Author Topic: Really Sad Case - Penny & Monday 10yr old kitties - RIP Monday  (Read 42574 times)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
Re: Really Sad Case - Penny & Monday 10yr old kitties - NEW!!!! Pics on now
« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2009, 22:50:37 PM »
Great to hear that they are still holding their own and enjoying life ;D

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2009, 22:06:32 PM »
Thanks for the update, good to see that they are doing well ;D

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2009, 22:04:43 PM »
 :) Glad to hear about them and that they're still doing well, hugs to them both  :hug:
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2009, 21:52:14 PM »
Thanks go to Ginge for reminding me that I haven't updated this thread in a while.

The dynamic duo are still doing fine and are enjoying the warmer weather that is for sure... well on the odd occasion we actually get some!

Penny's weight has been a bit up and down of late and we did have her in for a check up but everything seems to be fine so they reckon it is just a case of her age getting the better of her.  We are however continuing to monitor her weight.

Monday is also being monitored and recently checked over again by the vet as we felt he was losing a little weight and his coat is dulling.  Checkup hasn't revealed anything as yet and so we will continue with his checkups and take things as they come and he is still continuing on his steroids.

All in all they are both doing well and bright for their age and considering what they have been through and we'll continue to do what we can for them to make them comfortable which for now seems to be working.
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #147 on: June 05, 2009, 09:21:53 AM »
thanks guys! :)   lol @ Jayney!  ;)     They seem to be a tough old duo to be honest and despite their age just keep plodding on.  Monday is so mischievious that mum often says to me that he can be that bad now she would dread to imagine what he was like when he was younger!  lol     A cat who definately likes to get his own way!

Will deffo make a point of leaving the camera out for Monday (next time I'm at mum's) :)

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #146 on: June 04, 2009, 22:19:52 PM »
 :Luv: Great to hear about their progress - it's odd, I was thinking about them yesterday as well and was going to check the Madkitty website this evening to see if there was an update!

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #145 on: June 04, 2009, 21:01:27 PM »
lol  thanks Jayney... ... you did make me chuckle tho... its Penny who has Hyper T and Monday who has the cancer!  lol ;) ;) ;)

ahh, it's where you mentioned the scabs which confoosed me  :evillaugh: but it's from the nips I see! I was supposed to have checked that too  ;)

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #144 on: June 04, 2009, 20:27:27 PM »
Thanks for the update, funnily enough I was only thinking about them last night :) Glad to see they are doing ok and look forward to some pictures.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #143 on: June 04, 2009, 14:21:46 PM »
I was thinking of these 2 the other day and meant to ask how they are doing.  I am so glad to hear how well they are doing, a real credit to the love and TLC received from you an your Mum  :Luv2:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #142 on: June 04, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »
oh he does have the sweetest of natures... he's just a typical ginger!   lol   very cheeky and likes to get things his own way! ;)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #141 on: June 04, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
and to think that you described them both as having 'the sweetest of natures' early on - I guess Monday was hiding his darker side from you until he got his paws well under the table :sneaky:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #140 on: June 04, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
lol  thanks Jayney... ... you did make me chuckle tho... its Penny who has Hyper T and Monday who has the cancer!  lol ;) ;) ;)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #139 on: June 04, 2009, 11:33:29 AM »
Great to hear they are all (3) still doing well  ;D glad that Penny's nose is being helped (Byron rubs her nose on me really hard like that for some strange reason  :evillaugh:) and good that Monday's HT has stabilized.  it sounds like they have really made themselves at home with your mum.  Look forward to photos!

Sorry to hear about your mum's dog and Sandy the cat  :hug:

RIP doggy and kitty xx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #138 on: June 04, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »
Hi Jayney... sorry not updated for a while things here at the rescue are exceptionally manic at the moment at the rescue and we have just hit our 100th cat needing our help!  :tired:  which for a rescue our size is immense.  :Crazy:

A lot has been happening at mum's place and she lost her old dog and our old boy Sandy the cat (long term sponsor / foster) in the same week just a fortnight ago so her place has seemed empty of late.   :'(

Monday & Penny are doing very well.  Penny is looking great and despite several scabby bits from all the nipping and scratching that Monday does to her in jealousy she is looking fabulous with a lovely glossy coat and just loves her cuddles and no sign of the Hyper-T raising its ugly head again yet.  Monday continues to be the overbearing of the two and always likes to be at the front of the queue for cuddles and food!

