Author Topic: A bit worried about my baby Capone  (Read 1885 times)

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
Re: A bit worried about my baby Capone
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2009, 14:41:59 PM »
I didn't feed him wet this morning for his first meal - he had to make do with the dry bisquits. Then fed him around 1pm, half pouch of wet - so far it's stayed down!! I am suspecting wet food on an empty tummy is too rich for him.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2009, 11:00:16 AM »
Chloe occasionally does something similar.  She eats her breakfast (quite fast) and then wants to go onto the balcony for a drink of cold water. 

She gulps that down, rushes back in to see if she has missed anything indoors, burps and ..... back comes the brekkie  :sick: :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 10:15:32 AM »
Awww, poor Capone.  Hope it is just a matter of eating too quickly  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline 2d

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 10:08:48 AM »
It could just be eating too quickly - one of ours sometimes does that, and then it comes straight back up within minutes.

Or maybe there's something in the food that doesn't agree with him?  Have you tried different types?  Does he do it if you give him a bit of plain chicken, or similar?  (A friend's cat is allergic to wet food you see - a developed intolerance - upsets her tummy.)

You mention him drinking - is that just cos he's eating more dry food to compensate, or has he always drunk lots?  Has the amount he's drinking increased at all?  An unexplained increase could be a warning that something else is going on.

If it were me I'd probably be off to the vet to check it out, if only to put my mind at rest.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:40:31 AM »
Poor boy  :(

I'd be tempted to ask the vet, some cats are just more sicky than others Byron is but Schui never is, however it could be a furball - my neighbour paid a fortune for tests for her cat and it all turned out it was a huuuge furball.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 09:41:42 AM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »
Poor Capone hope it's just cos he is eating too quickly.  See how goes with the smaller portions and if still being sick maybe a vet visit to check?  :hug:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 23:50:29 PM »
Poor Capone. :( Hope you figure out what's happening soon.

Have you emailed Nicky asking if anything like that was an issue when he was being fostered?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 23:41:37 PM »
Could it be a furballl? - is he having grass or Katalax?
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 23:29:12 PM »
Yes that is true. Thanks for the advise. I thought giving him 1/3 of a pouch was small amount enough, but maybe I should give him even smaller servings. Also - this applies to all types of wet food (Felix, Whiskas and Hi Life) ... so it's not just one kind, which I originally thought it was.

Bless my baby - what a sensitive tummy.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 23:25:49 PM »
You could try giving him a tiny amount, and then 15-30 mins later give him a bit more, and so on until he's had about half a pouch.    if he doesnt' vomit, it implies the problem is in the way he is eating rather than the food itself, but if he does then it may be that he's developed a sensitivity to something in the food.

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 23:16:12 PM »
We tried putting his bowls higher up (on a small platform type thing) and seemed to improve for the time being. I have to add, that it mainly happens in the morning - his first meal. It very rarely happens during day/evening. Maybe he scoffs it too quickly on an empty stomach? It's hard to tell whether he is eating too quickly, as he seems to eat in the same speed as Jameson. (although Jameson really had a belly of steel from all the mice/birds he ate on a daily basis)

I haven't tried giving him just a teaspoon, or starving him for 24 hours. Could try that I guess. Maybe I should try feeding him dry only as his first meal, and then wet later on?

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 23:11:05 PM »
What happens when you give him a tiny amount?  like a teaspoon?

It seems odd if he was ok with it when he first came to you, but has a problem now.  Eating too quickly could be a reason.

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 23:09:28 PM »
Does he gulp his food down fast or eat normal, i know sometimes  some of mine do that, eat too fast and then throw up,altho not every day must admit,could you try starving him for 24 hrs and then feed him a little bit of chicken and see what happens. :hug: :hug:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

Offline tigerbaby

• Super Cat
A bit worried about my baby Capone
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 22:48:35 PM »
I'm not sure whether I should be worried or not, but Capone throws up the smallest amount of (wet) food. Pretty much every serving this week (from half a pouch, to 1/3 of a pouch) has come back up again. When we first got him I used to give him 1 pouch in morning, and 1 pouch in evening and as far as I remember it stayed down. He definitely has thrown up way more in the past week. He also drinks quite a lot. His poo/wee in the tray seems normal though, and he is his usual self apart from that. Happy, playful and affectionate - he doesn't seem ill in any way.

Is there reason to worry anyway?!

Link to CatChat