Author Topic: Taming Feral Kittens  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Re: Taming Feral Kittens
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 11:52:17 AM »
They've both been handled a bit before I got them so it's just a matter of getting them settled in and handling them a bit more.

Once they get used to being around us I'm going to put them in the library to let them run around as it's the safest room since they can't get behind anything in there.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »
ITs sounding promising, i hope you do really well with them.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 03:47:43 AM »
If they're in the open and not behind furniture, that's an extremely good sign.

The basic ingredient in gaining the trust of feral cats is TIME. Don't pose any kind of threat to them. Offer food, and a litter tray near to where they hide, and leave them alone. It can take weeks/months, but they'll come round when they feel safe. If you approach them, try to touch them, or try to force the taming in any way, they'll see this as frightening and you'll be set back in the domestication process.

It took me six months to gain Polly's trust. One day, of her own accord, she jumped onto my lap. I didn't make a big fuss of the event, just let her sit on me. She would have cringed if I'd tried to stroke her; so I waited until she nudged me.

She quivered behind furniture for ages.

I don't think you'll have such a long process, especially if they're watching tv with you!  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 21:21:18 PM »
They came today.

One is black&white and quite fluffy the other is smaller and just about all black.

Very sweet, they've not hissed at me but they won't come near. I put some food in for them and water. They're watching Hyde with us at the moment.

We'll they're watching us watching Hyde.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 21:35:10 PM »
With the taming down, it all depends on the kittens.  I've had some in at 12 weeks that have never tamed down but I've had older ones in that have.  If they are used to seeing people and being fed on a regular basis, you've got a better chance of getting through to them.  I've had some that have been like babies the first couple of days.......Fluff Ball was a feral and no one would have believed it, she was so soft and used to just flop on her back for a fuss, and yet Annie, I've had for a couple of years, had her at 12 weeks and will only just about take food from my fingers.  Some days it may seem like 2 steps forward and the following day, 3 steps back but just be patient and everything will be fine  ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 21:21:52 PM »
Good luck with the fostering, and I am sure you can tame them down, 12 weeks is young enough - you might want to do a search on here for Shadow, you might find some tips on there, I did end up cuddling her the day after she came, cos she was crying so much, but it isn't recommended on most guides. The Messybeast article is one of the best I have read.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 20:56:31 PM »
Due to the weather I'll be getting them tomorrow as the person bringing them didn't want to track mud into my house :)

Just means another day to prepare.

They'll be in my living room, in a cage (no idea how big till I see it). They've had a bit of handling just need someone to carry on and show them that being cuddled is a good thing.

I bought some treats and fish to tempt the kittens. And I'll be getting my husband a gift for letting me do this, so fostering could cost me a fortune.

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 20:29:59 PM »
I would have thought that just giving them food would be enough to build up trust. I don't think I'd be able to withhold food - it was bad enough starving mine before they went to be neutered!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 20:25:52 PM »
 :-[   :doh:   i havent read it in a while, i wouldnt withhold food either.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 20:10:04 PM »
I'm not into the method used regarding food.......you can still tame them down using treats and coaxing them, I've never withheld food so they have to come to me and I've tamed down loads.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 19:57:36 PM »
Have you seen this article? Sets it out clearly. http://www.cat77.org.uk/articles/feral3.htm

Food is your secret weapon!  ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 18:03:52 PM »
You certainly have taken on quite a job there. Might they be better off at a local farm perhaps ?

Ferals of that age should tame down fairly easily so why should they miss the opportunity of having a loving home  ;)  The easiest way to tame the down is to get a folding dog pen, make sure it's large enough for a bed, litter tray, food and toys.  At least this way they are in one place and eventually they will view the cage as their security.  Take things slowly with them and use favourite food as a tempter.......initially depending on how wild they are, you will probably get hissed at and scratched but all this should subside in a few days.  Talk quietly to them and try not to be tempted to touch unless they come to you.  If you manage to obtain a cage, it would be worth part covering it for a few days just until they settle down. 

They will probably want to sleep by day out of sight and come out to `hunt' for food at night time. They will also get very stressed out if you have other pets

Not necessarily, if they are true feral then yes this would be the case but you find most ferals are "semi wild" and will come out in the day time as well, most of the ferals I get in are trapped in the day and only the odd one at night.  As far as pets, most ferals will be fantastic with other cats........they are used to being in large colonies and thrive in each others company.  Mine spend most of the time headbutting each other and they are a pleasure to watch so don't assume, they are stressed out by other pets.  Chris who has recently adopted Oscar and Charlie was saying yesterday that they'd been looking after someone's dog.........Oscar and Charlie have been fantastic with him and both of these are feral babes  ;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 18:23:25 PM by Dawn (DiddyDawn) »

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 17:15:56 PM »
yes you need to think like a cat. A big no no is looking at them directly. The only animals that look at others directly in th eeye is another predator. Thats exactly how the kittens will view you if you look at them. Use your peripheral vision.
Make sure they have somewhere they can hide that gives them a degree of protection or they will get very stressed out. The last thing they will want is to be touched or handled.
They will probably want to sleep by day out of sight and come out to `hunt' for food at night time. They will also get very stressed out if you have other pets or noisy children in the house .
You certainly have taken on quite a job there. Might they be better off at a local farm perhaps ?

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 16:50:33 PM »
The main thing is to get them to trust you, so "ignoring" them as much as possible might help. Try not to pick them up unless there's a reward at the end of it. To start with this means food, but eventually hugs too!

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Taming Feral Kittens
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 16:17:17 PM »
I should be getting two 12 week old feral kittens to foster tonight. After a trip to the supermarket and a phone call describing where we live ;)

They are hissing and hiding at the moment so we’ve got to get them used to being handled as well as used to human noises.

Any advice? I’ve printed about 30 pages of advice (thanks to google) but I thought I’d better ask here as well.

Link to CatChat