Author Topic: Discussion on posts from Advertising Sites Split from Nottingham post  (Read 34028 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Nottingham - mum and 1 week old kits £100
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 22:43:32 PM »
I personally think that there shouldnt be any posts from these sites, it just puts pressure on rescues, especially with the amount of them at the moment, it is always a bad time of year with being both holiday and kitten season, and while yes, lives are saved, it can be at the expense of others, and when you start moving cats around the country, it could mean a cat close to a rescue who is now full due to helping one out from here has to stay at risk due to no space, as could easily have happened to Lesley today, if someone closer hadn't been able to help.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 22:33:27 PM »
The way I see it for Purrs and please correct me if you think I am wrong but there should be no more info from any of those sites but members who post needing to rehome etc are still welcome?

Is that what you think?

I just trying to get it absolutely clear for Tan cos I know we have been down this route before and the way she did the current rules was supposed to stop the posting but as we know it hasnt cos the info is mentioned just no links. I also believe that there should be no mention of these sites either by full name or abbreviated name.

Is that what you think is right?

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 22:32:24 PM »
And i take on board what both You Desley and Madkittyrescue have said but surley not posting things like this isnt the answer.

look already DD has got a phone number for a man in Nottingham who might be able to help so hopefully this little one and her babies will end up in good hands rather than being bought by some prat who will just breed from her again ......So this thread might not have been in vain.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 22:18:27 PM »
I agree Sharon, and was going to pm Tan about it this weekend, as there have been sooo many recently, and it is so hard, especially when you get notifications via e-mail, as you cant help but notice the titles, even if all you are doing is deleting them, and the odd ones slip through.
Michelle, the point is that yes, cats have been saved, but at times you have to consider at what expense? And as I posted above, it isn't always that easy to pass threads by, and it sometiimes makes us feel so helpless.
I agree MCR, there are just too many at teh moment, and tht is on top of all the calls and e-mails we get.
Please spay your cat

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 22:14:36 PM »
Sorry but i dont agree -
Many a cat has been saved because it has been posted on here and then someone has been able to help....or someone has found someone else who could help!
Surely if someone hasnt got room they just pass the thread by ?

that's the problem though Michelle... those of us in rescue can't just 'pass the thread by'  (well I certainly can't) and the only reason we can't help is that we are based way up north in most of the cases.  We work in rescue to help ease these situations in our local areas and it is only natural for us to be saddened by pleas in other areas and want to help despite how stretched and exhausted we are already. :tired:

In honesty (my opinion here folks) were it only the odd 1 or 2 posts every now and again it wouldn't be so bad but lately there can be 2 or 3 a day and I just don't see the point in looking out these ads intentionally if the person themselves cannot help.  If I had time and space to check the ads with a view to taking on a case then so be it that would be my choice but we are already inundated with calls and cases on our doorstep... as I'm sure every other rescue on here is.   :scared:

I also don't believe that stretching ourselves past breaking point to deal with these cases is the best way to 'aid' the situation.  Yes we will help that particular cat, but education and awareness have to go hand in hand or we are all banging our heads on a brick wall. 

It is probably not a topic that everyone will agree on now, or even in the future but we all do really try our best and reading more and more of these cases where we can't help just upsets us.   :'(
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 21:04:11 PM »
Gill, sorry i think we posted at the same time.. !

Well.. perhaps this little debate just makes people think about posting on here as i tell you WE HAVE NO ROOM! Unless a cat is death and dying (or serious welfare grounds, in which case we will pay for vets care and board) there is not any space for another puss cat. and i am sure that applies to just about every rescue on here....!

So peeps if you cannot help personally or in a position to help ... then please think before your post.... !

Sorry but i dont agree -
Many a cat has been saved because it has been posted on here and then someone has been able to help....or someone has found someone else who could help!
Surely if someone hasnt got room they just pass the thread by ?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 20:24:26 PM »
No problem we cross posted  ;D and so wish all members would take notice of this plea.

