Author Topic: FAT CAT ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 7138 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: FAT CAT ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006, 11:12:52 AM »
Nick, hypothyroid is incredibly rare in cats, so i do doubt that would be Lucy's problem, I think the poor thing has just been overfed, and maybe given little exercise. I still have that stuff here Kelly, dont know what you want to do about getting it to you!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 01:58:59 AM »
Hi kelly
Lucy looks a real sweetie. I expect her previous slave spoilt her and its so easy to do . I spoil my Boo Boo ( aka lardass ) and she has gotten huge. Fortunatly she tears about like a mad thing and is super energetic or she would be even bigger.
She has probably been fed Tuna and other tit bits and had constant access to biscuits all day. Its difficult to limit their food because  it tends to drive them next door or up the road where well meaning neigbours  are going to give them  cream and even worse .

I think its important not to feed on demand but feed at certain times like 7am when you get up ad again say 6pm at night then they get used to eating those times and stop demanding food all day and night.

You might want to get her bloods checked at the vets in case Lucy has a defective thyroid  ie Hypoactive which often causes overeating
I wish you luck

Now this is a fat cat

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:02:51 AM by Nick (Peanut & Boo) »

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 22:32:56 PM »
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2006, 11:04:18 AM »
Just checked and pics still seem to be there! Lucy is doing ok - she doesnt seem to be eating lots (maybe because of her change of environment) As for weight loss - I think she has lost a little - I'm concerned shes going to have saggy skin though as her tummy seems saggier now rather than paunchy. The little monkey has taken to wiping her bum on the carpet though because she can't get round to clean it!!!!! Caught her doing it this morning so am going to have to stop that!!!!!

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2006, 15:50:41 PM »
Hi Kelly,

Do you have an update on Lucy for us?
By the way - where have the pictures gone?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2006, 10:02:34 AM »
That's what I thought previously well looked after, maybe a bit too well, killing her with kindness so to speak.
I know that you are probably keeping her in at the moment, but she could do with some exercise, does she move around much?  Do you have any cat teasers?  They are very cheap to buy but if she is not one to chase things around and I would guess not then some good exercise is walking her up and down the stairs.

Please keep us posted on her progress.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2006, 21:01:19 PM »
She's 6 and was being rehomed because her owner was going to look after a sick gentleman who is allergic to cats. She's been well looked after - upto date with vaccs etc - think its just too much love!

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2006, 20:47:15 PM »
Kelly - what do you know of her history?  How old is she?
As well as the other food recommended previously small amounts of chicken might be nice for a treat, not many calories.
good luck
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 08:18:05 AM »
I have Lexy on the Hills light complimented by James WellBeloved Senior/Light dry food. SHe gets about 30-35g a day of the dry food and half a tin of the wet food

Wow she must be cheap to feed lol! When Bilbo has the Hills Light he has to have 110-120grams of it a day or he loses too much weight

LOL, Lottie, she's only little. I know she looks like a monster but when I first got her, the Oral food from Hills she was getting, she was on 60g and then reduced down to 50g cause she wouldnt eat all of it...she's not a hungry cat, that's for sure

Bilbo is just a boy..they always eat more...and want more, and ....oh well it could go on no??  But he's such a scrunchy boy you have to love him :)

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2006, 23:22:21 PM »
Hi Kelly,

One of my guys, Teddy, is on a diet.  He is not a happy Teddy at the moment because he is supposed to be eating Hills r/d (low fat, high bulk) but doesn't care for it at all.  I'm ashamed to reveal that he weighed in at 8.2kg and has to lose 3kg over six months....so half a kilo per month.  We have two-weekly weigh-ins at the vets but have only recently re-commenced our programme after an unavoidable delay of a couple of months. 

Teddy is a big cat but he does love his grub.  He is in good health and is only five years old which is why I think I shrank from sorting his weight probs out for so long.  But, should he develop something nasty, his chances of survival are not so good unless I resolve his weight problem.  So I am being a very bad mummy unless I get disciplined with him....but it's not easy cos he looks at me with his big soft eyes...and I melt.

Teddy has been prescribed 1 and a half tins of this prescription food per day....which is minute!!  However, it is not gonna be a problem keeping him to that amount cos he just plain hates the stuff!!  :P

I have succumbed to giving him his pouches until I can find the time to pop into the vets again...but have tried cutting the amount he eats down to about half (which is still too much) and yes, in a multi-cat household it is really difficult keeping an eye on what is going on because all the others have been used to grazing and are now wondering where the heck their food's disappeared to.... :(

I'll keep ya updated on Teddytubby's progress.

Lots of love to your little? Lucy

Roz

« Last Edit: December 12, 2006, 10:46:48 AM by Roz »
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2006, 23:01:43 PM »

I think this pic shows Lucy in all her glory - bless her!

