75 pounds..

However, it so much depends on your area and we generally do not pay for second vac if the cat has been rehomed, we ony pay if its iin our care..

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 13:05:39 PM »
When I collected Poot they did indicate not to do a donation, but I have kind of insisted  :shy:

Max was always a sponsored cat, i.e. CP would cover any vet bills for the duration of his care as he was FIV.  However, I never actually utilised that, and one time I had to ask for a bit of help, I insisted on paying them back every penny.  They said that I'd already donated enough by never actually relying on them to cover his bills  :shy:

Poot is also a sponsored cat, but again I doubt I'll ever ask for their resources  :shy:

With oldies we have occasionally been offered the cover of any vet costs but we've never accepted the offer.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 12:42:58 PM »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
There was a wonderful couple who adopted the last 2 survivors of my Cinque Ports kittens. They are now called Rodney and Baa Baa.  :Luv: When I explained the history of the litter and what happened to the others... all the treatment, all the blood tests... the hubby, who was a builder by trade, without a word of question emptied his wallet into my hands. I didn't count it exactly as I was gagging back the tears but it was in excess of £200.  :ooops: :wish: :owwww:

That's great but I bet those kind are few & far between and make up for the "doing you a favour taking it off your hands" types.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 09:41:45 AM »
When I collected Poot they did indicate not to do a donation, but I have kind of insisted  :shy:

Max was always a sponsored cat, i.e. CP would cover any vet bills for the duration of his care as he was FIV.  However, I never actually utilised that, and one time I had to ask for a bit of help, I insisted on paying them back every penny.  They said that I'd already donated enough by never actually relying on them to cover his bills  :shy:

Poot is also a sponsored cat, but again I doubt I'll ever ask for their resources  :shy:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
when we got Star we couldn't take her for 4 weeks because mil was staying so I paid the £5 per day they charged for boarding cats, when they said we could take Amber as well they didn't want any money for her because I'd overpaid on Star - bit odd really for a charity????

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:45 AM »
How fantastic that must have been Julie  :hug:  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 09:27:20 AM »
There was a wonderful couple who adopted the last 2 survivors of my Cinque Ports kittens. They are now called Rodney and Baa Baa.  :Luv: When I explained the history of the litter and what happened to the others... all the treatment, all the blood tests... the hubby, who was a builder by trade, without a word of question emptied his wallet into my hands. I didn't count it exactly as I was gagging back the tears but it was in excess of £200.  :ooops: :wish: :owwww:

Offline clarenmax

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »
I need to do my donation for Poot (we asked to delay it as we hadn't planned on getting him so quickly after all Max's vet bills), and CP say between £50-70 is an average donation, depending on whether vacs are done or not (not in Poot's case being FIV).

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:02:09 AM »
blue cross was £65 fully vac, chipped and neutered or voucher for neutering for kittens

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:50:57 AM »
We ask for £40, which covers neutering, chipping, worming, de-fleaing. We are currently in talks for getting at least the first vacc done and also for the free insurance. We might give out kitten packs, but am not too sure on that. I would prefer not to have a set adoption fee, but when we tried that at CAT77, we had people giving us £20 for a kitten, which didn't even cover the neuter. I do feel that sometimes you might have someone who can't give a good donation, but then goes on to help you in other ways.
Please spay your cat

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 22:58:37 PM »
We have had a few like that- it's always the ones with the money that complain! We had an adopter who took on a kitten and they had the hugest house I had ever been too (must have been worth nearly a million) and when the kitten was due for neutering, they called our neutering line and git a voucher, pleading poverty! It was just that they didn't want to spend any more money after giving a donation!  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 22:56:06 PM »
I remember one man in a big detached house round here asked me what the average donation was. I said we would be happy with anything over £50 - he said "I bet you bloody well would!" - I assured him it still wouldn't cover what was spent!  :tired:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 22:56:47 PM by Mark »

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 22:42:14 PM »
Yep, most of the rescues on the website say what their charges are
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 22:34:26 PM »
Just looked on our local RSPCA site. Adoption fees as follows:

Cross breed male/female cat - £60
Cross breed male/female kitten (under six months) - £70
Pedigree male/female cat over six months - £120
Pedigree male/female cat under six months - £150

Includes - full vaccination course, neutering, microchipping, fleaing,worming, 4 weeks free pet insurance with Petplan

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 22:27:53 PM »
We're not allowed to ask for a specific donation, we just have to explain what a donation would mean to us and then let them know that our average donation/ suggested amount is between £65 and £75 per cat. I also explain that this covers: neutering, microchipping, full vaccinations (including FelV), de-flea, worming as well as any other medical treatment they will have had. We also give 4 weeks pet insurance with PetPlan.
By explaining why we suggest this amount but explaining that any donation is welcome, we often even get more. I definitely think people feel more generous if they are not tied to a specific fee, which as a CP branch, we're not allowed to do anyway. We have had £250 given for a cat before because it's put in such a way that people think it's to help more cats rather than paying for the one that they are adopting. Occasionally we will get a slightly reduced donation of around £50 but if the cat's going to a nice home then that's fine.
I definitely think it's reasonable to at least recover what the costs for getting a cat ready for homing are.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 22:39:33 PM by Debsymiller (Rufus' mum) »

Offline LadyJane

• Hero Cat
  • Samson xx
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 22:25:01 PM »
At the moment our local rescue is asking for £50 per kitten/cat.  That includes chipping (they can do it themselves), at least 1st part of injections, vet check, flea and worm treated, voucher for 4 weeks free insurance and royal canin, hills and another food packs which I've forgotten the name of and further discount vouchers.  Oh and neutering if they are old enough.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,26287.0.html

Playing on the bridge - Sooty, Misty, Tim, Tom, Ebony and Pepsi - I miss you all and think of you often

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 22:05:53 PM »
I ask for a donation of £60 per cat/kitten.  Kittens leave with at least their first vaccination, sometimes fully vaccinated if they have been here a while, flea treatment, worming treatment and they are microchipped, which I can now do myself rather than paying the vet for it.  If cats are old enough, they are also neutered.  I also offer voucher for four weeks free insurance, try to give out the Royal Canin kitten packs if I have them and a price reduction from PetMeds.co.uk.

I think that is pretty good value for kittens that have normally been handreared from a week old.  Some people do still ask if I can give vouchers for neutering for the kittens that are too young at the moment though. :shocked:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
How much is your adoption fee? and what's included?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 18:01:20 PM »
Sorry guys, I know it has been asked before but am interested in the current going rate.

We are at a cross roads where some of our cats are inoculated and some not and need to agree a way forward (even if it is the confusing agree to disagree!).
One thing is certain we can not continue to ask for £30 for a fully vacced cat!

Do you also microchip?

I hear its £75 at the RSPCA?

Link to CatChat