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 20:22:30 PM »
Gill, sorry i think we posted at the same time.. !

Well.. perhaps this little debate just makes people think about posting on here as i tell you WE HAVE NO ROOM! Unless a cat is death and dying (or serious welfare grounds, in which case we will pay for vets care and board) there is not any space for another puss cat. and i am sure that applies to just about every rescue on here....!

So peeps if you cannot help personally or in a position to help ... then please think before your post.... !
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 20:26:29 PM by Canterbury_cats (Sharon) »
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 20:12:23 PM »
I posted the link to the rules on my thread below Sharon.

If you wanted some more info please pm me  ;D

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 20:09:31 PM »
Agree with all. This could be another thread entirely but as i am unsure as the "rules" on Purrs regarding these posts... it would be welcome if a MOD could give guidelines... as there has def been an increase in such posts lately.. and although very few of those adverts are Kent based.. i know it must be terrible for those rescues that are in the thick of all the problems... Its not fair..!

In rescue it dawns on you sometime down the road a few years, that financially, emotionally and resource wise you just cannot help every animal in need.. But we can help to educate and thats the way forward .... But please dont put even more pressure on rescues as its hard enough already!

Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 20:06:00 PM »
I do agree with what has been said here  but as long as members keep posting the info it bypasses our rules!

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,4721.0.html

Angie , ummmmm Angie you posted this  :shify:

I have stated my feelings before and been crucified I think but I do not think any information from these sites should be posted on Purrs.

In my humble opinion you should stay away from the sites unless you personally can help in a given situation, its useless just posting more and more heartbreak stories that make peeps and rescues feel guilty for not trying to help.

There are so many cats out there needing help because of irresponsible people but there is a limit to what can be done  :(

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 19:54:48 PM »
I do agree about the feelings the posts can raise as you feel that with it being in a public forum you are impelled to try to help (not that you wouldn't normally, but I mean even when we are already swamped).  There does seem to have been a real increase though in the number of these 'tree' site posts in the last few weeks and a lot of them seem to be in a concentrated area which I suppose can put an undue amount of pressure on rescue's in that area.  I think Dawn, for one is one of those who has been run off her feet with these cases lately.

rather than answering to each and every 'ad' .... perhaps when these posts are arising in concentrated areas perhaps it is worth asking one of the larger charities with advertising budgets to perhaps draw a focussed awareness campaign to the public in these areas regarding not only neutering but the pro's of chanelling these 'instances' (for lack of a better word)  through rescues. ????   

just a thought!   :shy:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Corporal Smokey

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Amy, Cpl. Smokey and Lord Chester Red Bear <3
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 19:46:34 PM »
I refuse to look at these sites because the people anger me so much and I've been unfortunate enough to know people like it. I used to work with a girl who'd split up with a nasty boyfriend and decided to buy the biggest dog she could to scare him away. Needless to say the dog was sold on within weeks and she'd bought a kitten instead to keep her company. I'm sure you can guess what happened next...  >:(

Ashfield and Amber Valley Cats Protection and Cat Chat

http://www.catchat.org/ashfield/cgibin/prtoc.cgi
http://www.ashfieldcats.org.uk
http://www.catchat.org/topcats

True love is rescued. Miss you always Josh and Hope xx

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 19:44:45 PM »
Sharon I agree with you entirely, its one thing to post for genuine pleas for help but these constant adverts cause a lot of stress to those who want to help but are unable, I will be honest I complained to Tan about some time ago.

