Author Topic: covcats - fingers crossed for new mum and babies - RIP all  (Read 8604 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: covcats - fingers crossed for new mum and babies - RIP all
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2009, 22:04:38 PM »
Whilst still feeling the pain of a same situation-I cant believe someone else has had to go through this, I'd say its the hardest part of rescue  :'(

So sorry for those little babes and their mum that has been lost  :(

RIP old boy xxx
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline nessa (A C S )

• Cat Rescue
  • Adult Cat
  • Kai David 11/02/09
    • Animal Care Society (Cork)
« Reply #49 on: July 22, 2009, 04:09:31 AM »
Judith
I too feel your pain. I am in a very said place at the moment so I know what you are going through thanks for your lovely pm on IA it meant a lot, I cant sleep so I came on here to post this so that you would know that I read your pm earlier
Judith and Angie I think you are wonderful people and I admire the work that you do only us people involve in the hands on work will ever know what it is like all the heart wrenching decisions we face each day.......but remember one thing at least when you go to bed at night  you can say to yourself you gave it your best and you didnt walk away and leave it to someone else

Thank you for sharing this it is a very brave and honest post

Hugs to you both :hug:
annefitz@animalcaresociety.ie
http://www.animalcaresociety.ie/

My grandson Kai David McMahon Fitzgerald Butler was born on the 11/02/09 at 5.03pm weight 8lb 14ozs

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 14:17:10 PM »
I'm sure they will get lots of response to that one!

Offline dabs

• Cat Rescue
  • Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 14:14:52 PM »
Hugs to both Judith and Angie. Sad as it is, there is the consolation that she did not die alone and unloved somewhere.  :'(

In response to my letter that I sent into my local paper re: some idiot that stated cats should be killed because of the alleged caranage in his garden, some moron wrote in and said that I was being cruel in neutering my cats and preaching neutering to others.  :censored:

I think that it is as times like this that these idiots should see the results of their 'neutering is cruel' message.  :-:

RIP little ones
Nuneaton and Hinckley Cats in Need

Offline JillE

• Adult Cat
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2009, 14:18:11 PM »
So sad Judith, I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time.
You should feel proud though, you gave the old lad such love and care and then did exactly the right thing for him. What he could expect from his best friends, I'm sure he had a happy life with you.
As for mum cat, she had three days of being cared about, loved and fussed over and her kittens were born in warmth and comfort.
That they died is tragic and until morons stop treating cats like this ,is so often unavoidable.
You and graham have done your upmost best as you always do. When you go to bed at night you should always remember this and know how grateful so many cats and kittens are for their start in life that without you would not be possible.
Also, you should know how grateful many of us are for your "people" caring, of which I have first hand experience. you have an extremely busy life and yet drop everything, if you know someone is hurting, in order to talk or visit them.
For that on behalf of all of us "cats" and kittens a big THANKYOU for everything you do. xxx :thanks:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2009, 13:14:12 PM »
So sad  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2009, 13:00:10 PM »
 :candle:

Offline Daisymac

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy, Polly Lollypop Legs, Harry, Rosie Growler, Teabag, Gracie Dirty Face, Ruby Red Drawers, Picalli Polkadot Pants, Junior Officer Ripley, Kenny Kitten, Millie The Milster
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2009, 09:29:16 AM »
I have just caught up with this thread,  I am so very sorry to hear the news,  RIP Mum and Babies,  play hard on the bridge.   

RIP Old boy,  look after the Mum and Babies on the bridge with you  :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2009, 15:55:24 PM »
So very sorry to hear that mum and babies have lost their fight and are all together again at the bridge  :'(

RIP Old Boy, Mum and babies xxxxx
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2009, 13:36:10 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear they all lost their fight, but bless you for trying, you did all you could, and they knew warmth and kindness, and RIP Old Boy, play hard at the Bridge sweethearts xxxx

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline harlequin

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2009, 13:16:16 PM »
I'm so very sorry to hear this :hug:

RIP little ones and Mum

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2009, 13:12:18 PM »
Bren, thanks for your comments, but more especially thanks for coming round and bringing the flowers.  It does seem a lonely old job sometimes, but thanks to the Group being supportive and a good vet and husband you get through.  :Luv:
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Bren22

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Carrie, Harvey & Jess & fostermum for CCG and all my lovely pets on the bridge
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2009, 09:36:46 AM »
Judith, you really are a saint.  I'm blubbing like an idiot as I write this.  That poor little cat. Sometime I think I'm a 'fairweather' fosterer, I know I couldn't cope with the traumas you take on.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2009, 09:09:33 AM »
poor babies  :hug:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2009, 08:50:03 AM »
Oh Judith how very very sad  :'(.  Well done to you and Graham for making them all as comfortable as possible  :hug:

