Author Topic: cat spraying and anti-depressants  (Read 4707 times)

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
Re: cat spraying and anti-depressants
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2006, 15:02:33 PM »
 :hug:
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2006, 12:38:50 PM »
Hi em

thank you so much for your lovely message.  I'd have preferred storm to be on a natural alternative but have used feliway and natural remedies in the past that have not worked.  I'll keep you all informed of his progress.

thanks again
suzanne

Offline Em

• Distinguished Cat
  • Mollie dog, Charley, Sammy and Seth
    • my blog
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2006, 10:05:42 AM »
suzanne

At the end of the day, it sounds like you really love your cats and are trying to the the best for them. I'm in a similar boat - my cats pee (everywhere!) for many complex reasons and I'm tackling the reasons one at a time - it's gradually getting better now. I personally prefer to use a combination of Feliway and Bach rescue remedies to help them calm down, but that's my choice and it's partly because my cats are really cr@p at taking tablets and also I'd have to treat all 3, which I can't afford.

We've solved the problem of other cats coming in by getting a small dog who runs out through the cat flap and shouts a lot at trespassers- we wanted one anyway and the cats love having her around now. She even intervenes when the cats fight among themselves, which is really really cute!

I could never rehome my particular cats just because they pee, but that's partly because I'm confident that the psychology behnd it is solvable without going that far -  and I don't think anyone can make a judgement on the behaviour of other people's cats without meeting them and seeing them in the flesh. I personally prefer not to use drugs but I know it can help and that it doesn't have to be a long term thing, so I wish you all the best and hope Storm settles down soon. :hug:

Finally - Please don't stay away just because some people have different opinions to you. That's what forums are all about, it's good to have a debate about these things and it gives more inexperienced people a chance to see all sides of the argument. There will always be people who disagree but at least on Purrs they do it fairly politely and respectfully without the name-calling that I've seen elsewhere.
Ah, summer - the season for a daily mouse...

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 00:51:31 AM »
hi everyone

many thanks for all your replies.  I wasn't going to post again because so many of you are against what I have decided to do but thought I would as you have all been so kind to ask me! I returned to the vets and was told that although the drug (can't remember the name of it now) wasn't something specifically for cats my vet had used it before in cats with spraying problems and it had worked.  side effects were same sort of things we'd probably see if we took a headache pill, drowziness, dry mouth, diarreah.  I started him on them only 2 days ago and have noticed no change in his behaviour as yet, but I guess they will take a week or two to kick in.

i know he is not a very happy cat but I don't believe it is to do with his brother.  They do fight but mostly it is through play and only a few times when they are obviously having a real row!  They both have their own beds but will curl up together in the same one from time to time so I don't think they hate each other!  Storm is a troubled cat but never used to be.  I think something has scared him in the past outside, maybe another cat ( he got beat up once) or some noisy neighbours (one with a roaring engine that frightens him) have scared him.  the vet thinks his spraying is perhaps out of habit now and just in his routine.  he still has troubles with his litter tray but since keeping him in he has used it a couple of times but only a tiny amount, the rest he seems to save for the rest of the kitchen...

hope all this makes sense, getting tired now so probably just rambling!

Please don't think badly of me, if I really thought my cats were not happy together I truly would find a home for one of them I just hope this might work.  The vet said to keep him on them until he starts using his tray properly and stops the spraying. 

suzanne

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2006, 19:34:56 PM »
hi all,

Have to go with the anti drug side I'm afraid. It just doesn't sit quite right with me. If a personality clash is causing the stress, then surely drugging them up can't be the answer? A five month kitten came to live with us and my two other cats. She was with us 18 months and tried everything, but in the end had to rehome her - it was an agonising decision as I'm very much an 'it's for life committment' type but I had to look at what was best for everyone. She was so stressed she had scabs where she was rubbing her head and scent marking, and my boy was spraying all over. the other female was subdued too. After seeing the vet with these problems and discussing them, she suggested putting them all on tranquilisers. I couldn't do it - I didn't feel it was the right answer. The little one went to a new home and is much happier, all scabs gone and much more relaxed - the change in atmosphere in my house too was unbelievable. It was really sad but the best thing for all of them - you have to do what's best for the cats - and I still keep in touch with the little ones new owners.

I hope you're doing ok anyway Suzynick - all the best, and hope you find the right answer for you and your puss cats

Su

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2006, 08:44:19 AM »
I do hope that something can be done, i know i get the odd spraying when we have visitors as they get quite stressed but nothing that i can't put up with.

I do understand how hard it must be but have to agree that right now there quality of of life is greatly reduced and to be rehomed is possbly the best option.
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2006, 00:26:31 AM »
I'm not an expert on the use of antidepressants on cats so don't plan to comment in that respect.  However when it comes to people there are many cases where prozac and other antidepressants have successfully been used as part of the treatment for a range of mental illnesses.  Unfortunately its the bad stories we hear about.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 11:47:39 AM »
Just seen this comment a few mins after looking at the web cam where we are going next week and it now looks right although until a couple of days ago there was no snow.

