Author Topic: My friends cat.  (Read 2917 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: My friends cat.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2006, 08:53:16 AM »
Whatever her fiance says she'll go along with to avoid an argument.

That does not bode well for the future, If she were my daughter I would be worried, very worried. If she does not learn to stick up to him now, her whole life will be to live as he wants.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2006, 07:54:16 AM »
  I will definately show her that video but with the cat being an indoor cat she probably still won't see any reason to do anything about it as he won't be in contact with my females. 
An entire cat in search of a female can become a great escape artist.  Chances are he'll get out at least once.  And if he's left entire and not allowed to mate he'll feel very frustrated which is rather cruel, imo.

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
  • oscar and tobey's mummy.
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2006, 02:49:39 AM »
Whatever her fiance says she'll go along with to avoid an argument.  It hasn't stopped me butting my nose in and telling him to stop acting like an idiot and think of the cat in all this.  It's like talking to a brick wall.  I will definately show her that video but with the cat being an indoor cat she probably still won't see any reason to do anything about it as he won't be in contact with my females.  :(  Although when I mentioned to her a few weeks ago about him having kittens she seems rather excited by that idea but the question comes.. would she be willing to take all those kittens in and look after them?  I doubt it, she told me she doesn't want anymore than one.
It might be a long shot but she has expressed a massive desire to have a baby for the past 3 years, which her fiance has told her will not be happening for many years to come (they are 20 years old so I do see his point) so possibly Sash is the baby she so badly wants and getting him neutered, to her, is a form to maiming him?  I mean, you wouldn't cut an actual childs balls off.  Ach, I am too into psychology for my own good sometimes but it could explain things?
Anyway I will show her the video, give all your advice and see what she says but I am not holding my breath that it will change anything.  For me, who has been around cats since I was born, I find it all a bit upsetting that they just refuse to think about the cats best interests concerning this.
 :'(

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2006, 18:49:07 PM »
Gee,   :'( they should show that film regularly on TV.
You could suggest to your freind that she gets her fella to take Sash to the vets next time he needs to go for a routine visit, jabs etc. and she could secretly have a word with the vet to give her boyfreind the third degree on all the reasons for neutering. It would have more impact coming from the vet   ;)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2006, 10:08:41 AM »
I knew i shouldnt have watched that film ! :'( :'( :'(

As for your friend Joann, you can only try and make them see sense.
I have come across so many people like this (mainly men) who feel it is wrong to remove the male parts!!
Its not only with cats but with dogs too - my friend refusses to have her dog done, feels its not right!!! Not only is she putting him at risk of Cancer but the bloody thing "humps" everyone that comes into the house.

I agree with Lynn, can your friend not just get him done ?
She could always say that the vet says he has a problem with his "nuts" and they need to come off for health reasons!

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 09:45:31 AM »
What a disturbing film..........  :'(
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 08:40:35 AM »
Well Susanne if that does not make someone have a pet neutered/spayed they must be as had as nails.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 08:36:37 AM »
I would advise your friend that many of the cats killed on the road are unneutered toms FIV (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus) & FeLV ( Feline Leukaemia) is rife; it is passed on from cat to cat by contact, usually sexual or fighting. Also remember when a female is in season she can come into contact with a number of unneutered toms. Only one has to be infected to infect her, her kittens and any tom that may come along afterPlease don’t put your cat at risk. It is NOT necessary for a cat to have a litter of kittens before it’s spayed, indeed all Vets would agree that it is of no benefit to a cat at all.  It is just as important for indoor cats to be neutered/spayed as it helps to eradicate many forms of cancer, e.g. Breast, Ovarian, enlargement of the prostate[Uterine and Testicular, also [/font]  and related infectionsfemale cats are also safer from mammary tumours and will not get pyometria a life threatening disease, both are more common than you may think. Very recently one of our volunteers took a young  female to be spayed for a family who could not be bothered, fortunately for the little one it saved its life as its womb was full of infection and would have suffered greatly within the next couple of weeks and most certainly died. MANY CATS LIVES HAVE  BEEN  SAVED WHEN A VET NOTICED SOMETHING WRONG  WITH  A CAT THAT WOULD HAVE REMAINED UNNOTICED UNTIL IT WAS TOO LATE HAD THE CAT NOT GONE FOR A NEUTER/SPAY.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 08:37:58 AM by Ela »

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 08:33:24 AM »
Show her (or more importantly him) this video about what happens when people don't neuter their pets

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

(warning - contains upsetting images)

Although I suspect that when the cat starts spraying indoors he'll be down to the vets pretty quiickly!

