Author Topic: Highly strung cat  (Read 1646 times)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Re: Highly strung cat
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 13:54:01 PM »
Thanks everyone  :thanks:  I fear you might be right Helen about Bella not liking having RR dabbed on - although we already have it in the house for me (I'm highly strung too  :evillaugh:) and she's seemed quite interested in the smell of it, so I can only try.  Thanks Mark for those suggestions - I'll have a look and let you know how we get on.  Bella is now officially speaking to me again - I have two big scratches on my shoulder where she decided to lovingly nibble me in the middle of the night  :doh:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 08:08:52 AM »
You could ask your vet about this new treatment. It is drug free and made from an extract from bovine milk. I know Leanne tried it on her cat, Jess and is getting results. It is on trial at the moment but I'm sure other vets could request it.

http://www.orsco.com/
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13451.0.html

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13877.0.html

Edit - See Zylkene on offer at VetUK thread - saw this after I posted. Maybe worth a shot?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:55:22 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Sheli_80

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to Henry and Charley
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 01:19:42 AM »
We tried rescue remedy with Henry when he arrived and I'd recommend putting it in something smelly, Henry hated the smell so much he refuses to drink from the bowl we drugged even months later. However it worked a treat when we rubbed it in his ears but as Helen said he might not like it if he hates frontline.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 22:45:38 PM »
I've used the RR with LuLu who can get easily freaked out by the silliest things, the dosage is two small drops rubbed into the ears or 4 drops in water....  http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=kr3t653e7nu74idnr6ii8jdjb2&topic=9929.0

I saw a definite improvement with the RR, the only downside was that he didn't really like the liquid on his ears so for bella it might be just as traumatic as being frontlined.  Maybe you could put a few drops on a chunk of catfood/blob of tuna?

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 22:39:26 PM »
Yep, I should have mentioned before - this is how she behaves WITH a Feliway diffuser in use  :Crazy:  I'm scared to unplug it!  :scared:

Would be interested if anyone knows how much RR to give, and how ....

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 20:56:33 PM »
May be a Program injection - lasts for 6 months and only results in 2 visits to the vet per year and one of those is for a booster

This works for us as it means the ferals have forgotten the cardio vascular exercise required by us to get them in the box during a single 6 month period!
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline koscha (Ruth M)

• Hero Cat
  • Meowmy to Kelirehenna, Rincewind & Zeratul
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 19:51:21 PM »
Have you got any Feliway?

I use the spray personally, my boys are clingy kitties and get a bit stressed, though not half as bad as your Bella- I'ts heartbreaking to see them like that isn't it?  :(

Other swear by the diffusers, they apparently over a 50-70sq ft. radius. Best price i've seen is with vet uk. if you follow the links on this thread:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,13923.0.html The rescue centre gets 5% of your order total as a donation  ;D

Have to say that I haven't tried RR on cats yet, though it is something I will bear in mind for my clan as i've used it myself to good effect!

Offline Kirst

• Moderating Staff
  • Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Beavis , Jerry , Gizmo , Stevie and Fredcat
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 19:17:06 PM »
Im sure Ive read on here you can give cats rescue remedy - I am sure someone will confirm this. If you can , maybe a few drops 1/2 and hour before frontline time might chill her out?

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
Highly strung cat
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 18:46:30 PM »
I had a real drama trying to put Frontline on Bella yesterday.  The other two don't like being Frontlined either but are pretty much resigned to it and have worked out that if they just stay still and let me do it, then they're free to go.  Bella reacted terribly yesterday - as soon as she saw the tube, she started shaking and crying and ended up so upset that she was foaming at the mouth with all her fur standing on end.  It took 20 minutes to actually put the stuff on, and then it took her the rest of the day to forgive me - she shook and cried every time I went near her yesterday evening, which felt awful.

She's always been highly strung and was actually returned to CP by one owner before I adopted her because she was too "full on."  Everything she does is exaggerated - we can't just have a cuddle, she's literally all over you and trying to climb inside your clothes, and every play fight she has with the other two cats ends with her wailing like a banshee even though she isn't hurt and knows it's a game - "full on" doesn't really cover it!  I'm dreading the next dose of Frontline as this is the worst I've seen her, so it only seems to get worse as she gets older - she was 3 in March.  It's no good getting the vet to do it either as she attacks the staff when we go there, and one nurse has refused to deal with her, while there are notes on her records telling all staff to wear gloves and protective goggles before they handle her.  She is a lovely, affectionate pet and has never attacked me or anyone outside of the vets, and I love her to bits but do wish she could be a bit calmer!  Any tips?  :Crazy:

Link to CatChat