Author Topic: Discussion on posts from Advertising Sites Split from Nottingham post  (Read 34029 times)

Offline moira

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Oscar, Frankie, Timmy, Sophie, Dudley, Kofi, Maurice, Max, Barney, Sammy, Flynn, Molly, Nulla, Winnie, Patch, Sooty
Re: Discussion on posts from Advertising Sites Split from Nottingham post
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
Totally agree that changing public opinion via education about the need for neutering and rehoming via rescues is crucial. It is not just the back street breeders for profit that need stopped. It is the 'decent' people who allow their cats to have 'just one litter' who are oblivious to the extent of the crisis. My intranet at work allows kittens for sale ads although I have asked them to change their policy. Now, whenever I see an ad for kittens for sale I post my own ad at the back of it asking anyone who can provide a loving home to a needy cat to contact their local rescues and I provide the Catchat link to list of rescues in my area.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2009, 10:54:40 AM »
A tv campaign would be great... Some people still have the view not to get their cats neutered... Some of it is that they are unaware of the risks and most of it is total stupidity!!!

I see lots of ads on tv via RSPCA etc... Surely to advertise about the neutering schemes etc would get word around better?  :Crazy:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #137 on: August 25, 2009, 09:54:28 AM »
Talking of cruelty ads. I spoke to a woman this morning who runs a drop-in centre who confiscated a cat and it's one surviving kitten from a client with mental health issues. She phoned  " a well known organisiation" first and was told that as she has taken the cat, it is now her responsibilty. Also they will assume that any signs of ill treatment were caused by her! - she said she put the phone down on them! - she has the cat booked in at the vet today at her own expense and is trying to find a rescue space although she did mention possible PTS if the cat is too sick. Apparently, the cat and kitten had been left in a disgusting flat alone for a week.

The lady has a large dog that doesn't like cats. She said she isn't a cat person herself but had to save ithe cat and kitten. It is being looked after short term by her neighbour in a pribvately rented flat with a "no animals" clause.

btw - Space allowing, this is the type of cat we need to be able to accommodate quickly  :(
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:57:36 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #136 on: August 25, 2009, 07:34:49 AM »
I agree Angie, and i have said on one thread in the past few days about the larger charities changing their adverts to a neutering one, rather than the cruelty one currently seen. I wish that the people who dont neuter their cats could see the heartbreaking side of rescue, it might make them change their mind.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »
think the most important thing anyone can do (and thank goodness Its preaching to the converted on here!) is spread the gospel of neutering and adopting from rescues. Ultimately less cats is the only solution

Totally agree.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #134 on: August 24, 2009, 09:40:42 AM »
I think the most important thing anyone can do (and thank goodness Its preaching to the converted on here!) is spread the gospel of neutering and adopting from rescues. Ultimately less cats is the only solution... :(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #133 on: August 24, 2009, 09:37:17 AM »

I wonder if more rescues should not be encouraging this approach?

That is exactly what we do until we have the space to take the little one in. The problem is that often when people think a cat is a stray they feed it and don't ring us until the cat is ill, pregnant or it starts to get cold at night. If only they would contact us immediately they suspect a cat is a stray then by the time it really needs help we could have either found its owner, had it spayed or it would already be in care and hopefully have found a new home.

What I think bothers some people in rescue on here (and as previously posted)  is that most people know we are always full to bursting and it is fine to post for help for a particular cat. But rescues do not want the same person contacting them in other ways requesting help when they know full well the position. If the request was ‘how do I place a little one on your list of cats waiting to come in’ that would be a different matter, then again once you have advised them they should know for the future;  D  It is just not fair we have enough to worry about.

Maybe I am too soft, but I really wouldn't want to be involved in giving people packs to allow strays to live in their garden, they deserve much better than that. I am also not a fan of direct homing

I am with you 100%. What I find in most of these cases is that as soon as the cat needs to see a vet it suddenly becomes called a stray and ‘not my responsibility’.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #132 on: August 23, 2009, 21:45:02 PM »
Ferals are different in that they are used to it and in the whole dont like the human company, and there are cats who much prefer to be outside, but when I look at some of the pics of the strays I have picked up in their new home enjoying being on sofa's and beds, I would hate for them to be living in a shelter in someone's garden, and it could be harder to keep an eye on certain health issues too - look at Rosie - she was someones much loved pet, but because she never used the tray or drank in the house, no one knew she had CRF.

Yep, true although most of the ferals will quite happily come very close to me now and I do think that some actually like us a little other than for food because if I sit and talk to Zippy eg she talks back and does that rolling round showing off behaviour. 