As to the buying of cats, I am sorry but in my opinion buying these cats/kittens/dogs/whatever is just creating a market for these BSB`s, if this woman gets her £100 you can bet the other mum and kittens will be offered for £200 then she will start off with a couple of new kittens and breed again. I really feel so sorry for the animals in these situations but we all need to look at this longterm.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 19:43:06 PM »
I've mixed feelings on posting them, as although sometimes I can't help, I can help by putting pleas out and sometimes these pay off, so if anyone does get any that they need help with, they are more than welcome to contact me and I'll do what I can  :hug:  :hug:

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 18:52:06 PM »
Angie... sorry to hijack you post.. But i am glad to hear that  people agree with my points. And although i realise that some rescues do post about this, i do think its got to a point now when we stay PLEASE DONT... instead just give a link and a friendly email to the person that posts and hopefully we try to educate them..Posting on Purrs just springs people in action where sometimes that action can be better spent on dealing with those cats that have no one...
May seem harsh.. but at least some of these people, although idiots are at least feeding cats and they have shelter..Some poorly strays or the 3 cat flu kittens i had calls about this week have no hope, not even a advert in the paper !

Sorry but.. (and i realise that i too have posted a few times aboutTree sites) its getting abit to depressing!

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 18:41:25 PM »
Not sure if this is the rignt thing to say.. But i dont think rescues should be paying for cats in this situation..I hope that she can be convinced just to hand them over..

The amount of posts on Purrs lately from Tree adds etc.. is making my head spin.. It puts so much pressure on rescues.. They must be a better way of dealing with this...For instance the 6 calls i have had today that i have had to say no too(but put them on a list) for all i know they will put adverts on sites and a innocent rescue may see that advert and for all we know they then instantly jump the queue in lieu of the many, many strays and poorly cats that we have to priortise this time of year...
Dont wish to upset anyone... here.. but its been on my mind for days, and is probably a thread in itself.

Totally agree on both points.

I would never expect to pay for a cat coming in.

Also agree that any mention of these sites should be banned from here. I feel stressed whenever I see one of these as a rescue and feel annoyed and hopeless. I only look on these sites if I have a space that I can offer otherwise there is no point, apart from to upset myself.
I know that goes against me starting this post, but in fairness to myself this post was pointed out to me and of course you can't (or at least I can't) then forget.

I think the best thing people can do if they see one of the posts is to reply giving them a link to the rescues on catchat and suggest that the owner contact all of them and seek help in homing (well apart from going round and kicking the  :censored: owner).

Like everyone else there is no room here and I have agreed to accept a kitten in the morning and just put a stay tom in a pen in my shed at the top of the garden. I can also declare myself totally  :censored: with the  :censored: people in this country.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 16:47:52 PM »
Not sure if this is the rignt thing to say.. But i dont think rescues should be paying for cats in this situation..I hope that she can be convinced just to hand them over..

I agree 100%, the plea I've put out is to try and get whoever to persuade the seller to hand the mum and kittens over hopefully to a rescue, rather than sell them.  I must admit I get upset seeing all these posts and try not to look if I can help it as I feel helpless when I can't help  :'(

Agree wholeheartedly.  It may not be fair on the cats advertised on there, but I feel so bad that I can't help them due to being stretched already that I do not look at these now.  The ads are heartbreaking and the people posting them, I feel, do not feel the same way about their own pet or care about it, as much as we rescues do and they know what someone somewhere will feel bad enough to help, or that someone will pay the money they want and then they have made money and no longer have the worry or responsibility.  These people can't really be worrying about what is going to happen to mum and kittens to advertise them in this way.

Probably find she has an un-neutered tom in the house too.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 16:48:34 PM by Lesley (Eight Lives Left Kitten Rescue) »
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

• Super Cat
Discussion on posts from Advertising Sites Split from Nottingham post
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 16:37:17 PM »

The amount of posts on Purrs lately from Tree adds etc.. is making my head spin.. It puts so much pressure on rescues.. They must be a better way of dealing with this...For instance the 6 calls i have had today that i have had to say no too(but put them on a list) for all i know they will put adverts on sites and a innocent rescue may see that advert and for all we know they then instantly jump the queue in lieu of the many, many strays and poorly cats that we have to priortise this time of year...

Dont wish to upset anyone... here.. but its been on my mind for days, and is probably a thread in itself.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 00:28:06 AM by Tan »

Link to CatChat