Author Topic: advise on grooming a persian  (Read 2494 times)

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
Re: advise on grooming a persian
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 19:21:26 PM »
Definitely agree with little and often - for whatever reason, sometimes they are a lot more tolerant than at other times !
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 19:32:22 PM »
thank you for the advise, i will keep trying
persian and pekingese are the best pets ever

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2006, 18:53:51 PM »
I'm a groomer, and I'd advise the metal comb you prob already have, although the one I swear by is quite small, with medium and fine teeth - no handle or anything just a plain metal comb. You can see a pic of it on my website in my profile. As Candyshandy said, comb against the lay of the fur right down to the roots. Any knots, you could try teasing out with your fingers and then combing, the little comb can also be used to tease the knots out too - just use the tip of the end tooth to gently tease through the mat.

If the knots are just underneath - tummy and inside back legs, you could see if theres a good groomer near you who does cats and maybe have the underneath shaved, if thats going to be a problem area, as it won't show - unless like my Persians yours like to lie on their backs!

The best method of keepin coats knot free is bathing and blow drying - it gets rid of all the dead fur (which is what causes the mats - by binding to the still growing fur) in one go - and the best bit - is that you don't need to do hardly any grooming in between baths because they don't knot up - honest it works! I've had persians for 10 yrs now and been grooming other peoples too for 6 yrs. The breeder of some of my Persians showed me how to do it initially.

I've got colourpoints but I find their coats easier to groom than the solid colours - I've got a solid red boy Joe - the namesake for my grooming business Scruffy Joes! and his coat can be quite woolly.

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 18:47:55 PM »
thank you, it would be nice to see what they say

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 18:39:37 PM »
I have a lilacpoint and her fluff is the worst out of the three.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - ermmm that was her!!!!

She goes to the groomers every 10 weeks for a spruce up and to get any knots out that I can't get to.  The groomer advised a plain stainless steel comb (sounds like you have it) and to comb it upwards not along the body.

They are all off to the groomers next week and I'll ask her if she has any tips for you.

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 18:33:20 PM »
He is a boy, red colour point, i have a metal comb with wide teeth and a brush with tiny thin teeth, i try and do him evey day, i tried baby powder and a zoom groom

Offline candyshandy

• Senior Cat
  • Sol, Fabian and Foofoo
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 22:38:10 PM »
My advice would be little and often.  Fabes hates having his tummy done but I find playing with him and givin him a quick comb tends to work.  What comb are you using and what kind of persian are you having the problems with?

Offline Reynard

• Super Cat
  • Pearl & Poppy
    • Post 14 Digital Motorsport Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 21:33:13 PM »
Maybe your boy doesn't like the kind of brush or comb that you are using because it is pulling on his skin. It might be worth trying one of those rubber zoom groom things on him as it collects lots of loose hair and acts like a massage pad as well. You might also find that drenching his coat with baby powder and then running it through with the zoom groom helps to keep the matts at bay.

Admittedly, some cats just don't like being groomed...

Offline lucy persian

• Adult Cat
advise on grooming a persian
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 20:59:24 PM »
one of my persians hates being groomed, he is getting mates all underneath him, i have managed to cut some out, but this is becoming a nightmare, i end up with scratches all up my arms. please does anyone have any good advise :(

Link to CatChat