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 07:56:25 AM »
They are also at risk of testicular and prostrate cancer, and I bet the aggression would stop when his hormones are sorted. She is very lucky he hasn't started spraying yet.
Please spay your cat

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 00:28:27 AM »
Thanks for all the advice.  To be honest the cat gets spoilt rotten like most cats do but my friends problem is she won't stand up to her fiance.  Sash, the cat, is really lovable when he isn't clawing and scratching.  I haven't seen him in a few weeks and apparently he had fleas.  Another reason why I haven't seen him.  The thought of fleas freak me out.  My friend managed to get rid of them but her fiance, well he isn't exactly the clean type.  He wears the same clothes, he also doesn't shower much and has greasy hair down to his backside.  He didn't really do much to help the flea situation and it took her longer to get rid of them.  Sash is in no way neglected, they both love him and take very good care of him but I just want to bang their heads together about the neutering but I would seriously get more sense talking to a wall.
However I shall pass this information on to her and maybe, just maybe, I can persuade her to at least consider it.  I know that when Sash has destroyed their £2000 leather couch (which he is on his way to doing) they'll regret it.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 21:50:45 PM »
What a complete idiot this guy sounds and afraid if peeps are gonna have cats they have to behave responsibly for all the reasons that Becca has given.

This cat stands a very good chance of dying an horrific death either by a RTA or from catching a fatal illness, if they truely want to have a cat they must nueter and I expect with the dumb attitude of the boyfriend thay wil probably just dump the poor cat once he starts spraying.

I think you should put over very forcefully to your friend that if she loves the cat then she must look after it properly and if she doesnt want to do this it needs to be found another home now.

I hope they have loads of money cos if this cat is not nuetered it could cost them a fortune not only in vet bills but also in new house furnishings including carpets. I bet they dont have cat insurance either!

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 21:49:06 PM »
He'll also be freindly and more of a lap-cat and a mummy's boy wh=ithout all those hormones racing through his systems.

Not too mention all the unwanted kittens he might end up farthering.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 19:47:53 PM »
Tell her he'll start spraying all over her stuff soon and it will reeeeeeeeek  :sick: - although frankly with that kind of attitude maybe she'd just dump him when he starts - and mind you he WILL start, sooner or later.

Or he'll go wandering miles looking for a girlfriend and get hit by a car. If she's lucky he'll drag himself home and cost her thousands in vet bills. If she's not she'll never see him again.

Or he'll get into a huge bustup with another tomcat and either be injured or hurt the other guy. Hopefully again it'll only be vet bills for draining abcesses and stitching wounds and not on-going treatment for FIV, FeLV or FIP.

Or maybe through her negligence her tomcat will by some good fortune escape injury himself, and merely be the cause of hundreds or thousands of extra unwanted kittens coming into a world that already has far more cats than good homes.

People that love their pets get them neutered. She'll just LOVE it if you say it to her but it's the truth. He'll be calmer, friendlier, happier and SAFER.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline JoAnn

• Adult Cat
My friends cat.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 19:07:34 PM »
This is about my friends cat.  He is about 9 months old, he can very destructive and plays very roughly.  I have been scratched sooo many times by him that I don't actually go to the flat anymore.  The thing is she hasn't had a cat before and seems to be a bit clueless.  Don't get me wrong she loves him to bits and doesn't harm him in anyway.  The main problem is she point blank refuses to have him neutered.  Her fiance (who I admit I am not very fond of) told me 'no boy of mine will be ball-less!'  I don't know much about male cats as I have only had females cats, all of which have had the operation at the appropriate age.  I would like some advice to pass onto her about problems she'll have if she doesn't get this done.  I find it all a bit stupid that they won't consider the operation because he'll no longer be a 'man'.  :-:  So please, any advice would be great.

Link to CatChat