The tablets do still help to 'slow' the formation of the scabbing on his face a little and help him to be a little more comfortable but it does irritate him.  It is not unknown for mum to wake in the night cos he is using her elbow as a scratching post for his nose in the middle of the night!!  Something she doesn't much enjoy!  lol

All in all Monday appears to be doing well.  The area affected is stretching upwards a tad now but as there isn't much we can do for the time being shy of amputating his nose we will just continue to make sure that he is comfortable and look for any signs of the cancer appearing elsewhere.  He is a happy little chap who is full of mischief and a typical little ginger despite being in his twilight years.

Cassie has now become an equal member of the trio and they all get on well and even she isn't spared from Mondays ear nipping and biting when he is jealous or wants his own way! lol little  :naughty: that he is.   ;)

Next time I'm down at mums (probably next week) I'll try to remember to take the camera with me and get some update piccies for you!  :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #137 on: June 04, 2009, 10:59:43 AM »
How are these dear kitties doing now?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #136 on: February 28, 2009, 20:31:04 PM »
i am glad that they are slowing things down, and hope that there is a decent amount of time before any decisions have to be made. Cinnamon Trust swear by Rescue REmedy for cases when pairs have to lose a friend, and they start it before it actually happens, might be worth considering for Penny.
Please spay your cat

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #135 on: February 28, 2009, 17:23:30 PM »
awww thanks for the update its good to know how their doing. Have you got a picture of Cassie or better still one with them altogether, would love to see it if you have ;D

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2009, 16:35:21 PM »
Sending healing vibes

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2009, 13:15:15 PM »
a big  :hug: for your mum in taking these two to her heart
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2009, 13:01:20 PM »
the pred seem to be helping in slowing down the formation of the scabs on his nose which is good although not stopping it completely but its better than nothing.

Both of them are doing really well and Monday is a happy, yet cheeky wee soul and I have to admit when you see him and Penny together you can't help but laugh.  If you speak to Penny then Monday get jealous and has a wee 'nip' at her to say get out of the way and she does!  walks all over her but she loves him to bits!

Now that they are also living with Cassie one of our long term cats the 3 of them have all formed a bond so we are hoping that when the time comes and Monday leaves us that Cassie will help fill the void for Penny although knowing how strong their bond is it really is a sad thought but we'll see what happens.

Regardless they are very happy and snuggle under the covers with mum of a night and she has become very fond of them both and we will keep them as comfortable as we can in their time with us until its their time to go to the bridge. :)

:) awwww pleased to hear they are doing well and the steroid is helping a bit, that is also good about a friend for Penny should the time come as I was wondering about that actually.  Keep us updated on how they are I do think of them  :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
I am afraid I have missed this thread and so sad about Monday  :(

The two of them look lovely and its nice that there is now a threesome so Penny will not be left alone.

Lots of good wishes for Monday  :hug:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2009, 11:53:53 AM »
the pred seem to be helping in slowing down the formation of the scabs on his nose which is good although not stopping it completely but its better than nothing.

Both of them are doing really well and Monday is a happy, yet cheeky wee soul and I have to admit when you see him and Penny together you can't help but laugh.  If you speak to Penny then Monday get jealous and has a wee 'nip' at her to say get out of the way and she does!  walks all over her but she loves him to bits!

Now that they are also living with Cassie one of our long term cats the 3 of them have all formed a bond so we are hoping that when the time comes and Monday leaves us that Cassie will help fill the void for Penny although knowing how strong their bond is it really is a sad thought but we'll see what happens.

Regardless they are very happy and snuggle under the covers with mum of a night and she has become very fond of them both and we will keep them as comfortable as we can in their time with us until its their time to go to the bridge. :)

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »
How are these 2  :Luv: :Luv: doing?

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: February 15, 2009, 14:02:36 PM »
glad they are trying an alternative and everything crossed for him xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #127 on: February 15, 2009, 13:56:06 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed the new meds help a lot.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #126 on: February 15, 2009, 13:36:58 PM »
have spoken to the vets about Monday and we are going to try him on some Prednisolone and see if that helps any without the tummy probs.  He started them this weekend so hopefully it will help halt his scabbing and make him more comfortable over the next wee whiley.

He is still doing great though and as chipper and cheeky as ever bless him.  :Luv2:   he says a big thank you for all the hugs and good wishes and sends lots of nose rubs and purrs to you all :Luv2:

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2009, 17:25:25 PM »
It's such a shame.

At least you know what you're dealing with now and it can be treated accordingly.

