Author Topic: Another vet visit for Pebbles  (Read 21583 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Another vet visit for Pebbles
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2006, 09:54:40 AM »
Thanks KElly. I am hoping it is just the meds taking time, but the vet would't give a timespan. Today will be the 6th day of antibiotics though. Have you got your e-mail?
Please spay your cat

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2006, 09:49:49 AM »
Aw Des - I didn't know Pebs was so ill. I so hope she starts to buck up - it may just take time for the medication to take effect?

Paws crossed

Hugs Archie, Poppy, Bella and the girls    :hug:
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2006, 08:51:24 AM »
Hi Roz - the vet did listen to her chest and throat, and said her breathing was fine, and it was at the vets, but it is louder at home, but this is something that happens from time to time, the only explanation they have ever been able to give (seeing as chest x-rays were clear) is that she has had cat flu previously and it is from that. She has eaten well this morning, I dont want to get too excited though, as brekkie was an hour and a half late (just didn't want to get up this morning), and she is still on meds, so I think tomorrow and Mon are going to be the biggest tests, as she will only be on anti-inflams then. I would doubt depression, as pancreatitis does make them feel very miserable. She wont stay with me in the bedroom though, she will only settle in the bathroom - which in one way is good, at least I can shut her in there to be sure of what she is eating.
Thanks Sue.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2006, 07:18:53 AM »
Hi Des.  I truly hope, given the time of year, a miracle or two can come the way of you and Pebbles.  Thinking of you both.   

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2006, 00:58:28 AM »
Hi Des,

Many apologies but I've only just come back in since posting my last question. I'm wondering whether the fact that Pebbles is seeking solace in the bathroom is just because it is quiet or whether she is finding the moisturous atmosphere soothing.  Has the vet checked her lungs?  Often cats with fluid build up on their lungs/chest seek refuge in the bathroom because it helps them to breathe.  I could go into why I mention this, but because it is only a thought, I won't elaborate any further for the moment....but it is worth consideration.

I shall continue to hope and pray for our dear little Pebbles' swift return to her old self.

Lots of love to you both

Roz

P.S. She isn't depressed about anything is she?  Could she be missing Tom?
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 20:12:51 PM »
Thanks Gill, it means a lot. I have brought her into the bedroom (she did put up a fight, but I don't know if that is good cos she doesn't normally like being picked up, or bad because the vet did say her tummy was sore so it could be hurting her) and we are going to watch a film now. She has eaten some dry, but only cos I put the bowl under her mouth, moved it to type this and she isn't even looking for it. She isn't happy on the bed though, she wants to go back in the bathroom, which isn't good. I hope there is a miracle.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2006, 20:06:10 PM »
Oh Desley I feel so sad for Pebbles and you. I wish I knew of a way to help. I understand about what you said about her purring  :'(

It would be wonderful if there was a miricle over the weekend and she suddenly perked up, all my thoughts are with you and Pebbles  :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2006, 19:35:08 PM »
IT took her an hour to get out of the bathroom, and within 10-15 mins she was back there, and hasn't moved since. I was sat on the landing with Shadow, and she watched me, but wouldnt get up. She hasn't used the tray today though, which isn't good. All week she has barely been moving, and when seh finds somewhere she likes, that is her there for hours and I suspect she woudl eat even less if I didn't put it so close - I cant leave it in her bed cos she keeps lying in the food bowls and not noticing - and not just once, it has happened most days (obv for seconds after the first time). She has her last antibiotic tomorrow, and then just Metacam till Mon when we are back at the vets, but I dont want to put her through things if she is very miserable and in pain - this has been going on since Sun (Thank god I feed all mine separately so I noticed it), and she has been on meds since Mon, so I think if no improvement by Mon, I will have to have a serious think.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2006, 19:29:44 PM »
I'm sorry I can't be of more practical help, but fingers crossed for Pebbles, Desley. If it were me, I would definitely persevere with the coaxing to eat and the (unwelcome to P) medications but I know you know your Pebbles as far as all that's concerned.

xC
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2006, 19:29:09 PM »
Des, How does Pebbles seem in herself?  Is she sitting hunched up and depressed...or is she just quiet but still walking about and generally taking an interest in what is going on around her.....even if not particularly active?
You may think that what you do is insignificant, but it's important that you do it.  (Gandhi)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2006, 19:10:15 PM »
Thanks Roz. She is still barely moving, and has only eaten cos i have coaxed her - i had a scare when she moved away from the Gourmet Pearl twice, she never ever refuses it. Fortunately, I then put a piece near her mouth, so she tucked in, but still not eating normally, it is a bit then a break, and if I didn't put it so close to her and stroke her she wouldn't touch it. I dont want to persevere with coaxing her and getting meds into her if the outcome isn't going to be good anyway, but will have to wait till Mon for that, and I need to ask the vet waht the chances are that this is something more serious. She has come downstairs, but struggled getting back up them, so she is weak. She is also very wide eyed, hopefully from the meds, and she is purring very loudly and a bit too much for my liking. She is still enjoying a fuss, but only when you go to her.
Please spay your cat

Offline Roz

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2006, 15:23:32 PM »
Oh Des,  I've only just seen this thread but am so sorry to hear how poorly little Pebbles is....I know she is in the best hands with you and will keep everything crossed that she starts to improve very soon.  I hope it is nothing as serious as has been suggested.

