Cat Health & Behaviour > For FIV & FELV babes

FELV Positive with ELISA Test now Negative with IFA Test

<< < (2/2)

Sue P (Paddysmum):
Hello Siami - welcome to Purrs, although very sorry it's at such an anxious time for you. :welcome:

Apologies, but I know little about this.  Am sure that other members will be along who can shed some light on it for you.  We have members who are knowledgeable in this regard who may be able to advice.  I know there is a lot of concern over false positives and false negatives, so fully understand your need for reassurance.

Where are you Siami?  Are you in the UK or elsewhere?  I understand different areas have different views on testing and the processes involved, so it may be helpful to know your general location.

Saying hi to Charlie too  :welcome:

siami:

30 days ago Charlie had a faint positive result on the vet's in-house ELISA test and on Tuesday the vet took some more blood while Charlie was being castrated and sent it off to a lab for the IFA test. This came back negative. After whooping for joy, I researched some more and found it was a bit early to celebrate as the second result could be a false negative. I can't let Charlie mix with my other cats until I am as near 100% sure as it's possible to be.

If I've understood correctly and the ELISA test shows the virus in the blood and the IFA test shows the virus in the bone marrow, should I have the ELISA test re-done now to hopefully confirm Charlie is clear?
Thanks in advance for any advice.  My vet can't help as she seems to know very little on this subject.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version