Yep, the old ones, I am concerned about a few of ours now as they are getting older some are over 10 now infact I was thinking the other day some of them could have health issues and we wouldn't know, I will keep a close eye on them but what can we do other than that.
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #131 on: August 23, 2009, 21:33:21 PM »
of course living in a garden isn't ideal - but until there is a loving home for every cat, it's surely better than nothing

or am I missing the point here? do all unwanted cats and strays find a loving home?

and I have to say that my Trigger, a Russian Blue, would much prefer to live independantly in a garden than be in a pen or a house full of strange cats

there ought, IMO, be more than one solution to the problem of so many cats in need
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2009, 20:55:03 PM »
Ferals are different in that they are used to it and in the whole dont like the human company, and there are cats who much prefer to be outside, but when I look at some of the pics of the strays I have picked up in their new home enjoying being on sofa's and beds, I would hate for them to be living in a shelter in someone's garden, and it could be harder to keep an eye on certain health issues too - look at Rosie - she was someones much loved pet, but because she never used the tray or drank in the house, no one knew she had CRF.
Please spay your cat

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #129 on: August 23, 2009, 20:51:44 PM »
Maybe I am too soft, but I really wouldn't want to be involved in giving people packs to allow strays to live in their garden, they deserve much better than that. I am also not a fan of direct homing, as our first attempt at it went completely wrong and the cat ended up in our care after all - and I dont know what the woman was doing, as her description of him was nothing like the cat I cared for.

As I have always said, there are multiple ways of helping rescues, and it doesn't have to just be fostering, or physically going spending hours at the rescue centre, there are so many things that people can do, and what most of the people on here do, to help out rescues.

I don't think I would agree with packs to allow strays to live in gardens either and it is always best for a cat to have a home but I am not against cats mainly living outside if they have the proper care.  Our ferals are very well cared for and do go in next doors with her ex-feral, none have been lost to the road because they are in a safe area.  Then there is Matty who I found out was a stray and liiving with the old lady and her son.  he doesn't live indoors but has beds in the greenhouse to sleep in he never leaves her garden since I got him neutered and seems really happy there. 

You're right there are lots of ways to help and as you say many of us do that  :) 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 20:52:36 PM by Janeyk »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #128 on: August 23, 2009, 20:26:08 PM »
Maybe I am too soft, but I really wouldn't want to be involved in giving people packs to allow strays to live in their garden, they deserve much better than that. I am also not a fan of direct homing, as our first attempt at it went completely wrong and the cat ended up in our care after all - and I dont know what the woman was doing, as her description of him was nothing like the cat I cared for.

As I have always said, there are multiple ways of helping rescues, and it doesn't have to just be fostering, or physically going spending hours at the rescue centre, there are so many things that people can do, and what most of the people on here do, to help out rescues.
Please spay your cat

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #127 on: August 23, 2009, 19:39:35 PM »
We need a sample of your DNA Trigger so we can clone you and spread you around the world!  ;) :hug:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #126 on: August 23, 2009, 19:27:35 PM »
I suppose I have been musing on the problem because I have Tosker living in and out of my enclosure, and seemingly quite happy to settle for food, kennel and tray, none of which costs me a great deal of time or trouble to provide

because he was rehomed to me I hope to domesticate him one day, and he is only 2 - but had he been a stray used to the outdoor life I could have done as much anyway

also I sit on a 50+ Steering Group run by Carmarthenshire Council, and have been considering suggesting some kind of neighbourhood scheme to care for pets of elderly people hospitalised or needing general help - that recent thread re someone needing help with litter trays made me think too - that a cat should have to be rehomed, and the owner deprived of it, because she couldn't manage the litter tray, seems such a shame

now I am thinking along the lines of a kind of stray starter pack - cat flap for shed or kennel, litter tray, bowls,  flea spray/wormer, bed etc - to be given out to anyone willing to look after a stray - perhaps linking them to donations from inidividulals  and local firms along the lines of £xx will save a stray

sorry for hijacking this thread, but the problems of rescues are new to me, and as there is no nearby rescue to help out directly I can only sit here and muse aloud :thinking:
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #125 on: August 23, 2009, 19:09:54 PM »
The majority of people just want the problem gone without any involvement on their part. We sometimes joke about it but it is a fact that people are really surprised when they phone about a stray or something that we aren't going to jump in a little white van an collect it within the hour  :tired: - as has been said before, they always give a multitude of reasons why "their" stray is different to all the others on the list.