Gosh, what a worry and after everything she has been through this year...poor little love.

I will pray to St Francis to look after her........

Lots of love to you both

Roz

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2006, 14:33:23 PM »
Hi Tan - yes, I am quite happy with my vets, I know from my own research that there is no pleasant way of diagnosing pancreatitis in this country (only nearly definite way is a biopsy, which I woudl't agree to), no treatment and no cure, and the old way of thinking on it can be dangerous, plus my vet only went to a seminar on it in Sept, and has checked all her notes for me. All you can do is treat the symptoms, which is why she is on painkillers, antibiotics and anti-inflams, to try and help her feel better to start eating. I nipped home at lunch, she hasn't eaten much, ignored me, and when I gave her some food, she moved for the first time - but only to get away from it. I am mroe concerned as to if what is making her ill is treatable, cos I dont want to put her through days of being miserable and in pain for no reason.
Please spay your cat

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2006, 13:59:53 PM »
Understand how worried ya feeling. It awful when you know she's not well and herself but the vets can't find out the solution to make her better.  :'(
Do you feel the vet is doing everything they know? You must know them well with all your babes.  I only ask cause when Rio was ill at 9weeks with running bum my pld vets tried everything they thought of and nothing was helping him. They were going to have him in on a drip if it didn't stop by the next day. I took a descion to get another opinion and the new vets cured him that day with Panacur!!! He had a tummy virus. Why the old vets didn't do that i don't know!!

Praying for her
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2006, 07:35:30 AM »
Thanks Tan - I am incredibly worried sick about this one. She did settle on the bed for a while, before going into the bathroom at some point, and she hasn't moved out of there yet. She has eaten a very small amount, but only with coaxing and me putting it in her bed - can't leave food there though, as seh has a habit of not noticing the food bowl is there and lies in it. I did get the painkillers in her though, and the anti-inflams are in her food, so hopefully she has eaten the bits that have it in. Even if she is acting loads better by tonight, I dont want to get my hopes up too much, as we only have one days' worth of strong painkillers, so I really dont know what will happen when she finishes her meds, her antibiotics are due to finish on Sat, but she hasn't had lots of them anyway, cos she has struggled with the last two days (I foolishly told the vet last night I would be fine for last nights tablet!!)
Please spay your cat

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 22:21:20 PM »
Des Finally had time to catch up on some threads and i soo sorry for both of you. You must be worried sick. :(

My love and and prayers are with you hun that ya find out whats aling Darlin Pebbles and she feels better soon. :please: :hug:

Has she settled down upstairs tonight after ya trying earlier?

Love to you both

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 21:20:19 PM »
Thanks - have tried to pick her up to bring her upstairs, but gave up after being bit 3 times. Not sure if that is a good sign or not really!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Claire M

• Adult Cat
  • My Beautiful Casper
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 19:31:36 PM »
Desley, Felix and I have fingers,toes and paws crossed that Pebbles feels better very soon, thinking of you,Claire.
Claire M x

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 19:13:38 PM »
Me too Christine, and that this clears up - not sure how well it will if she wont take meds - teh stronger stuff is liquid to syringe into her mouth - although not all the 5ml of water I syringed into her yesterday worked!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 19:08:35 PM »
Oh dear. I do hope that the stronger medication is helpful. I know just how awful it is when they won't take tablets and confess that I actually get our catsitter to come round and help me when we need them as Blip, likewise, simply will not take them willingly and won't be fooled by any of the usual ploys.

Fingers crossed for Pebbles.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 18:56:57 PM »
I did, and it was a bit of a mixed visit really. Vet thinks she is looking better, but still miserable, and her tummy is still sore, but bloods and x-ray done a month ago showed nothing, but she did say that certian things like tumours wouldn't necessarily show up on an x-ray. She has given her a jab, and given me some stronger meds tomorrow, but wont commit to a prognosis either way, she has just said we will have to see how she is after these meds - which is exactly the same as Snowy. The main problem with Pebbles is that she is such a difficult cat, a lot of the things that they can do to try and help her feel better would require sedations (Which I wouldn't be happy with, she has had waay too many this year), and put stress on her, which is something that needs avoiding with pancreatitis, so we have limited options as to how to treat her. She has eaten more today, but I am not getting too optimistic about it, esp not seeing as some of what she has eaten was after a jab at the vets, and the fact that she isn't getting most of the antibiotics, she is fighting more now and that results in her foaming at the mouth - again, so similar to Snowy.
Please spay your cat

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 18:27:12 PM »
Any news Desley? Did you take Pebbles to the vet this evening?

