Author Topic: Wobbly, unsteady !!!  (Read 9489 times)

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
Re: Wobbly, unsteady !!!
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2006, 09:33:40 AM »
When i manage to get my camera working again i will get some pics ..he looks really well his coat is all shiny and his eyes are bright
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2006, 14:11:57 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Mister is responding well to treatment and perking up so quickly. Wrecking his toys sounds like a good sign!

:Luv:

I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2006, 11:52:22 AM »
She has replied and said that with his age he will prob adapt quite quickly to it. He is sounding fine, and I am so glad he got to play with his toys.
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2006, 22:07:10 PM »
Funny because i was talking to someone in the pub and they said the same thing !!!!

Does make me worry I will see how he goes have to admit he seems so much better today ...got his new cat tunnel and manaed to break it in about 2 seconds flat lol ...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2006, 10:01:24 AM »
Crikey, one of the replies I got off the other forum that they didn't think Type 1 could occur in cats, so this must be quite rare. Fingers crossed when he stabilises the drinking will tail off. I am glad he is taking it in his stride though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2006, 20:27:49 PM »
Hi guys sorry i have not been on line suddenly realised i had lots of xmas wrapping to do ..phew made it now though and glad to say that Mister is fine he has type 1 diabetes and have to inject him now he seems to be taking it all in his stride and is still a little wobbly I have to go back to the vets in a week or so to make sure that he is okay.

Re his age I did find out that normally a cat is more likely to to develop the condition in later life but this can happen, he drinks all the time constantly so no way i am sure that he could be dehydrated although the vets would have checked for that, they did also check for kidney damage but there was no problems there.

Anway i gave him one of his presents early he and yumi have been playing lazy lets lie on our backs and play with the ball ..

Thanks to everyone for all your help i dont know what i would do without this place :)

Offline Amy

• Adult Cat
  • Minty & Toffee
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2006, 16:44:51 PM »
Only just seen this thread Lisa, sorry to hear about Mister.
So is it confirmed to be diabetes now?
How is he today?
Minty and Toffee send gentle head butts andlots of purrs!!

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2006, 14:59:11 PM »
Any update on Mister, Lisa?
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2006, 17:02:14 PM »
I suppose he's not a little dehydrated is he ? with all the peeing he may be. have you tried giving him  just a  little bit of  ham or tinned fish in light brine like tuna, salmon or pilchards or sardines ?
My cat used to lick the walls in my cottage to get the salt from the plaster. Most farm animals and birds are given a salt lick or access to salt but we are so salt phobic these days I doubt there is any at all in cat food. Sodium and Potassium is essential for just about every function in the body. We soon know all about it if we get low (I'm not talking table salt here ) ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2006, 15:49:08 PM »
I am diabetic too Des groannnnnnnnnnnnn. But my wobblyness is caused by my ear  well brain problem now  :rofl: Technically I am balanced now but brain doesnt understand that.

Yes reckon if he is badly diabetic then he could be wobbly

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2006, 11:59:38 AM »
Off to the vets later today he seems to have picked up well and has even eaten although not much but has worried me as he keeps licking the cat mat and i worry about his kidneys now ....must stop searching things on the internet !!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2006, 07:41:19 AM »
Gill, diabetes can cause the wobbliness that Mister has had, as well as some of the other things like him occasionally wetting himself. The vet will be able to say more when the bloods are back, as the urine test isn't the most accurate for diabetes.
Please spay your cat

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2006, 04:17:01 AM »

Gill thats what I said. Maybe i didnt come across very clearly.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2006, 02:45:11 AM »
Just to correct what Chunky said in humans type 2 with too high blood suger is treated either by diet or by tablets, only type 1 is treated with insulin.

Sorry I have only just caught up with this thread and am so sorry to hear that Mister is not well again. Your vet sounds like he is doing all the tests but am just wondering about the ears cos a virus that can cause these probs in humans can not been seen, not even on MRI scan........I know  cos I am one! Also virus cannot be treated with anti biotics cos it burns itsself out, and in my case it caused damage in the ears which needed a special treatment.

I do hope that the reason for Misters wobblyness can be resolved quickly, cos it does sound a bit like he is dizzy or disoriented with him falling like that and an MRI scan would show and probs in the brain, which it sounds like it didnt which is great.

keeping my fingers crossed for Mister and you and hope this is solved really quick.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2006, 01:56:17 AM »
Glad Mister is back home, I'm sure you will cope just fine with his diabetes.  You're a great cat Mum  :)

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 23:30:45 PM »
Diabetes in humans can either happen early in life or later which is caused mature onset diabetes.

There are 2 types in humans. Insulin dependent diabetes (type 1) or non insulin diabetes (type 2)

type 1 requires regular insulin injections to maintain normal blood glucose levels as the body is no longer producing insulin. Type 2 can be diet controlled in mild cases and sometimes medications are needed to help boost the body's produvtion of insulin.

the 2 problems in diabetes are hyperglycaemia (blood glucose is too high) and hypoglycaemia (blood glucose is too low)

When these 2 conditions occur in humans, the symptoms are the same. The person starts to get confused and agitated and as it progresses, they can become listless and then become unconscious.

With hyperglycaemia (too high) the symtoms are treated by giving insulin

With hypoglycaemia (too low) this requires prompt attention and the person needs to be given glucose in some form quickly.

If the person has got to the stage of unconsciousness in a hyperglycaemic attak (too high) they will eventually improve becuase the blood glucose levels will drop and when they are within normal limits the person will recover.

If they are unconscious in a hypoglycaemic attack (too low) this can be fatal because the blood glucose level continues to fall and not return to normal limits without prompt treatment.