Dinah, Millie and Ruby go from strength to strength and enjoy every minute of every day...thanks to you two  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2009, 08:44:50 AM »
So sorry to read this

:RIP: :candle:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »
I am so very sorry to hear this, but at least you did everything possible for them, and she wasn't on the streets facing a painful end, I know it is only a small consolation after such a hard day but sadly sometimes they have been let down too much by others for us to do more. RIP little ones, and RIP Old Boy
Please spay your cat

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009, 07:24:44 AM »
I'm so sorry for all of you involved in this little girl and her babies - rescue can be so heartbreaking sometimes but remember that you let them all have a warm and safe journey to the Bridge, which is more than they would have got without you.

:grouphug: :grouphug: to everyone involved.

:candle:  little family, re-united again.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline nicter

• Senior Cat
  • Nicky-Mum to Scamp Bonnie, Willum Rossi & Poppet
  • Slave to: Alfie. Poppet. Rossi. Willum Merlin
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2009, 00:31:46 AM »
So sorry to read this . What an awful time youve had.  :hug: to you all xx
RIP Tigger Button Whisky Maisie, Merlin and Alfie Pawprints on my heart forever

Offline madasacatter

• Senior Cat
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2009, 00:14:22 AM »
We are gutted that the poor cat was in such poor condition that she had no chance to save herself or her babies.  We thought at first the reason she wouldn't eat when she came in on Thursday night was that she was scared of her new situation, from being semi feral to a home situation.  We obviously kept the pen covered completely to guard against possible infection, and also to make her feel more calm.

She still was not interested in food, and by Saturday morning we were getting concerned,  so much so that I cooked her fish at about 2 am!  Again she refused it, so the next trick would have been the vets, but she had given birth some hours later, and in the morning before everyone was up, I was faced with 3 kittens still attached to their placentas bar one who looked at death's door.  I grabbed that one, and ran upstairs to Graham, who didn't get his usual cuppa, but a kitten to warm up and revive. 

I had a vet appointment booked, so when we had settled the babies onto the milk bar, and all seemed calmer, I went to see Ross, and obviously told him what had happened.  He agreed there wasn't a lot we could do, as hand feeding is best avoided, and not always successful.  I also had been told earlier in the morning, that my older daughter may be going down with swine 'flu, so we went in search of Tamiflu.  All kittens were feeding, but Mum was spaced out and in shock.  We looked in about half an hour later, and found she had birthed another two kittens.  Again they seemed to be feeding well.

But Mum was just not interested, so we were worried that she was so shocked or may be ill. Graham spent all of Saturday night sleeping on the sofa, and every time one baby cried, he did it's bottom, as Mum did,t do a thing.  I stayed down until 3 am, but he told me to go up and then in the morning I would be of more use.  So  we ended up at our vets again, not our usual branch but one of their own vets, who set a drip up for her, she spoke to Ross, and we brought her back with her drip in place.  We had to turn the dial to a different setting at about 8 pm.

Again Graham spent the night with her,  sometimes  he got up every quarter of an hour to place a kitten with Mum and to make sure the heat pad was under them.  Whilst I went to bed, having decided that our Old Boy with the mouth tumour will have to go to Rainbow Bridge tomorrow to save his dignity, as his ability to eat and drink on his own had now almost ended. :(

We had a car full today, with the Old Boy, two girls to be spayed, and also the poorly Mum and remaining 2 kittens.  One died at about 11 pm Sunday night, one at about 7 am, and the third one at about 7.25 am today. 

I signed the paperwork for the spay ops, and we held the Old Boy and he purred his way to a peaceful sleep.  Ross gave him a top up of medication and his heart stopped beating.  We brought him home with us, and let the animals that he shared the kitchen with say their goodbyes.

We obviously left the kittens and their Mum to be looked at as soon as possible.  Ross telephoned later, he said that her uterus didn't seem right, so he would open her up, and check for FIP, and also send off what he needed to the lab.  She didn't have FIV or FELV, as he tested her for those.  He said we would probably lose the other kittens soon too.  If she looked like she had FIP he wouldn't wake her up, but let her go quietly.

True to his word,  he 'phoned me later to let me know it was FIP, and that the kittens had also died. He asked me to let Angie know.