I have never forgotten a case I have posted about before. It was not long after I started volunteering and I was running the B&B at the time. I had a house full of guests and Sharon rang me saying a woman said there was a young cat and it was in danger of being run over. Sharon asked if she could keep it somewhere safe - ie a shed or garage until one of us could get there (also there was going to be a space available at Sharn's cattery in the afternoon) . She said she was allergic and couldn't go near it. As soon as I had finished breakfast, I left all the clearing up and went over. The cat was in her garden and she was fussing it. I asked her about the allergy and she said "you have to tell a few white lies to get things done sometimes don't you" - I felt like decking her  >:( - to add insult to injury, the cat hadn't been anywhere near the road. I took the cat back to the house and had him in the kitchen, much to Willow's chagrin. He was a lovely cat. She hadn't fed him and he ate 3 trays of Sheba before falling asleep on Willow's bed  :Luv2: - I cleared up the kitchen and it was lunchtime by then. So then we drove to Sharn's and literally passed the woman's house on the way  :tired:

A week later, she phoned my mobile nearly in tears asking if she could have him as she had got attached to him. If she was that attached, WTF hadn't she fed the poor thing?  :(

Anyway, I still have his pics  :)

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #124 on: August 23, 2009, 18:54:51 PM »
It would be brilliant if an all round solution could be found!  :wish: There's many a good brain on this Forum and sometimes its the most simplest of suggestions that can work out.... Thinking caps any one?  :sneaky:

*My brain is out of action* so i'll just  :allears: and  :popcorn: if ya's dont mind!  ;) :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #123 on: August 23, 2009, 18:48:29 PM »
ely

are you able to bulk buy, for instance, and pass on the savings, perhaps even making a small profit for yourselves?

definately a no on that one!

it maybe different for the national charities such as CP or RSPCA. If not they at least seem to have a monopoly on the food bins in all the supermarkets and vets round here.....
when we get bonanza's like the pilchards we are more than happy to pass on to other groups and individuals (in fact I'm sure some of them were hiding behind their sofas last time!)

as far as helping the old ladies look after strays, sadly the old ladies here don't want to and they are some of the ones we prioritise to get in :(

but keep musing on..... many a true word and all that!  :sneaky:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2009, 18:07:11 PM »
sadly I expect your right, Angie, about people taking advantage - which is why I was not thinking of rescues paying for food etc unless they knew the 'minder' was really hard up - I suspect a fair percentage of the 'minders' I have in my mind would be pensioners, who are more likely to notice a stray hanging around, and more likely to get pleasure from helping out an old codger cat if the job isn't too challenging

but I was just musing - as you do ;) - if rescues are in a postition to help out indirectly by supplying stray 'minders' with discounted food, kennels, cat flaps, meds etc rather than funding completely

are you able to bulk buy, for instance, and pass on the savings, perhaps even making a small profit for yourselves?
Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Janeyk

• Board Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2009, 17:49:58 PM »
I could not take in another cat, but would always feed a stray which appeared in my garden, and supply it with an outdoor kennel and any vet treatment, including neutering, at my own cost - and fuss too if accepted

I wonder if more rescues should not be encouraging this approach? it wouldn't do for pregnant cats or kittens, but many Mr Tramp type cats could lead a decent life like this, surely

would it be  cheaper to provide a Mr Snugs kennel, for instance, than take into care? or a cat flap for a shed?

That is what we do with the ferals and have done with strays Trigger. infact people that come and see the ferals, eg when Pep's fosterer came she was surprised at how healthy and happy the ferals were which she saw, also our local CP is nearby and they were grateful that we were prepared do this when they are just too full to take any more cats in.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2009, 17:40:17 PM »
I could not take in another cat, but would always feed a stray which appeared in my garden, and supply it with an outdoor kennel and any vet treatment, including neutering, at my own cost - and fuss too if accepted

I wonder if more rescues should not be encouraging this approach?

Some rescues do  :sneaky:

we are always happy to put cats on to our website if the 'finder' is willing to look after and I'm sure most other rescue are only to happy to support this, though of course I cannot speak for them.

The only thing to bear in mind is that while the vast majority of the people on this site would not try to fleece a rescue in the real world there are many people who would happily let a rescue fund food, meds and a nice shelter in the garden.
Again not speaking for anyone or having a go at anyone but I am sure this would lead to rescues funding some peoples pets (now there's a solution!)