I am not sure if this is the same in cats but hope that it may be of some use.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2006, 23:33:00 PM by cheekee_munkee »

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 21:29:38 PM »
oh I am so glad he is back. The best health care in the world is a cuddle from his mum. He'll pick up now he's home. He'll also get some sleep and rest after his scary stay in the vets  :-:
I shouldn't worry too much just yet because it may well turn out to be the mild variety of diabetes which will probably just require a change in diet and careful monitoring. Lots of animals and humans have a mild form of diabetes without realising it.

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 21:27:29 PM »
I'm glad Mister's home. Overwhelmed is normal in my book, but I reckon you should begin to see the way forward tomorrow.

More  :hug:

Keep us posted  :Luv:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 21:08:29 PM »
Hi everyone have Mister back he is a little wobbly still and very reserved, vets has told me a few things he still has to have some other results back on his bloods but will have them back friday.

I am still a little overwhelmed by everything so now i have one asthmatic cat and one diabetic ..god help me !

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 20:00:08 PM »
I don't know much about diabetes but I'm guessing your vet will have talked it all through with you by now - plus there are several people on here who will be better placed to advise. I do know that a friend of mine had a diabetic cat, Skruffe who, with careful management, lived a normal life.

Please let us know...

:hug:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2006, 16:47:13 PM »
Apparently the vet has said that his urine sample was not quite right and suspects he may have diabetes ..although wants to see my tonight as it was only vet nurse i spoke to..

Is it right that he would have this at such a young age i am really confused although at least i have some idea what is wrong is this dangerous in cats does anyone now..?

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2006, 15:03:36 PM »
Just to let you know I am thinking of you and Mister and waiting to hear what the vet thinks

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2006, 15:01:05 PM »
They only have Mister in there at the moment he must be lonely...:(

Yes I will let him have my jumper if he has to stay again tonight although i hope not ..

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 14:57:40 PM »
Thats very thoughtfull . bet all the other cats are jealous lol.
Put a little perfume on your inner wrist and rub it into his blanket so that he can smell you when you are gone . Its really  important that he can smell you I hope he is home with you very soom then you can cuddle him lots  :)

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2006, 14:54:20 PM »
Poor Mister, everything crossed that it is nothing serious and he's home with you soon  :hug:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2006, 14:51:18 PM »
Thanks Nick, he has his favourite mouse in with him and a little blanket that he has...still have not heard from the vets yet :(

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2006, 14:40:28 PM »
ahhh bless I'm sure he is going to be fine He is in good hands. Has he got an old used T shirt of yours in his cage ?  if you have one with your `scent' on it it will reassure him and comfort him lots.
 :)

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2006, 09:58:42 AM »
Vets has done several checks and can tell me that there is nothing wrong with eyes, heart he is still at the vets and did have a bit of an upset tummy but this could be the medicine that they gave him still dont know what is wrong they have checked for damage to limbs or tail i will ask if they have checked his spine though they did let him out of his cage so i could cuddle him and he purred really loudly i am not sure if this is a good or bad thing though he looked so wide eyed :(

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 17:36:15 PM »
is there any chance he could have been in an accident and damaged his back or tail ? sometimes problems with the spine or nerves can cause both these symptoms together.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 16:23:30 PM »
Poor little Mister  :'(  Really hope they can find out what's wrong and that it's easily fixable. 

Get well soon Mister  :Luv:

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2006, 12:39:21 PM »
Just phoned the vets and he has been given mri scan and blood test, urine sample he has been standing up trying to get out as well which is good and is on a drip.

He is not even a year old yet ( will be 1 in feb) he did have really bad flu when he was younger ...he wont eat anything though which is not like him, the vet is being really good and rushing the results through although not sure if that is a good or  bad thing  :scared:

He did wet his bed the other day but has always had wee problems which could have been a sign that perhaps something was wrong as he was always fine and never had any infections or anything..Yumi was crying this morning so she must know somethig was wrong with her little man :(

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2006, 12:21:03 PM »
Hi Lisa,

I'm with everyone else here in hoping that everything goes well for your little Mister and that his unsteadiness has not been caused by anything really serious.

Will the vets be carrying out bloodwork on him?  How old is your little guy? Does he have any other symptoms?

I shall keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Fingers crossed for the little chap.

Lots of love to you both :Luv:

Roz

You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 11:37:56 AM »
I hope everythings ok
((((((((((())))))))
love
Tab

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 10:26:04 AM »
Lisa, it could be caused by any one of a number of things and I hope it turns out to be something that can be speedily put right. Fingers crossed for Mister - let us know what the vet says.

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 10:07:26 AM »
Cross fingers it's something really inocuous like a middle ear infection - causes dizziness and loss of balance but easily cured with antibiotics. BIG  :hug: :hug: :hug: to you both, let us know what happens.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 09:53:19 AM »
I was due to take him back on Friday but took him back this morning after he fell from the top of his cat tree :(

He is staying at the vets as they want to do some tests on him I am so worried and can not believe that this is happening :(

cheekee_munkee

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 00:07:06 AM »
Could possibly be due to a sprain or a flare up or some arthritic condition he may have due to cold weather.

I would see how it goes for a week or so and if there is no improvement seek a second opinion.

The only other thing I can think of is that the ataxia is due to some neurological problem but I feel this is unlikely in this case.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 16:28:42 PM »
If Mister were my cat I would go to another vet for a second opinion, far better than you sit worrying.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
Wobbly, unsteady !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 15:05:54 PM »
Not sure if i am over reacting but i have noticed that Mister seems to be stumbling lately, he struggles to climb the cat tree and often falls over...I have taken him to the vets and he has said that there is nothing wrong but he does seem to wobble almost and jumping is a problem :( ...do you think i should get anotjer opinion from another vet or just seem how things go ?

Link to CatChat