I don't think it has hit me yet, with all of this going on, but as usual, humans are to blame, she shouldn't have caught FIP, and she definitely shouldn't have been pregnant, she looked quite young, and looked as if she had been around for a while.  It is lucky that the girl asked us to help, everyone else said they couldn't due to room.  RSPCA offered to pts, as did a local vets without even seeing her.  Perhaps they would have been right in the end, knowing what we know now.  But if she had  have been left on the streets, she and her babies would have had an awful death.  So let's be positive and hope we did the right thing in the circumstances.  Usually we get them for longer before they give birth and get to have a good relationship with the Mums to be, however not this time. 

I have been washing all related laundry on a very hot wash, as recommended by our vet nurses, and they have disinfected the kitten cage, and my litter tray and the scoop we kept for that tray.  Whoops, I have accidentally washed my Snugglesafe heat pad on a hot wash with some bedding.
Coventry Cat Group

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009, 22:14:00 PM »
Angie and all at Covcats - you've had a horrible few days, and my heart goes out to you :hug: :hug:

but I know for every one you lose you save so many many more, and that is of course why you do it, and I'm sure it's what makes it worth while
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 22:05:11 PM »
really sorry to hear about this little family Angie.  You must be devestated but as others have said they knew love and warmth and safety for the short time they were in this world.  Play hard at the bridge babes.
xx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 21:36:09 PM »
I am sorry Angie.
RIP mum and babies. :(

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 21:26:40 PM »
So very sorry Angie  :hug:

RIP babies - have fun at the rainbow bridge sweethearts xxx
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 21:14:22 PM »
So sorry Angie. :care:

RIP, little ones.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 19:54:43 PM »
Im so sorry to hear they lost the battle to live, you must be so sad :( its heartbreaking at the best of times but to loose an entire family is devastating and they never had a chance at life, thank you for trying to save them even tho you couldnt, you did your best :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 19:51:52 PM »
Very sad news.   :hug:   RIP Mum cat and her family

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 19:49:50 PM »
Sorry you have lost this little family  :( luckily they had warmth and love before leaving for the bridge, for this they would be grateful.  :hug:
Do you know what happened?

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 19:37:06 PM »
Im so very, very sad to read this  - RIP Mum cat and kittens

Not much, I know, but  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both, Angie and Judith - caring is NEVER in vain  :) 
People Power Works!!!

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 19:34:38 PM »
Oh no!!! How terribly sad for mum cat and her babes.....all together now at Rainbow Bridge....RIP x

Big hugs for all concerned!  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 19:33:40 PM »
 So sorry to hear this Angie   :hug:

:'( :'( God Bless Mum cat and kittens
all safe now together xx
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 19:35:05 PM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline LilyandGary

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 19:31:59 PM »
To Angie and Judith, and all at Covcats -

I`m so sorry to hear that the little mum and kittens have lost their fight for life. It just doesnt seem fair sometimes - for this little mum to find love, kindess and shelter for such a short while.

Thank you all for caring, even if it seems in vain sometimes.

The day we stop caring and being concerned about those who cannot stand up for themselves is the day we should cease to be involved.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
Re: covcats - fingers crossed for new mum and babies
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 19:12:13 PM »
Well mum cat and final kittens have died so I guess we are not quite as full as we were however we are certainly in a very sad place today.

We do rescue to try and prevent things like this happening, even when we get it thrown back at us by people who don't listen and probably don't really care to.

RIP mum and Babies , some of us care and try and make a difference.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 19:10:37 PM »
Well mum cat and final kittens have died so I guess we are not quite as full as we were however we are certainly in a very sad place today.

We do rescue to try and prevent things like this happening, even when we get it thrown back at us by people who don't listen to us.

RIP mum and Babies , some of us care and try and make a difference.

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 16:13:50 PM »
Oh dear, sorry to hear this. :(
Is this the pregnant cat from Brum?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 16:06:35 PM »
Aw how sad!  :( RIP little babes....play hard at the Bridge! x

Positive vibes being sent to mum cat, I do hope she will be okay bless her!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 16:04:38 PM »
Oh dear  :( r.i.p. little ones , no-one can harm you now :hug: fingers crossed for Mum and the other remaining kittens :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 15:20:46 PM »
awww such a shame  :'(
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 15:18:26 PM »
I'm sure judith will update this when she has some time to recover.
3 kiittens have died and they are all at the vets. mum is very poorly and they may operate to see if there is a kitten left or an infection.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 08:09:12 AM »
Fingers crossed for some positive news
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat