Author Topic: Blood in Urine  (Read 5376 times)

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
Re: Blood in Urine
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2006, 19:32:58 PM »
Thanks for posting this Ela

Abbey's only thing from the list was the blood in the urine, I guess thats why she ruled out cystitis. She did mention the possibility of FUS or FUTD, but only if it keeps recurring.

She seems to have cleared it completely now, and has just been spayed a few weeks ago, maybe the infection is connected with that instead?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2006, 08:17:32 AM »
Taken from a site;- (easier than bothering to think what to write)

The term "cystitis" literally means irritation of the urinary bladder. Although this term is rather general, there is a common form of cystitis that occurs in male and female cats. This disease is also known as Feline Urologic Syndrome (FUS) or Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD). It affects the bladder (not the kidneys), resulting in the production of tiny crystals and bloody urine. The cat often urinates much more frequently than normal, usually with the passage of only a few drops of urine. This can be confused with constipation. Many cats will urinate in places other than the litter box due to the irritation of the bladder wall, Hard cool surfaces such as tile floors, counter tops, sinks, and bathtubs are often used. They should not be punished for doing so.

We are not completely sure of the cause of this problem. Bacterial infections are the most common cause of cystitis in dogs and humans, but most cats with cystitis do not have bacteria in their urine.  Dry foods may not initiate, but will aggravate the problem after it begins. This is because of the higher mineral content (ash) and lower water content of dry foods. A herpes virus has also been incriminated.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2006, 23:10:39 PM »
Cystitis is an infection, crystals are soemthing different. Can't remember more at the moment though am afraid,
Thanks .
Please spay your cat

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 22:53:46 PM »
I agree, I thought it was a bit odd. I know with us the doctor will ask for it the same day, but never such a tight time scale.

The vet gave me the impression she had ruled it Cysitis, due to not having crystals in it, but thought more towards a Bacteria Infection. She did say, that sometimes cats can have repeat episodes of this and if it happens again they would look to do more tests and maybe keep her on low dose medication for life.

Sending love and kisses to Pebbles, I have been reading your post on her and looking for an update each day.You two are certainly going through the mill at the minute. I do hope she picks up soon.

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 22:38:03 PM »
Sounds odd actually - the timespan is longer than 30 mins for a urine sample, admittedly the fresher the better, but earlier in the year when I was getting samples, I had a 3 hour window for it. And the fact there are no crystals doesn't mean no cystitis at all, they are actually different things!! I am glad that her wee is looking better though, fingers crossed - sometimes though, it seems to have got better, but does flare up again in a week or so.
Please spay your cat

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 22:25:42 PM »
The vet was really pleased with Abbey's progress, she seems to have cleared up quite an aggressive bacteria infection. Apparently it is quite unusual for a kitten to get this so I have to keep her on antibiotics for a week and then take another sample in to be sure it has cleared up.

I keep checking her urine everyday to make sure it looks clear, and so far so good.

Thanks once again to you all for your kind words of support.

Love
Abbey & KayJay
 :thanks:

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 12:19:16 PM »
Good luck with Abby at the vets today, KayJay.  Hope the little poppet is on the mend by now and has no further trouble with this problem. 

Keep us posted.

Lots of love to her  :Luv:

Roz
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2006, 16:48:10 PM »
It was very thoughtless of them not to tell you there was a timescale to that.

But good news its not cystitus!! Hopefully the antibiotics will clear up whatever infection your poor kitty has!

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 15:45:36 PM »
I think the Vet's sometimes need to be a bit more sensitive. They called me just to say the sample I took in that morning was too old, they never thought to tell me they needed to analyse it within 30 mins.

I took another one up last night and they called today to say there were no crystals in the water, so not cystitis!

She has another appointment to see them tomorrow, but the blood in the urine has stopped, so it is possible it was an infection. 

Thanks to everyone for your words of support, it is so good to be able to talk about your concerns with other people owed by their cats!!

KayJay
xx   :thanks:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 17:16:28 PM »
I'm sure she'll be fine, as others suggested, perhaps just a touch of cystitis and I agree with Ela about the blood seeming much more than it actually is - just one drop of blood, once diluted in the urine will colour the whole sample quite red. Its quite usual for the vet to want to talk to you personally, even if its nothing to worry about, rather than having the nurse or receptionist just passing on info to you - although I know that only makes you fear the worst - been there!

Offline Eve

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 16:12:32 PM »
It certainly sounds like cystitus KayJay, hopefully the antibiotics will sort her out and the injection should make her a bit more comfortable until they kick in. Let us know what the vet says.

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 15:49:55 PM »
Yes, I could not agree more. Both my 2 are Ragdolls and I purposely went for indoor cats. I have had the misfortune to loose 2 cats over the years to RTA's.

I guess this really show's why we should all have a litter tray regardless of the cat going outside.

I took the sample into the vets this morning and have just called for the test results. They will not tell me whats wrong, and have told me the vet will call me after 4pm today to discuss. Fingers crossed for us.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 12:19:49 PM »
its colour looks like pure blood but watery.

It takes something like this to make everyone realize why we should always have a litter tray available no matter what age the cat and irrespective of if it usually goes out. It is the best way to nip things in the bud.

Totally agree Ela.
Had this argument with someone on another board but she didn't think it was necessary to have a litter tray

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 09:05:30 AM »
its colour looks like pure blood but watery.

Don't worry too much, you know when you cut yourself you think you have bled gallons but in reality it is possibly less than 1/4 tsp. Now the little one is receiving treatment hopefully it will soon be back to normal.

It takes something like this to make everyone realize why we should always have a litter tray available no matter what age the cat and irrespective of if it usually goes out. It is the best way to nip things in the bud.

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 22:01:29 PM »
Thanks Ela

I am so worried, I called the vet immediately and took her straight there but I am shocked by the colour of her urine, its colour looks like pure blood but watery.

The vet has given her an injection and some medication and I have to take her back on Friday. I am going to go myself though first thing in the morning to take the sample in.

I'm terrified, I could not stand the thought of losing her :'(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 21:54:41 PM »
I am sure many of us have, obviously credit to you as you must have a litter tray, had you not you would never know what the little one is putting in the hole in the ground.

There are many things it could be but cystitis springs to mind as the most likely, usually a course of antibiotics will sort it out.

Offline KayJay

• Kitten
Blood in Urine
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 21:48:29 PM »
Hiya

Ive come over from cat chat and would appreciate any reassurance anyone can give. I took my cat to the vet today as I noticed blood in her urine. I was asked to collect a sample for the vet tonight, which I have done. I am really worried now as the sample is so red, It obviously has a lot of blood in it. Does any one know what can cause this?

Has anyone had this kind of thing with any of there furbabies? My furbaby (Abby) is only 8 months old

Very Woried Mum  :(

Link to CatChat