Author Topic: renamed - 5 kittens + mum from industrial estate a few weeks ago.  (Read 6719 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: renamed - 5 kittens + mum from industrial estate a few weeks ago.
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2008, 18:15:54 PM »
Mum is being spayed tomorrow - Caroline will drop her off in the morning and I will collect her in the afternoon.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2008, 09:37:03 AM »
I think you lot on here are Wonderful. :yayyy:  Top Banana.
Well done for another family of furries saved - I wish I did not work full time so I could help out.
xxx
Tabby reminds me of my Lucy - beautiful - And black / black & white cats are lovely - I re-homed a bacl and white (Tibby) and he was older too.  Well Done All.xx
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2008, 19:44:39 PM »
After an email from Caroline, it sounds like these 2 little black ones could be my next bathroom guests!  :wow: She thinks I've got a midas touch with fiesty kitties - little does she know all I've got is a set of welders gauntlets and endless optimism.  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2008, 15:15:04 PM »
I love them too  :Luv2:

It doesn't help that the 2 black ones are not 100% friendly - yet  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2008, 14:01:38 PM »
I love blacks, don't understand why they are so unpopular???

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
renamed - 5 kittens + mum from industrial estate a few weeks ago.
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2008, 13:27:11 PM »
Well mum is being rehomed with one of the tabbies and the fluffy is going with with the other tabby so we are left with (surprise, surprise) the 2 black ones - I took them for 1st vacs this morning. The black boy has a hernia which the vet said may heal by itself -  but otherwise, it will be sorted when he is neutered.

The vet was most disappointed as he wanted to keep one of the tabbies - he said his girlfriend got a kitten so he wanted one as well  :evillaugh: - I told him the black ones were available but he declined to comment  :tired:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 13:33:13 PM by Mark »

Offline BigPaws (Rae&Missa)

• Adult Cat
Re: RSPCA Rant
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2008, 08:01:39 AM »
They are not all the same, im sure.  Reading back through my post it does rather read that I was tarring all RSPCAs with the same brush which was not my intention as I have only had dealings with this one branch and the staff that work(ed) there.

will happily help out local rescues, which is good, and what it should be about.

Absoloutly agreed 100%   :)

Rae
COME BACK MADDIE CAT, MELISSA IS WAITING FOR YOU

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 22:54:03 PM »
Very good post PB, and not all RSPCA branches are the same, same with CP. I wont support my local RSPCA due to their FIV+ policy, but will happily support the rescues one, and they did allow us a stall on one of their fundraisers last year, they will happily help out local rescues, which is good, and what it should be about.
Please spay your cat

Offline BigPaws (Rae&Missa)

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 12:26:42 PM »
An excellent post Pinkbear.

I used to help out at the RSPCA on my weekends 20 years ago and seeing how they helped then was why, when I wanted to adopt an animal several years later, I went to see them.

When I arrived I explained that I was interested in adopting either a cat, dog or even one of each!.  I was led through to the kennels and, after 2 hours (because I wanted all of them)  I was chosen by a rottie cross and a 10 year old cat.  Both were perfect because the dog liked cats and the cat liked dogs.  I filled in the forms and handed them in for checking and to arrange the home visit.  The exceptionally helpful lady suddenly looked at me with disgust and said "oh no, definately no!"

"You expect us to rehome animals to someone that owns a public house- sorry we would not allow any animal to be placed in such an environment"   

I was really upset, it wasnt just a pub it was an old coaching inn with over half an acre field and a flat that was seperate from the pub with its own roof garden as well.  There was an old stable block and although it wasnt in the middle of the countryside it was walled and right near to a nature reserve.

I tried to explain but was told it was the new policy of the manager. 

I was so upset and it played on my mind so much that a few weeks later I called to ask what had become of the animals I had wanted to adopt and was told by a young new member of staff (even though she did say that she shouldnt really divulge information) that the cat had been PTS as it was old and no pne had come forward suitable to adopt him and the dog had been rehomed to a "local" person.

Amazingly and totally by coincidence one day in the pub we were discussing the shelter and it turned out that this "local" person was a customer that frequented the pub- he lived in a block of flats on the estate about a mile away and worked full time.  Weekends he never left my pub.

Since that day I have lost all faith in the RSPCA and it makes me sad.

Sorry to ramble- I just wanted to share my experience. 

Hope everyone is well today.