Back home to Aberdeen for just over 3 weeks. There will def be snow up there lol. Was sooo sweet last year to see Bilbo's reaction to the first snow he'd ever seen. He loves his walks in snowy forests ;D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 11:48:51 AM by Team Svartalfheim »
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »
only 1 week until I can play in the snow

Just seen this comment a few mins after looking at the web cam where we are going next week and it now looks right although until a couple of days ago there was no snow.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
Sometimes I am afraid one has to put the cat before our own feelings. 

Exactly, far better to treat the cause than the symptoms.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2006, 10:57:27 AM »
To me, it is kinder to rehome than put them on drugs.

I have to agree as if the problem is not a medical  there has to be an underlying reason, so why try to mask that with anti depressants knowing full well that possibly in an environment where it was the only pet all would be well. Sometimes I am afraid one has to put the cat before our own feelings. 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:58:11 AM by Ela »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:26:24 AM »
I personally wouldn't use anti-depressants either. The rescues vet wanted to put Tom on hormone tablets for his spraying, but I didn't like that, and as soon as he was homed as an only cat, he had no issues. To me, it is kinder to rehome than put them on drugs.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 23:26:35 PM »
Hi Suzynick

What did the vet say today?

Have to say this is the 1st I've heard of Prozac being used for cats but did a quick surf on internet and it doesn't seem to be that uncommon in extreme cases.  I would be very nervous about using it on ours but I have not had a cat peeing around the house for 12 months (only 1 month on and off so far!). Can't think of any circumstances under which Freddie will be leaving us either.  As I type I'm checking over my shoulder to try and ensure he doesn't pee in the corner.

Also the only reason I would be nervous of using it is that I too know people with bad experiences of anti depressants but as vet was quick to strenuously point out to me on Saturday (e.g. re steroids) cats, dogs and humans are VERY different in their tolerance levels for different medications.  I do hope you find something that works for Storm.

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 09:37:52 AM »
Whilst I personally hope I never have to go down this route I think it is far kinder to the cat to rehome to a less stressful environment than put it on antidepressents.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 09:28:57 AM »
Ela, why wouldnt you go down the prazac route?

It is just a person thing, and I have seen the results of Prozac in humans  and not all good.

Also if you are going down that route to have your cat tested  to ensure there are no liver/kidney problems

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 21:45:38 PM »
If the spraying is a behavioural manifestation of stress caused by having to share space with another cat then while treating the symptom - spraying - will make it seem better, it won't really take the stress away. Is much the same as humans who experience reactive (eg in reaction to emotional or physical environment) depression, as opposed to organic/idiopathic depression. Both can feel better with antidepressants but the former can actually make it go away by sorting out the cause, too.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 21:42:47 PM »
Ela, why wouldnt you go down the prazac route?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 17:23:35 PM »
Don't know if you have a homeopathic vet near to you - homeopathy is always worth a try and can be very effective in cases like these. It certainly helped with my sprayer - I won't say he NEVER does it now, but he stopped completely for ages following the homeopathic treatment. I don't personally think drugs are the answer, they may suppress the behaviour, but thats all they are doing, and they dull the senses in the process.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 14:00:10 PM »
I really can't face parting with him, as I feel he could continue what he is doing with me and then someone may put him down and also feel like I'm passing the problem on to someone else.

Usually when homed where there are no other cats this behavior stops. I had a cat like this once it was homed where there were no other cats. It walked round sprayed once and then never did again. You could always say that should the problem occur you would take the cat back.

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 13:21:42 PM »
Hello yes tried different litters as he did have a problem with one litter i had the litter he has now he rolls in! Not sure if thats a sign of liking it too much! Had a covered tray too, prefers the open one.  He has also been confined to a room on his own apart from his brother, had his urine check, used both feliway, natural supplements etc etc!

I really can't face parting with him, as I feel he could continue what he is doing with me and then someone may put him down and also feel like I'm passing the problem on to someone else.

Can I please ask why would you not go down the prozac route have you heard bad reports about it?

thanks for your post!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 13:10:58 PM »
Any ideas/advice most welcome, i have an appointment to see the vet again tomorrow

If you really have tried everything, different litters, many trays some with hoods others open and had the cat contained in the smallest room, vet check to ensure thee are no underlying problems, Feliway spray, rescue remedy. Then perhaps the kindest thing to do would be to find it a home where they are no other pets. I personally would not go down the Prozac route.

Offline Beatrix Potter

• Adult Cat
cat spraying and anti-depressants
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 12:59:52 PM »
Hello

My cat storm has been spraying for over a year.  I have tried absolutely everything with great help from wizz on cat chat with no result.  I believe it all started when he and his brother went into adult years so he is marking the kitchen.  Sometimes he just sprays but he sprays everywhere and has cut off our electrics several times, other times he empties his whole bladder either on the floor or the worktop and one time on the oven hob!  Its sometimes bearable but most of the time unbearable.   The vet suggested putting him on antidepressants for a while which I know is not looked at in a good light but I feel like I'm running out of options.  I don't agree the cats hate each other and should be separated because they play fight sometimes hurting each other but the next minute they are both curled up together! 

i have read one interesting article about Prozac which  seems to have the most effective results closely followed by clomipramine although I have also read that Prozac is about 4 x more expensive? These two seem to be ones that have good results after a few months and then they can come off them with no relapses.

Any ideas/advice most welcome, i have an appointment to see the vet again tomorrow

Link to CatChat