Author Topic: A new recruit!  (Read 3994 times)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: A new recruit!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 23:14:54 PM »
 :wow: that will be great, reminds a bit of where Byron came from  :Luv:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 07:07:27 AM »
The Shropshire Cat Rescue website has been updated and you can see a bit of information and a picture of the retirement village here: http://www.shropshirecatrescue.co.uk/index.php?a=2  :)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 08:10:51 AM »
Glad you are enjoying it and how fab there are so many volunteers for one rescue on here
Please spay your cat

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »
tee hee you almost made me poop myself reading that ha ha! :evillaugh:

I will have to come and help on a wednesday one week so we can meet up. Also, I believe Marion is trying to get someone on saturday (If I go) to show me the ropes. My name is Jo btw!
Hi Jo! I'm Sara! :) I've only been volunteering since July so one of the more established volunteers is probably better placed to show you the ropes on a Saturday. Some of them have been doing it for years so I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes by showing you myself! :evillaugh: Also, there are different jobs depending on whether you are a morning or an evening volunteer. I hope it goes well for you on Saturday and that you enjoy it. Looking forward to meeting you one Wednesday! :)

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 15:29:23 PM »
tee hee you almost made me poop myself reading that ha ha! :evillaugh:

I will have to come and help on a wednesday one week so we can meet up. Also, I believe Marion is trying to get someone on saturday (If I go) to show me the ropes. My name is Jo btw!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 13:55:49 PM »
Well, I've finally took the plunge and have become a volunteer at my local rescue - Shropshire Cat Rescue. I went along yesterday and met the chairwoman of the charity. She's lovely and she took me round and introduced me to the cats, the volunteers, and the wonderful work they all do. I've offered a couple of evenings a week out of my time, plus any days off I get. I'm going back tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. I work full-time in an office, and I don't have any job satisfaction whatsoever, so volunteering at the rescue once a week has really given me something to look forward too and at least I feel I'm being useful. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

I have now just started to vounteer at Shroshire Cat Rescue and can vouch for how wonderful it is! I will be doing some saturdays whenever I can, helping with the trays and food etc. I also spotted the "Retirement Village" wchich looks like the cat version of "hi-De-Hi!!!!" with it's little wooden chalets. Harlequin, will have to have a mini Purrs meet!

Ahhh Mojo! I'm so glad you've decided to join us! Have you met Marion the chairwoman? She's lovely isn't she? I volunteer on Wednesday nights from about 4:30pm onwards (on my own at the moment), so you must come up one week and we'll have a mini Purrs meet-up! I love my Wednesday nights at the shelter. Even if I go home exhausted and stinking of cat poo, I still feel like I have really achieved something and that I've made a difference to the lives of the kitties at the shelter. Keep an eye out for Cuddles (the manky-looking Persian) when you're preparing food for the other cats as he'll jump up and nick it out the bowl! Oh and Sasha poops herself when you stroke her so watch out for that! ;D Looking forward to meeting a fellow volunteer!

Trigger, the retirement village is still under construction at the moment but I'm pretty sure they're aiming to have it finished soon. I'm sure Marion won't mind if I post some pictures of it when it's finished :)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 13:14:59 PM »
I would love to see some piccies of the retirement villlage - do they take in elderly humans too? :sneaky:

or is there a website I can see it?
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 12:13:34 PM »
Well, I've finally took the plunge and have become a volunteer at my local rescue - Shropshire Cat Rescue. I went along yesterday and met the chairwoman of the charity. She's lovely and she took me round and introduced me to the cats, the volunteers, and the wonderful work they all do. I've offered a couple of evenings a week out of my time, plus any days off I get. I'm going back tonight and I'm really looking forward to it. I work full-time in an office, and I don't have any job satisfaction whatsoever, so volunteering at the rescue once a week has really given me something to look forward too and at least I feel I'm being useful. I'll let you know how I get on! :)

I have now just started to vounteer at Shroshire Cat Rescue and can vouch for how wonderful it is! I will be doing some saturdays whenever I can, helping with the trays and food etc. I also spotted the "Retirement Village" wchich looks like the cat version of "hi-De-Hi!!!!" with it's little wooden chalets. Harlequin, will have to have a mini Purrs meet!

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2009, 08:15:11 AM »
Sounds like a great set up, hope you enjoy it.
Please spay your cat

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 21:40:18 PM »
Would you like to come and practice medicating my feral kitten?  :evillaugh:

Great idea though, and good luck. It might not seem like a time consuming lark but with everything else needed to care for homeless pussy cats, every little helps. Some days I don't have time for a cuppa until lunchtime.  :Crazy:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
It sounds great, I'd enjoy the medicating bit but especially the old cats section!!  :Luv2:  it's a shame cats have to be 'too old' or 'too ill' for homing I wouldn't see them that way, well done for volunteering btw
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:29:25 AM »
Well done!  :wow:

What's their set-up like then?
The chairwoman has the main shelter on the land surrounding her house, but there are a couple of other mini shelters in the homes of other volunteers, as well as a few fosterers. The main shelter is where I'll be volunteering, but I'll be doing a lot from home too, as they need someone to help run the sponsorship scheme and send out newsletters from the cats to their human sponsors. That's a nice job - I like adding pictures and stories of the cats and tarting it up on the computer to make it look nice :)

On Wednesday, I'll be learning how to medicate the poorly kitties (there's three teeny kittens with cat flu :(). A lot of the evening volunteers only have time to do food and litter trays, so if I can come along and do all the medicating while they're doing that, it will be really useful.

Oh, and the shelter is in the process of setting up a retirement village for elderly cats who are too ill or old to be rehomed. It's currently being built on site, and they hope to have it set up by autumn! It looks lovely! :)

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 17:00:36 PM »
Well done x

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 16:28:57 PM »
Well done!  :wow:

What's their set-up like then?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 12:41:30 PM »
Well Done you! Looking forward to hear of the babes you will be helping!  :luck:

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
A new recruit!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »

Link to CatChat