Rae
xxx

COME BACK MADDIE CAT, MELISSA IS WAITING FOR YOU

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 10:04:49 AM »
Good post Pinkbear

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I find myself often pondering the problem of the RSPCA, but can't get past the initial problem. They have been so good at PR recently, if anyone were to stand up in public and criticise them, all that would happen is that that person would be seen as not caring about the plight of defenceless animals.

However, it will happen one day that the RSPCA will dish out their standard response of apathy and shirking to the wrong person. A complaint to the public broadcast authorities claiming that the BBC series Animals 24/7 is not an acurate portrail of the work of the RSPCA, would give the perfect platform for all these little stories we have tucked away about what they're really like. Of course, the big worry is that if the RSPCA's take of public cash donation dissapeared, so would entirely all the limited good they do - and we have to admit that on a smaller scale than they claim, they DO help with some things.

I also have to say, they never used to be like this, you know, and I remember 20-30 years ago when the RSPCA as we know it was in real danger of going under. They were trying to be all things to all people and nearly bancrupted themselves. The newspapers and TV were alive with financial scandals about the silly ways they had got themselves into trouble - grants of huge money to build hedgie under-passes that were ill designed and proved to be constantly under water, that kind of thing. It was after this time in their history, the accountants took over and yes, the RSPCA is now certainly sound financially, but they aren't the same reliable champions they once were. I don't think it IS possible for them to change and become what we'd like them to be because once again, they'll end up in the finanicial doo-doo without a snorkel - their scope of work is too vast and resources would be gone in a flash.

So I guess the RSPCA are a devil we are better off knowing than seeing sinking without a trace, as I'm not convinced the money they recieve from the public would go elsewhere to animal welfare in this country - it might well end up in places like WWF (a noble cause but not much help if you happen to be a homeless dog or cat in the UK).

What really worries me, though, is not the likes to the RSPCA but Blue Cross and PDSA. They are nowhere near as well known by the public as they once were, yet do vital work for people and pets in need. If we lost them, it would be a real tragedy for our pets.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »
That seems to be their standard response. Surely they must realise that they don't just disappear (unless it's under the wheels of a lorry  :( ) and that they just add to the breeding problem  :(. We had a lady last year that phoned them as she was concerned about a heavily pregnant cat hanging around her garden - this was when we had really heavy storms. She was told "cats fend for themselves" - she insisted so they said if she sent them a donation, they would send her a paper collar  :-: - after a week, she called us and we took the cat straight away and she gave birth safely at the cattery  :)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 07:51:19 AM by Mark »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 07:48:40 AM »
Someone rang me last night and asked if I could help a stray. He said he had rung another charity earlier in the day and they had informed him that if he took it there it would be PTS.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 07:46:58 AM »
RSPCA once told a client of mine to stop feeding a stray and it would go away

Sadly I hear that almost every day.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 07:37:34 AM »
RSPCA once told a client of mine to stop feeding a stray and it would go away

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2008, 23:35:22 PM »
She's absolutely adorable! The spitting image of my bridge babe Tigger, and if I thought I had room I'd be over like a shot!  :wow: I'm just a sucker for big soppy tabbies.  :naughty: :briggin:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 22:49:34 PM »

Thank goodness for the lovely man

He was  :naughty:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2008, 21:26:11 PM »
What a gorgeous cat, poor thing, Again cannot believe the RSPCA >:(

Thank goodness for the lovely man

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2008, 17:05:14 PM »
We called this mum Bronte (sorry i nicked the name for somewhere) but it doesnt really suit her but i am sure its better then cat!
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2008, 16:08:44 PM »
Well by the time I got there 5 minutes later than planned, they were already in a cage. It all happened so quick. I got a photo of mum but forgot to do kits  :shy:

No more pigeons and rats for this lot  :Luv2:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 16:19:38 PM by Mark »

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 14:18:28 PM »
You guys in cat rescue deserve medals, thats all I can say.

I feel rather detatched on the canine side of things fortunately(!) and when I go to our centres I don't want to rehome any dogs but as soon as I see the cats I want to take them all, it breaks my heart.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
OK - I just got a call from the man (Russell) He managed to catch mum and all 5 kittens. They are in the back of his van and I am meeting him at our great vets - Animal House at 11.45. He needs a hand as he has a baby with him and he is worried about escapees (mum especially). Then I will collect MiaMia and take her to the Siamese rescue in Bromley  :)

apparently, 2 black, 1 tabby, 1 b/w long hair and 1 b/w short hair. He wants to keep the tabby if his wife agrees.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:45:18 AM by Mark »

