Author Topic: Thinking of getting a second one! Advice needed please :)  (Read 3566 times)

Offline Rhona

• Adult Cat
Re: Thinking of getting a second one! Advice needed please :)
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 22:58:20 PM »
Hi Deborah,

I don't think there is a right answer.  For nearly 19 years we had one cat & she was very happy.  However, we lost her in the summer and eventually brought a new Furbaby into our life.  We had Maddi for a few weeks, then for whatever reason felt she was a bit lonely & got another kitten to keep her company while we were out all day.  There is approx. 1 month between both of them (both wee girls) & at first Maddi hated Mia (growling, spitting, lashing out) as the house was her territory & she didn't want to share it, but after 3 days she began to accept Mia & after a week they were able to share a room/bed.  They are really wonderful together & I wouldn't change a thing.  As long as you have enough time & energy to give them both love & attention then all 'should' be well!

By the way your wee Mia is an absolute cutie :-)

:smile:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 10:20:46 AM »
Yes I understand and mine were not kittens  ;D

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2006, 13:28:47 PM »
Our ragdoll came with so many issues if it wasn't for her pink slip I think we wouldn't have beleived it.  She now uses the litter tray and has access to the outside world as she tends to get stressed if she can't chase leaves and bring them in!

I have to say in the house she is now a flopsy topsy but outside is like a lot of the ferals if it ain't Mum and Dad run and hide!

Still she is our posh totty and the previous 2 years of issues are now forgotten and we have our dear Minmin! ;)
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2006, 12:46:38 PM »
Thanks for that Gill. I completely understand your concerns, that's why I asked for advice in the first place!  ;D

Yes, Mia seems to be very happy, but I find it a bit sad that she's an only cat. I wanted to get two kittens at the same time when we got her, but my partner never had a pet before, and was a bit worried, so I settled for just one.  Now we're both crazy about her, and we would like to give her a wee brother! I grew up with 3 cats, so I'm used to having more than one running around.

The other thing is that she is only 3 months old, and I was thinking that if I was going to get another one, I might as well do it while she's still a kitten who would surely enjoy a playmate!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 10:48:29 AM »
I am the desenting view cos I think Mia is happy how she is and may not be very happy at another cat around the place. I would question why you wanted another cat and whether it was for your sake or hers.

I have seen the others views and they may be right but after adding two cats to what was a very happy household of two, if I could turn the clock back , I would.

Sorry.

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 22:37:57 PM »
a neurotic ragdoll (our posh totty)?

Hi Liz, your comment of a neurotic ragdoll made me laugh, I thought they were all really laid back. Do you have a pics of her.

Deborah

I would say go for it, I got 2 close together this year, and they are the best of friends. It is the most amazing thing to watch them play and groom each other. I am so glad I got them both.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 15:06:27 PM »
Excellent news :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 09:38:35 AM »
Thanks everyone for your replies!  :thanks:

I've discussed it with my partner again, and we're definitely going to get another one after the year! I'm so excited!! :Luv:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 19:46:03 PM »
Another vote here for going for it!

To try to answer your specific questions:

1 - she seems to be very territorial, she always wants to know what's going on in her house. :rofl: However, she's still a tiny kitten.
          i - are kittens as territorial and unhappy about newcomers as adult cats can be?
          ii - especially if the newcomer in question is also a wee kitten?
so I guess my first question is: how easily do kittens accepts other kittens?

Most cats accept other cats if they're introduced properly.  In the case of kittens it's extremely likely that they will get on.  Mia may be a bit territorial and even at that age there will probably be a bit of hissing but that's normal and I'm sure she'll be delighted to have a playmate once she's got over the initial shock!   Kittens love playing with other kittens so I don't think you'll have a problem so long as you introduce them properly.

2 - she's very demanding in terms of affection: she always wants to be picked up and often complains when she's not the centre of attention. Does it mean she will be very jealous of a new kitten?   She may be a bit jealous but hey - that's why god gave you 2 hands and 2 knees!  :rofl: My Jaffa was always a bit jealous of attention I gave Magpie (his brother) but so long as he got plenty of attention he didn't  mind Magpie getting a few strokes too!  You might even find that the new kitten replaces you in her affections  ;) 

3 - Do you recommand a boy or a girl (my partner wants a boy :rolleyes:)   I don't think it matters as personality is more important but I'd try to find a kitten with a similar energy level.  Some say that males and females get on better than 2 females together, but I'm sure there are plenty of people with more than one female.  I've always had boys and she'd certainly do ok with a male.  But if you fall in love with a female that shouldn't be a problem.  I'd say matching the personality and energy level is more important.

4 - Is there a time when rescues are particularly full of unwanted kittens? I was thinking there might be a few unwanted kittens after christmas  ( >:(  :'() but maybe I'm completely wrong....   Can't answer that one - I think there are kittens available pretty  much all year round, although spring/summer is considered kitten season.  I think you should try to get one as soon as its practical as the younger Mia is when you bring in the new cat the better, imo.  And the more fun she can have growing up with another kit.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 19:28:39 PM »
I would say go for it we added by way of default two feral kittens and a domestic who I rehomed twice but she refused to use her tray and came back and has never missed they are the youngest in our family of 37 and a total joy, Peanut the domestic is a pshyco and is mummys little purrpot on the bed, Boston is a sweet feral who like touching on his terms and Dallas only loves us when we are wearing eau d roast beef!

Still with now 20 ferals, 16 domestics, a neurotic ragdoll (our posh totty) and 2 dogs we never have a dull moment :)

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 18:52:09 PM »
I agree go for it .... I recently brought a 5 month old bolshy little torite into our house and wasn't really sue how it would go with my two 5 year olds who are not know for their tolerance of other cats normally.  However, much to my surprise and delight they have both took to the little one with no trouble at all (I think it's because she is littler than them and therefore no real threat!).

I would recommend having a look at wizzs site on introducing new arivlas to existing kitties and with any luck you will have no problems at all:  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/introducing.html

Looking forward to seeing pics of your existing furbabe and your newbie when he arrives :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 18:05:46 PM »
I say go for it !!!

I think it will be easier to introduce another one  the younger Mia is - so dont leave it too long!

Boy or girl ? It really makes no difference, if they are going to get on they will get on !

The last one i brought into our family was a few months ago (I have 10!) I picked him up, took him home and let him out of the carrier - They were a few hisses, a couple of slaps and that was it.

Good luck x

Offline Déborah

• Adult Cat
Thinking of getting a second one! Advice needed please :)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 17:52:44 PM »
Hiya there everyone!

I have the most beautiful baby in the world. :Luv: Her name is Mia and she is 14 weeks old (we've had her since she was 7 weeks old). We are now considering getting her a wee brother. It won't be right now, after the new year at least, but I want to think about it as much as possible before we take our decision. So, yes, I've got several questions. I know you guys are very resourceful, so I hope you can help  :shy::

1 - she seems to be very territorial, she always wants to know what's going on in her house. :rofl: However, she's still a tiny kitten.
          i - are kittens as territorial and unhappy about newcomers as adult cats can be?
          ii - especially if the newcomer in question is also a wee kitten?
so I guess my first question is: how easily do kittens accepts other kittens?

2 - she's very demanding in terms of affection: she always wants to be picked up and often complains when she's not the centre of attention. Does it mean she will be very jealous of a new kitten?

3 - Do you recommand a boy or a girl (my partner wants a boy :rolleyes:)

4 - Is there a time when rescues are particularly full of unwanted kittens? I was thinking there might be a few unwanted kittens after christmas  ( >:(  :'() but maybe I'm completely wrong....

5 - Is there anything else you think I need to consider?

My absolute priority is that my girl is happy about this. I can't bear thinking of her being jealous or feeling unloved  :'(

Oh dear, am I a complete slave to my cat or what?  :rofl:

here she is:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/Melisande_00/Mia2070.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/Melisande_00/Mia2047.jpg
and that's what she looked like when we first got her:
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p182/Melisande_00/Mia050.jpg

sorry about the long post

:thanks:

Link to CatChat