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2009, 17:28:03 PM »

I wonder if more rescues should not be encouraging this approach? it wouldn't do for pregnant cats or kittens, but many Mr Tramp type cats could lead a decent life like this, surely

would it be  cheaper to provide a Mr Snugs kennel, for instance, than take into care? or a cat flap for a shed?

rescues need to be able to put their main energies into trapping and neutering, it seems to me, rather than having to keep reacting to urgent cases requiring a lot of input and expense

Robert A. Heinlein:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2009, 17:06:09 PM »
Michelle please don't fan the flames .. I was musing aloud. As I also stated in the post when i was constantly editing what i had written.

pot calling kettle - i did not mutter the 'them and us' word first.

I also stated in the many posts that it didn't matter who asked - the bottom line is too full to help so thats not discriminating.

And yes, I do think people can sometimes be more helpful - like the lady in Coventry who reported Ziggy to us (the not old oldie).  Posh house , one cat of her own, large garden backing on to allotments and could not feed a stray??? The next person who tells me face to face "I don't know what to do with fluffy, I can only think of PTS " will find me taking them and the cat to the vet so that they can do what they threaten.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 17:07:42 PM by Angie (covcats) »

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2009, 16:46:38 PM »

I hope I wasn't involved in an 'us' and 'them' comment. But I think the answer is stress and frustration.

When i see an individual post something like that I have visions os someone with a few cats, no doubt a spare room somewhere, who, if they really wanted to help could take a cat in (even if temporarily).

When i see a similar plea from a rescue , I see it as coming from someone who might recognise a serious problem (dealing with URGENTS all day long and trying to sort out those that really are), someone whose place is not only FULL of cats but overfull as they try to squeeze the last emergency in to the detriment of themselves and their own family (human and animal).

There You go !!!!
Whether You meant it to or not that really does say it all with the "us and them"  :(

That really not fair - I hadn't though of it in those terms before it was mentioned here! Shame on you!

But Angie read what You have put !!

You have said that when you see a post from a non rescue person you think "I have visions of someone with a few cats, no doubt a spare room somewhere, who, if they really wanted to help could take a cat in (even if temporarily)"

Why do you automatically think that.... ?

and then you continue to you that when you read from a rescue person you think "someone who might recognise a serious problem (dealing with URGENTS all day long and trying to sort out those that really are), someone whose place is not only FULL of cats but overfull as they try to squeeze the last emergency in to the detriment of themselves and their own family (human and animal)"

Sorry am i alone here ?
Can nobody else say how this comes across

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2009, 15:18:21 PM »
I am not going to reply to any pms either.

What I can say is...no I cant foster I dont have the space I also have 6 cats of my own plus my 8 rabbits, and 2 kids under 5- they take up all of my time to look after.

I never have and never will ask a rescue for help with vets bills for any cats I take in, Ela has offered me free neutering vouchers numerous times which I have turned down.

And no I dont believe all rescues are the same, just because I have had a bad experiance with one.
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2009, 14:58:07 PM »
Hi Hunnies

Sorry  :hug: i am going to ask to avoid this turning into a us and them situation.

I don't think we are are we? It doesn't exist - anyone who has ever helped is part of the 'rescue' - if its taking a cat in , donating money or time.

I have to say this is the most worrying thing for me to have ever heard about on Purrs  "rescue v cat lover"  It's not why i started Purrs, a community where we all work together to help cats in need, and if this starts, i will have to seriously consider Purrs's future.  :hug:

Purrs does a brilliant job at helping cats in need. But part of its attraction for me is being able to disagree about important subjects and debate things openly and honestly.
People do not like being told what to do with their cats (rightly so!) and part of the joy about a good debate is that people on both sides of the argument have the opportunity to change their opinion.

If Purrs ever became one of those forums that you could only post 'well done' and' :hug:' then it would ( IMHO !  :-[) be time to consider the future!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2009, 14:55:28 PM »
Angie Im going to ignore your last post, Im not arguing anymore.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2009, 14:51:47 PM »
Yes Mark thats true also some people just cant bear to look at them...at all!

Personially I feel if they are posted here there is a feeling that someone may be able to help, there are hundreds of members here that come from all over the country- its possible someone can help the cat in need  :)

After all where are these cats FTGH going to end up? on the streets most likely which will then be a case for rescue anyway.

I think we all need to pull together on this one, its the people who continuisly breed that need something doing about.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2009, 14:49:40 PM »
I was actually advised by a rescue to advertise Oliver on a free ad site last week, which I didnt bother doing!