Offline JillE

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2008, 00:56:34 AM »
What are we going to do about it then. I have lost count of how many times someone has told me the RSPCA said don't feed them or put them outside to fend for themselves, the latter to a lady who rang to say a cat had walked in her front door on a terrible stormy night, with 6 kittens in tow.
Even if they have no compassion, surly they can see a potential 4 female cats back out in the wild?
No, because they don't want to see, like Vets Now they have their heads firmly up their :censored:.
However it will remain like that until people are made aware and the powres that be in the RSPCA are made accountable. Surely it goes against their well publisized charter to leave an animal in distress without means of food and drink. We should be able to get them on that.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 19:39:00 PM »
Unfortunately, CP gets tarred with the same brush, even though we operate with volunteers and no funding from HO. The man I spoke to today was was that we would PTS the cat and her kittens   :( - He was also worried about giving me his address in case we send him a bill (chance would be a fine thing  :evillaugh: )

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 19:29:06 PM »
its high time the public actually realised what... or rather what little they actually do and stopped giving them all their money and realised that it us small rescues that do all the hard work... they just want the glory cases!

until that changes.... nothing will.   but I think it will be a while before we see any major shift, if ever!
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 14:24:29 PM »
It was the same with the dejavus - the rspca told the woman to stop feeding mum cat - I do wish they wouldn't say that but I suppose you can understand why they do...in they mind

ie if you feed you are accepting responsibility for the cat. If you don't want the cat it will move on somewhere until it finds someone who will feed it (or starve of course!) and therefore take responsibility.

oh yeah - its also passing the buck.... >:( until some small rescue with no spaces and no funding manages to squeeze the poor mite(s) in.

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 14:16:57 PM »
Well done for making space  :Luv2:, but I'm here if you need me.  Isn't it amazing that the RSPCA has all these millions tucked away but never seem to be able to find space when it is needed but us small little rescues always manage to go the extra mile with no extra funds. :censored:
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

• Super Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 14:13:35 PM »
Mark i meant the Whit Times.

We can now take these in as we are paying for a cattery place until another pen comes free.. But this is now are limit we are now officially closed! We still have 2 cats as the vets waiting for a space, Bailey and Milo...

But we have had to prioritise
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 13:52:23 PM »
The cats are in Sittingbourne, Kent (Medway) although the man lives in Canterbury. He works nights. He is working tonight but not again until Monday. He said he could go in on Saturday and do some work if that was any help. He is willing to help with transport to this area but wonder how he would feel about driving to Hampshire?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 13:56:40 PM by Mark »

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 13:50:00 PM »
I have one pen free, if you want me to help and we can do a transport run, though can't do anything until the weekend.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 13:44:13 PM »
What area are they in Mark?  I can put a plea out if you want to see if anyone can help.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 13:42:30 PM »
The Gazette is sponsoring thr RSPCA this year so doubt they will do much. Not so popular but what about the Whitstable Times?

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 13:36:28 PM »
Bredhurst is full.. We are trying to do alot of jumping through hoops to see what we can do for these ones... We are now overwhelmed with kittens and nothing being rehomed.. I have just called our local gazette to see if they can do some PR for us next week to help out as there is still loads of kittens for sale in the papers so someone is buying them..

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 13:13:55 PM »
my friend found a stray kitten in the engine of her car while staying with her mum, her mum had a big dog which would happily have taken the kitten in one gulp - rspca said "oh well if the dog eats the kitten you won't have a problem will you"

Luckily my friend is a very kind person and after not being able to find the owner took Pebbles home to a life of great luxury

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 13:10:57 PM »
same old story Mark... lost count of the number of times I've heard the public told that from good old RSPCA / SSPCA
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
renamed - 5 kittens + mum from industrial estate a few weeks ago.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 13:00:19 PM »
I had a call to ring someone back about a cat and 5 x 5 week old kittens at his workplace. When I called back, he told me where he worked and I said it was way out of our area and had he tried any local rescues. He said he phoned the local RSPCA and they told him to ignore them and not feed them and eventually they will go away  >:(
He said the mum seems like she was probably driven somewhere and dumped for being pregnant  :'(
The man quite rightly said in a few months, they will start breeding and the problem will get much worse. He said if we can't help him, all he can do is release them in a wood where they won't get run over as they are on an industrial estate at the moment with lorries etc around and they would be safer. Sharon is trying to get a nearer branch to help or see what we can do. Watch this space -  :censored:  :bum: PCA  >:(

He said she cries for food - luckily he has a heart  :Luv2:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 13:27:51 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat