Author Topic: new rescue cats - help i don't know what i am doing  (Read 2544 times)

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
Re: new rescue cats - help i don't know what i am doing
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 16:01:58 PM »
There is a food you can feed them which is Hills feline ID Recovery, it works very quickly and mine enjoy the taste as well. I was advised by the vet to give it to my 2 kittens when I brought them home in July, and now I have it as a cupboard necessity.

The covering the foods is wanting to protect it from predators so that they can come back for more later, they are telling you to leave it there mum I will be back later for it.

They are too lucky furbabies, to have mum so concerned, don't let the diarrhea go on too long though they can deterirate fast.

Good luck and enjoy them

KayJay

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 13:07:22 PM »
My Charley sometimes tries to bury her food, we've found allsorts on top of the food bowls and had to switch to a non-tip drinking bowl too..

And my Sammy hated being picked up when he was little. It took a long time, but we started by getting him used to stroking, then we'd gently pick him up - but put him down as soon as he struggled. To begin with, that was pretty much instantly, but it gradually took longer and longer before he panicked and before too long he didn't want to be put down at all (in fact he goes up over my should and sits on my back purring now, little monster) :evillaugh:

Don't give up, as Kittybabe says - the first furry headbutt or kiss or paw up the nose in the morning makes it all worthwhile...  :Luv:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline fleur

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 11:54:17 AM »
One of mine does the food burying thing all the time! Every time he eats or drinks, and if he smells something like food: he's even done it with a cloth that was sprayed with Feliway! It's very cute (although I had to switch to one of those non-tip water bowls because he was making a mess!) and I've discovered all sorts of stuff in the bowl - toys, string, a piece of paper that he'd completely covered the bowl with, a pair of pants from a washing pile in the kitchen! Anything that is near risks getting flipped into it but mostly he just does the motions. His brother has started copying him too - he only does it occasionally though! It's very funny.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:14:53 AM »
Welcome to Purrsssssss  :welcome:

So sweet you got Barney a mate to keep him company.

Take your time. Lots of patience with both of them. The Feliway diffuser is great. I have one and it helps keep the peace so to speak.

It can take months sometimes to help a kitten become more confident, but once you get that first little head butt or a purr in your ear when you're sleeping, its so worth it.

You sound like you're doing a good job for a new mum!  Well done and post some piccies!!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:57:50 AM »
kept them off food for 12 hours and they have not been sick after eating the past day or so.  they do however have diarrhea so i have changed  their wet food to see if it helps.
the rscpa doesn't think they have worms.

If the little ones are still loose I think you should ask the RSPCA to authorize a vet check, yes, when cats/kittens moves homes it is a time of stress, but better to be safe than sorry. If you have a cat from Cats Protection some branches give free insurance  for 6 weeks (in the hope that you will continue), this of course would not cover a 'normal' vet visit as you have to pay the first £50 or so. All CP branches must pay for any treatment not covered by insurance for the first 4 weeks.

I Although The RSPCA many have wormed the  wormed the little ones, sometimes initially they are little b :censored:ers to clear, I assume that have advised you when they last had flea and worm treatments and when the next treatments should be due.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 21:42:15 PM »
Hi Sianyb, Fred and Barney and Welcome to purrs.

Firstly I'd like to say congratulations on your new furry family.  You say you are new to cats so I thought you might like to have a look at the following site.  http://wizz-catz.co.uk/behavioural.html   Wizz is an animal behaviourist and her advice and tips are excellent.

If you have any questions about your new furbabes don't hesitte to post a thread and we are always more than willing to pass on our advice, opinions and experiences.

BTW ... looking forward to seeing pics of your babies :)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline sianyb

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 20:59:55 PM »
thank you very much for that, i feel relieved that they are normal and I'm not doing too much wrong!

thanks again x

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 20:10:53 PM »
The scratching/scraping/digging movements round food bowls are basically instinctive efforts to hide their leftovers  :rofl: one of mine does it, I think it's very sweet - if there's any newspaper down anywhere sometimes she will actually cover her food with it, but normally she just kind of shuffles it all around a bit.

I wouldn't pick Barney up at all, for now - lots of treats, lots of friendly talking, lots of 'distance' play (eg things on strings, feathers on the end of a wand and so on), gradually tempt him onto your lap with treats and toys, take it all very slowly and gently. Get him very used to and comfortable with your touch before you try to restrain him at all (which is what picking up is, if you look at it from the kitten's point of view). If they're alone during the day leave the telly or a radio on so there isn't a huge contrast between the silence when you're out and the noise when you come home.

Mine both had diarrhoea for about six days after they came home, I think it's fairly common, as long as they're eating and drinking well I think it'd be a good idea to stick to one sort of food for a bit - in small meals - and just watch to make sure they're not actually poorly in any way. If it doesn't stop after a week or so then it's definitely time to see the vet, ditto if they seem at all unwell.

Well done for taking these little chaps on - I'm sure they'll settle very soon and I hope you enjoy many many years with them.  :)

Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline roxford

• Kitten
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 20:01:34 PM »
Hi!

I didn't know of any forums when I first got my two boys but wish I did. I done most things wrong and learned the hard way! Now I think I'm pretty good with my cat knowledge but that's thanks to everyone on sites such as these!

My two boys sometimes scratch the floor next to their food bowls, I read from a book it means they are not happy with what they have been given and are letting you know this by having a scrape on the floor! When Storm and Sky do it I just laugh and tell them to eat up! They normally do it when I feed them beef as they don't like it as much as chicken!

As for your kittens being a little scared.... My youngest Sky was like that. He is so much more confident now and loves being handled. I just gave them effection all the time and they soon became more confident.

Hope this helps!
Ross

Offline sianyb

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 19:29:07 PM »
i think i will have to soon, just to put my mind at rest if nothing else.
thank you

Offline rach

• Adult Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 19:22:14 PM »
both of my kittens got ill when they moved in with us, had really high temps and flu. Vet said it was down to the stress of moving and settling into a new home.

they are fine now though, so maybe get them checked out by your vet?

Offline sianyb

• Kitten
new rescue cats - help i don't know what i am doing
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 19:10:15 PM »
hello.  i am new to this forum and to cats so please excuse my naivety!

i have just got two,seven month old kittens from the local rspca.  the first a week and a half ago, the second 3 nights ago.

i started with barney who is a very shy cat who at the moment does not like to be stroked and gets extremely distressed if i pick him up (tried it twice!)

barney is settling in and i appreciate this will take sometime particularly with how much of a scaredy cat he is.
one thing he is doing though is pawing on the floor near his food.  kind of dragging his paws around his food bowl...not in it just near it and only when he has just eaten. 
i find this a bit bizzare and i wondered if it was anything anyone had heard of it.

the second cat fred was picked up because i was worried barney was lonely.  fred is more confident and affectionate he likes to be stroked and doesn;t mind a cuddle but still a little nervous which is to be expected.

fred and barney were sick the day after fred arrived. now they both have diarrhea.

i kept them off food for 12 hours and they have not been sick after eating the past day or so.  they do however have diarrhea so i have changed  their wet food to see if it helps.
the rscpa doesnt think they have worms.

in an attempt to make them feel better i got a cat pheromone diffuser today- anyone have an experience with these.

i know i must give them time, attention and their own space but if anyone could give me any advice on the above I'd be very grateful.

thank you!

Link to CatChat