Thats the point the cats are being posted on there as a last resort, if nobody trys to help what would become of them?

I have stoped looking at the free ads after Saffron, I now realise I cant help everyone  :shy: but it doesnt stop them finding me...in the case of Tia  :shy:

If someone phones me up today and wants to get rid of thier cat "because my boyfriend puppy doesn't like it" or "because the kid is tired of it" 'm sorry I can't help, I have no room and therefore a freead is an option for them - better to try that than immediately dump them which is probably the next step.

I'm sorry to say if you rescued a cat in Coventry I would be able to help in any way other than take it in. If you are kind enough to ease the burden of your local rescues by taking and rehoming a cat then well done you!
unless you do rehome without expecting them to take it in you will certainly have helped the poor cat but not have helped the rescue as they will have their own priority list to work down.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2009, 14:43:45 PM »

I have stoped looking at the free ads after Saffron, I now realise I cant help everyone  :shy: but it doesnt stop them finding me...in the case of Tia  :shy:
I think that is one of the problems. I know Sharon said she has stopped looking at them as there is no way of helping every cat. But then if those very ads get posted on here, maybe some people will feel they can't face looking on here as well (If that makes sense). I don't think anyone thinks one cat is any less deserving than another but it really needs to be cats that are in dire straits rather than a cat or cats need a home. It can only get worse. I never look at freeads but did the other day and was amazed how many were up for £30 or £50. Those very cats & kittens will become FTGH in a matter of time as who is going to pay for a cat when they can get a free one?
I would happily line these BSBs up and put bullets in their heads  >:(

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2009, 14:37:29 PM »
I was actually advised by a rescue to advertise Oliver on a free ad site last week, which I didnt bother doing!

Thats the point the cats are being posted on there as a last resort, if nobody trys to help what would become of them?

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2009, 14:29:58 PM »
I think the only thing on this thread that actually bothers me is the fact that these "Free Ad" type cats are surely potential strays/unloved and not looked after, maybe poorly in the same sense that any other cat with needs can be.... I gather that before most of these cats are advertised the owners (whatever) have tried local rescues (who are full) thus finding their way to these sites as they have no other option! These are the cats I worry about!!!  :( :hug: :hug:

Each and all do a wonderful job on here!  ;) :Luv: :hug:

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2009, 14:22:15 PM »
Yes Tan I know- I was meaning that although we sometimes try to help, we can be looked down on by rescues as adding more pressure, this had certainly been the case with me over Saffron, not directed to anyone here at all  :)

Sometimes if we cant help fully by working in rescue, by doing our own little bit-possibly helping out a couple of cats at a time then I feel Im doing something to help the cats  :)

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2009, 14:16:32 PM »
I think the people who we should be angry with here are the people that continue to breed although rescues are full to bursting, not other animal lovers on here!

We do our best to help if and when we can, I know I couldn't just "walk" past a cat in need-it usually ends up in my home!

I currently have one in that I fear may be pregnant, but I will not ask for rescue help as I was treated unfairly the last time with Saffron- I was looked upon like I was the one dumping her, although my only intentions were to get her to a safe haven then rehome her. The rescue treated the situation differently and I feel I was looked down on by doing good for this cat, although this cat was only handed over after me spending £150 of my own money and when she had finally been sorted out-surely if I was dumping her I would of done it sooner to save myself the cost!

I just wish rescues would not take the offensive with us "little people" who try to help  :shy:

If you dont have the time means you dont have the time, therefor you wouldn't be able to do it at all. I am planning to get myself into rescue once my kids are full time at school, thats how strongly I feel about it  :)

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2009, 14:08:18 PM »
Hi Hunnies

Sorry  :hug: i am going to ask to avoid this turning into a us and them situation. It really sadens me to see this and is not what Purrs is here for.  Sometimes it is best if you are feeling upset or in a vulnerable position it is best not to post at that time on sensitive thread as if there is someone with a differnet opinion/view it can really upset you more.  :hug:

Sarah i tottally agree with your post ....
I don't think there will ever be a resolution to this issue and as individuals we all have generally different points of view on everything and we need to understand and consider those prior to posting and be mindful of what we do post, something I have said many times in the past.   Something posted in innocence, such as Angie's comment re rescue and non rescue members, as we can see has been taken personally and hurtful by Michelle though it is a basic founding of the purrs board itself.  It doesn't mean that 1 member is better than another or cannot help.... it acts purely to identify those of us in an organisation of rescue.

