Author Topic: Is all of the lily poisonous to cats?  (Read 2675 times)

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
Re: Is all of the lily poisonous to cats?
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 13:38:15 PM »
Thank you so much Maryas!!

We're all SOOOO thrilled to have won the prize draw - it's so fantastic and we're going through a dificult time here at the moment, so every penny helps!

I'm also feeling a lot better so thank you :-) I kept the lillies in the kitchen which was fine, but the pollen went everywhere!

J xxx
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 22:47:58 PM »
Fantastic to see the Adel CP has won the Purrs Save a Life Prize Draw this evening - this will cheer you up miore than the lillies.  :rofl:

Well done.

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline nutzy

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 22:12:32 PM »
I was ill recently and my darling hubby bought me a bouquet which contained lilies.  I did think of removing the lilies and just displaying the other flowers, but Rajah is a prolific flower/plant devourer and I wasn't taking any chances, even though i had them originally on the mantle.  Anyway, they eventually ended up in my office, which was better actually, because I spend 90% of my time at work. :(
Pam

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 19:17:57 PM »
It's such a shame that one beautiful thing could harm another beautiful thing.

Sorry to hear you've been ill for so long - hope you're on the mend.

Mary  :hug:   :summer flowers: :summer flowers:
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 18:30:28 PM »
Yeah every part of the flower is dangerous. They are my favourite flowers and while I don't ever buy them for myself, sometimes they get bought for me and when they are, I just put them where the cats can't go- which is VERY high and on a rimmed tray so any leaves or petals that fall off then fall on the tray.
I'm sure they will be beautiful in your kitchen though :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 12:41:35 PM »
I bought them for years without realising. I always used to cut the stamens off.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:35:07 PM »
Eeek!

Im not going to throw them, but they can go in the kitchen pronto! It has a sliding door which she can't open so no worries there! I probably shouldn't worry though as she hasn't moved from in front of the fire for about 3 days  :evillaugh:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 12:31:16 PM »
It is all dangerous!

I heard of someone whose cat died after brushing against the leaves - I would bin them pronto.

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/lilies.html

« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 12:33:43 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:22:42 PM »
I dont think its the whole lily but I would be wary of cutting the stamen's out as Im sure the pollen could easily go everywhere! I would put them in the kitchen just to be on the safe side!  ;)

Hope your feeling better soon!  :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
Is all of the lily poisonous to cats?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »
I've been sent a HGE bunch of lillies by colleagues at work as i've been off sick for 2 months and I know that the pollen is deathly to cats, but whist they're closed up are they OK to have around Katie? Also when they flower, would it be ok to cut out the stamen so that there's no pollen around?

I'd hate to have to put them in the kitchen (the only room she's not allowed in) but of course whatevers best for her is my main priority!

:thanks:

Link to CatChat