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2006, 22:28:05 PM »
Cheers for that - she's currently isolated - Archie is turning into a right little begger with Poppy so we're having fun and games at the moment.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2006, 22:20:57 PM »
how did I know that one was coming???? I would ask her previous owners if you can - I personally never let cats out till they have been here at least 6 weeks. It will be easier when you are off work, and you know where I am. Thanks for the text by the way.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2006, 22:18:30 PM »
Well it was rescue's advice to speak to you Des because you've had experience of 'fat cat'!!!!! I don't think Lucy is an outdoor cat to be honest - might be worth checking - give her a few weeks and then let her out. I finish 20th Dec so can do some serious work with her from then.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 22:16:07 PM »
LAser pens are good, and letting Tom have outdoor access was a big help. I forgot to mention earlier that we had to get Tom to lose enough before rehoming. It can be very hard.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 22:12:14 PM »
Fantastic Des cheers. I really don't think I was exaggerating too much on the weight - I look like a small child attempting to carry a fully grown cat if you can imagine that! I will purchase a laser pen - maybe I should buy her a lead and take her for walks!!!! To be fair I'm sure she was well loved - but a little TOO much! I'll check my vets about the weight classes - see what they suggest to help her. I'm gonna have to do some work with her to drop some weight before rehoming is an option - unless a potential owner knows what they're doing.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 22:08:44 PM »
Kelly, I actually have a sample bag or two of Hills R/d - although in saying that, I dont rate it (but it was free) - I dont have any overweight cats here at the mo, so you are welcome to it - and I do still have some Senior/Light JWB - got no fat boys to eat it now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 21:28:26 PM »
I have Lexy on the Hills light complimented by James WellBeloved Senior/Light dry food. SHe gets about 30-35g a day of the dry food and half a tin of the wet food

Wow she must be cheap to feed lol! When Bilbo has the Hills Light he has to have 110-120grams of it a day or he loses too much weight
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 21:09:58 PM »
I have Lexy on the Hills light complimented by James WellBeloved Senior/Light dry food. SHe gets about 30-35g a day of the dry food and half a tin of the wet food which seems to keep her happy. In the last month she's lost about 50g which is pretty good for her size.

Good luck, Kelly, she's a little monster!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 21:01:50 PM »
I tried the Royal Canin indoor cat food but Bilbo always seemed to be starving on it even when I actually fed the right amount for his weight whereas he's never hungry when he has the Hills indoor one.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 20:58:19 PM »
Thanks for that - I'll certainly check out PAH this week. I'm still in complete shock at her size the poor love. She must weigh well over a stone and a half - if not similar to my little boy who is 2 stone!

Wow a 2 stone cat must be huuuuuuge!  :Crazy: :Crazy:

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 20:45:35 PM »
Thanks for that - I'll certainly check out PAH this week. I'm still in complete shock at her size the poor love. She must weigh well over a stone and a half - if not similar to my little boy who is 2 stone!

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 20:01:09 PM »
Bilbo goes mad for the Hills light wet food and prefers it to the 'full fat' version. The Hills Indoor cat food is high in protein (and fibre I think) whilst being low in fat (8.2%) so that might help get some weight off her whilst keeping her feeling full (it's what Bilbo has for his pre show diets). Pets at Home have got 7 cans for the price of 6 on Hills wet food at the mo so a good time for you to stock up! I keep hearing that the laser light toys are good for making cats run around so might be worth investing in one lol  ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 20:01:46 PM by Team Svartalfheim »

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 19:57:48 PM »
My OH is scared she's gonna eat us out of house and home over christmas! We certainly were not expecting a fat cat when we were asked to take her on - she'll be my first proper challenge!

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 19:50:11 PM »
Kelly,

The guideline is 1-2% bodyweight loss per week. You could either get a light cat food or the vets do a prescription food that should help. Maybe feeding her total allowance of food for the day over 3-4 smaller meals might prevent her from feeling hungry if she is used to eating large amounts. Also, as i`m sure you know there is an increased risk of diabetes when a cat is that overweight. I wonder whether it might be worth seeing if the vet would rule that out before you put her on a diet. Good luck with her, i hope her diet goes well!!  :)

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 19:46:35 PM »
Thanks Des - I know its not an easy night for you so appreciate the advice. She really is HUGE - I have never seen a cat this size before!I'll try and isolate Poppy and Archie's feeding and when Lucy gains a bit more trust and comes from under the sofa I'll try and coax her up and down the stairs.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 19:30:03 PM »
you cant reduce their food intake by more than 15% or you are risking health issues, as it is a shock to their system.

Thanks!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 19:28:38 PM »
I cant remember off hand Charlotte, all i Can remember is that you cant reduce their food intake by more than 15% or you are risking health issues, as it is a shock to their system.
Please spay your cat

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 19:22:04 PM »
as you can't afford to let her loose too much weight too soon.

Just out of interest what is an acceptable amount of weight for cats to lose each week/month? Is it a certain % of body weight?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 19:18:52 PM »
Mainly wet food Kelly, and it would be good to see if your vet will do free weight clinics, as you can't afford to let her loose too much weight too soon. IT is never easy in a multi cat household, you could do with not leaving food around for the others, and things like feeding them somewhere they have to exercise to get too (I fed Tom at the top of the stairs), I have a treat ball here that they have to push around to get food out of it. Throwing individual pieces is good, but you would have to be very careful with that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
FAT CAT ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 18:12:35 PM »
Hi all

I've just been to pick up my latest foster direct from the owner. She's called Lucy. She was in her carrier when I collected and her owner said she was a little 'heavy' I got her home opened the carrier and what was waiting for me was NOT a cat - it was a HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The poor girl is gynormous. So, I need to put her on a strict diet which won't be easy with three cats needing feeding in the house. What is the best food to give her?

This pic doesn't really show off her true size! I actually struggle to lift her and I'm not small

Link to CatChat