The only thing that matters and should be considered important is that as members of purrs we work together to help as many puddies as we can which I believe was the founding principle for Purrs and it does this very very well.  As individuals we will never all agree 100% on each and every matter but we should respect each others opinions and points of view and re-read our posts and write with sensitivity to other members.

I can see everyone's points of views in this topic and really don't think it will reach a conclusion where everyone agrees .... sometimes we just have to accept each others opinions and agree to disagree?????   :hug:   :hug:   :scared:

The greenie membership is to identify the rescue organisations. All members are caring in my eyes and i hope that is the same for everyone.  It is the reason we do not have a "karma" facility here as i would not like any member to feel lower than another.  You all make Purrs what it is and you are a huge marvelous part of it.  It would not exist without you all.  :hug:

I esp agree Sarah with this -
The only thing that matters and should be considered important is that as members of purrs we work together to help as many puddies as we can which I believe was the founding principle for Purrs and it does this very very well.  As individuals we will never all agree 100% on each and every matter but we should respect each others opinions and points of view and re-read our posts and write with sensitivity to other members.

CC noone is saying that single people not in a full rescue can not care and help cats just as well on an individual basis. This is not what this discussion is about and i certainly do not want "I look after cats better than you" scenario to start.

I have to say this is the most worrying thing for me to have ever heard about on Purrs  "rescue v cat lover"  It's not why i started Purrs, a community where we all work together to help cats in need, and if this starts, i will have to seriously consider Purrs's future.  :hug:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2009, 13:46:15 PM »

And honestly Angie I dont think Michelle needs this today  :shy:

what i have done to offend her? If Michelle is offended by my comments she can PM me and I will apologise. This is NOT a personal attack on anyone so please do try to make it into one.

Fair enough you work in an organised rescue but what about us peeps who take in the odd stray cats and help them, they have not had to go to rescue so not adding pressure to them. Just because we do it on a lesser scale does not mean our help means nothing...it means something to the cat at the time  :)

and to these people I am in admiration and will always offer to help anyone who does this locally. I am not dissing anyone here - after all us 'organised rescues' are very often one man bands.

And yes if I had the time I would work in rescue! 

And what make you think I have the time?  :briggin:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 13:49:45 PM by Angie (covcats) »

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #104 on: August 23, 2009, 13:38:56 PM »
I dont really think you have to be in rescue to have your heart broken by furries, my heart is breaking over Oliver at the moment

And honestly Angie I dont think Michelle needs this today  :shy:

Fair enough you work in an organised rescue but what about us peeps who take in the odd stray cats and help them, they have not had to go to rescue so not adding pressure to them. Just because we do it on a lesser scale does not mean our help means nothing...it means something to the cat at the time  :)

And yes if I had the time I would work in rescue! 

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #103 on: August 23, 2009, 13:28:57 PM »
If you want a happy life.. don't get into rescue. :'(

very very very true Angie!  :)  lol 

and the other problem is its even harder to stop >:( :briggin:

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #102 on: August 23, 2009, 13:28:16 PM »

very very very true Angie!  :)  lol 

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #101 on: August 23, 2009, 13:26:34 PM »
I don't think there will ever be a resolution to this issue and as individuals we all have generally different points of view on everything and we need to understand and consider those prior to posting and be mindful of what we do post, something I have said many times in the past.   Something posted in innocence, such as Angie's comment re rescue and non rescue members, as we can see has been taken personally and hurtful by Michelle though it is a basic founding of the purrs board itself.  It doesn't mean that 1 member is better than another or cannot help.... it acts purely to identfiy those of us in an organisation of rescue.

The only thing that matters and should be considered important is that as members of purrs we work together to help as many puddies as we can which I believe was the founding principle for Purrs and it does this very very well.  As indiviuals we will never all agree 100% on each and every matter but we should respect each others opinions and points of view and re-read our posts and write with sensitivity to other members.

I can see everyone's points of views in this topic and really don't think it will reach a conclusion where everyone agrees .... sometimes we just have to accept each others opinons and agree to disagree?????   :hug:   :hug:   :scared:

Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #100 on: August 23, 2009, 13:23:46 PM »

I realise that everyone is not trying intentionally to put the burden on rescue's for each of the cases posted but I think what you will find is that WE put the pressure on OURSELVES

Very true. We perpetuate it by helping in these cases as well - how many of these posts have been resolved by existing rescuers and how many by someone stepping up? It certainly makes me feel under pressure to step in and help when I see these posts.
Even not reading the thread, just seeing the title "URGENT,....." raises my stress levels nowadays!

Link to CatChat