Author Topic: Ambiance  (Read 1182 times)

Dark Moon

Re: Ambiance
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 14:24:13 PM »
Oh hey Bazsmum - you know as well as I do (a) there are no such things as general rules, we only think there are, and (b) even we realize that the only purpose of rules is for them to be broken!

It all started with me when I used to be a dedicated Mother (years ago). Tried to give each cat their own bowl (or at least every 2 cats....) I have a small kitchen.. so the overflow ended up... Noticed that the overflow always liked theirs better - and that the kitchen cats wanted those bowls too. Almost all of that is the old "the other cat has something better than I do" thing... but.........

I also noticed way, way, way back in the long, long, ever-so long ago that Muff routinely picked up the food from her bowl and (growling all the way) took it to the livingroom. There to be mushed into the rug and then happily eaten. Doubtless a reflection of their 'hunting' heritage. Cats just aren't meant to eat straight from bowls!

The latest is, of course, Winston. When I almost lost him this Fall - I finally got him to eat by plopping bits of food on my bed (me in it (the bed, not the food ! :rofl:) and him on it (same bed). When that didn't work, I plopped some of it on me - and then he ate. As I don't much enjoy being covered with cat food, I gradually moved it off me and onto the bed - and he continued to eat (and I did lots and lots of laundry). And ultimately we got back to eating... well, he still isn't much - though he'll eat in here (my study) and on the porch (picnic!). And now - well, we have all slowed our eating (likely because it is no longer needed as things are finally warming up!) but even so.... I just hate buying food and having it go to waste so when they go on strike down here, I simply take the same bowl upstairs and just like that it vanishes! (the food in the bowl. Not the bowl!  :rofl:)

Sorry. Having a silly morning...........  Spring, don't ya know.......

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 14:04:09 PM »
LOL, that's striking a cord with me.  Lily likes me to hold her food bowl while she eats.  I'm only compliant cos she's got a massive buster collar on and I feel sorry for her.  I've raised the bowls off the floor so she can reach them, but still won't touch her wet food until I hold it for her.  

It's true, I am her slave.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 14:02:56 PM »
I had have a general rule...keep the food in the kitchen....but then I remember Teddie upstairs and Pippa in the living room, now Blackie is a good boy and will stay in the kitchen, the other's like to be fed from the kitchen to the living room and the dog just keeps hoping I'll forget he is there!  :Crazy:

Dark Moon

Ambiance
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 13:51:27 PM »
Ambiance is everything, it seems.

Why is it that food which is so foul, disgusting and awful as to not even dare be touched by whisker tips, let alone tasted, suddenly become interesting when moved into the adjoining room, and positively delicious when moved upstairs.

It has nothing to do with the room. Other foods seem quite delicious in there. But then there are others.......

Well, I guess I understand. A gourmet meal might not taste as wonderful in a fast food joint as it does in a several star restaurant (not that I've ever been....)  And it can be a useful trick to use when trying to coax a reluctant eater or sick baby into eating.

So, not so much 'what are you lot having for tea', but where do yours (i.e. kitties - though human preferences are welcomed too) like theirs?

And - oh - I haven't even mentioned the porch. But then I understand that. Picnics are always wonderful and being outside makes most things taste better!

Link to CatChat