I know when Edward was sick he lasted quite a few weeks longer than the vet thought he would.  He was diagnosed in Decmber, and she didn't think he'd make it through Christmas, but he lasted well into January (his was a very aggressive cancer, and he didn't have steroids, because it would have only prolonged his life a short while).

So sad, but spoil him a litle extra.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2009, 17:04:08 PM »
Very best of luck for the lovely boy xx

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2009, 20:41:39 PM »
I'm very sure he will.  I will be speaking to the vet again about seeing if there are any other steroids we can use as those so far including injections have left him in terrible pain in his abdomen as well as diahorrea.  Suppose sometimes its hard to know what to do for the best but we can only try.

Bless him, he's none the wiser and still as cheeky as ever.  However long he has left at least we know that it will be as happy and fun filled for this little chap as it can be :Luv2:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2009, 14:43:53 PM »
We got steroid injections from the vet for Gracie and used them fortnightly - she was a feral old gal and the vets agreed this lessoned the stress of vets visits hope you can do this for Monday

Our vets always put the cat first and we let them guide us but in the end as the vets agreed we know our cats and dogs and take our lead from them

I'm sure Monday will have the best of care and will advise acordingly when he is ready to go - all ours have to date except Tiger who went at the vet with no warning but thats how he turned up and moved in so really a true feral to the end!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »
I am sorry to hear the biopsy confirmed your suspicions, but I would agree with Jane about trying a different steroid, it could be that it works, and Pebbles only had to have one injection a month. At least these two are safe, and will be spoiled for however long they have.
Please spay your cat

Offline Jasmine

• Hero Cat
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2009, 18:24:16 PM »
Sad to hear Monday's news, wishing him lots more quality time being loved, cuddled and served only the finest cuisine!

Jas
 X

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #119 on: February 10, 2009, 17:45:39 PM »
thats our sentiments too Liz.   He's such a happy contented wee soul so for as long as he is happy and no suffering then we'll let him enjoy what time he has left :Luv2:

I popped out to see him yesterday and he is looking good and a happy wee soul... even fighting Penny off so he coiuld get hugs and cuddles first!!! lol   will obviously keep you all posted on his progress and in the meantime I will pass on all your thoughts and hugs which he appreciates..... every single one! :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #118 on: February 09, 2009, 14:50:24 PM »
Sad news but at least now you know and can face the world Monday's way and help him have a lovely life in his remaining time

We lost Miss Gracie to a Tumour in her jaw and vet gave her 6 weeks in true Clan Cat style with the aid of steroids and antibiotics she lasted another 9 months and advised us accordingly when she was ready to go

However long Monday has he is in great hands with you and your family and will be spoilt by his slaves accordingly :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #117 on: February 09, 2009, 11:36:39 AM »
What sad news - keeping both these special little ones in my thoughts and sending love, huggles and positive vibes. xxx  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #116 on: February 09, 2009, 10:12:12 AM »
 :hug: very sad news  :'( like Bonnielass says I think we all had an idea but just hoped we were wrong.  Regarding the steroids can he not have an injection? my Schui tolerates that really well, I just wish there was help for him.  At least he seems happy enough for now please give Monday a massive hug from me - and his friend Penny too xx
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 10:15:26 AM by janeyk »

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2009, 10:01:16 AM »
Oh No poor Monday :( i think we all new the outlook was,nt promising but its still heartbreaking just as he was getting a taste of the good life,  why is life so cruel to the defencless >:( I know he will have the very best while in your care and i will be thinking of him and Penny and sending lots of  vibes for them both and hugs for you too :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2009, 09:40:15 AM »
sorry guys its bad news   :'(   :'(

vet just called and its been confirmed that Mondays skin condition is cancer.  For the time being it has not penetrated to the deep underlying tissue but it will  over time.   How long, we don't know   :scared:    :(

Surgery is not an option because of the affected area so a no go and the steroids give him such terrible diahorrea and sore stomach he is completely miserable.  So, for the time being it is a case of wait and see how Monday does and manages.    The option of PTS is not an option on the table for us while he has quality of life and isn't suffering.

We will keep a close eye on him and keep him under vet supervision and make him as comfortable as we can. Which for the time being he is one very happy little soul   :Luv2:  bless him.

thank you from Monday and Penny for all the good wishes and hugs and please continue to keep the little ones in your thoughts  :Luv2:       :hug:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2009, 16:52:53 PM »
Everything crossed as always for lovely boy xxxx

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2009, 16:26:12 PM »
Fingers crossed for tomorrow and the results,hope its good news for him :Luv: :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Link to CatChat