Offline devilish_ushotmail

• Adult Cat
  • Tom Cat - My Bestest Friend in the Whole World
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 14:20:24 PM »
Keep Smiling Desley - Im thinking of you  :hug:

Be strong Pebbels xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 07:46:23 AM »
Yep, I can understand your reluctance at leaving her at the vet all day.  At least she's eaten something, bless her.  Am sending you  both a little hug to keep you going   

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2006, 07:43:12 AM »
Thanks Sue - found her sleeping on the kitchen floor this morning, which is never a good sign, but she has show interest in going out, and I have got her to eat something, although she will only eat her wet if I hand feed her, and only her dry when you keep showing it to her. Think I will just get an appointment for them to see her tonight rather than leave her there all day, she has drank water and eaten wet, and I can't see signs of dehydration anymore.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2006, 07:26:07 AM »
Hi Desley.  Been catching up with threads and am sorry to see poor Pebbles has had to go back again.  I hope she's showing signs of imrovement this morning.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2006, 20:59:13 PM »
She has drank since I got home, and I went to Asda purely for some Gourmet Pearl food for her - the stuff that she always eats when seh is feeling ill, and she has eaten some of it, whcih is excellent, and come downstairs and seemed a bit better in herself. The vet said that if she still isn't better by tomorrow to drop her off for the day, but she doesn't want to do bloods just yet.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2006, 15:32:40 PM »
Cheers guys. I had debated the cat milk Liz (I always have it in), but she didn't like it last time
Please spay your cat

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2006, 15:21:12 PM »
Des fingers crossed for the visit with Pebbles.  Maybe she has the SAD Winter syndrome and wants some warm sun.  Re the drinking try cat milk our kids love it and we put that down when they are feeling yucky and they always lap it.

Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2006, 15:17:12 PM »
I'd missed this somehow. Oh dear, poor Pebbles - you must both be so fed up of all these vet visits - I hope it proves possible to find out exactly what's going on with her...

Fingers crossed for later.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 08:50:24 AM »
She is worse with wet -she wolfed the first lot of a/d down, then ignored the second lot, ate the first lot of HiLife tuna and ignored the second lot, and preferred to lie in the HiLife salmon this morning!! She will eat dry, but it is a couple of pieces then she sits pondering before eating any more. My main concern with her eating dry is that I Can't see her drinking, and there is no evidence of the water level going down when she is isolated - I did syringe fluids into her this morning, but she is a nightmare for it, and I would be surprised if she had half of it!! I wouldn't say she is utterly miserable, she shows interest in food until you put it in front of her. Will have to see waht the vet says later.
Please spay your cat

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 21:40:56 PM »
Awww, Des, I'm sorry  :(

Is she any better with wet food than dry?

If you'd like to try her on it we bought some Applaws kitten today - I could do a bit of a 'meals on wheels' for her.

As long as she's not utterly miserable it's worth giving the new meds a try.

Hugs to both of you.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 21:19:11 PM »
Not a good day today, she has barely touched anything, so I will have to ring the vet tomorrow (didnt get back from the docs in time to ring tonight). She is on my bed now but still no interest in food, she will eat one biscuit then lose interest, although she will eat more if I tip it out or offer it to her. I am feeling a bit dejected about it really, and am wondering if it is just feeling poorly that is making her not want to eat, and whether the meds will help (got her tablet down her with little probs), or whether she has had this for a while, and has had enough.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 07:35:56 AM »
I know Gill - but the vet has always thought there was something underlying, its just that with all the tests she has had this past 2 years, nothing has shown up. Not having too good a morning, she acted like she wanted breakfast, and then walked away, so I have put her in the bathroom with a plate of a/d, a bowl of dry (she likes that, but she was slightly dehydrated, so not the best thing), water and a tray - she isn't bothered being shut in there fortunately. Not looking forward to getting the antibiotics down her tonight though!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 23:59:34 PM »
Poor Pebbles and she was doing so well after the op. I do hope she picks up  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 20:41:13 PM »
Im sure its Panzym that helps with Pancreatitis.
Hope she picks up soon 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 14:29:10 PM by Millys Mum »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 18:44:51 PM »
Aw poor thing.  Hope the anti inflammatories and antibiotics do the trick and she shows some improvement soon.  Good that the vet couldn't find anything particularly wrong with her though (I think!).

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 18:38:23 PM »
WEll, she doesn't have a temp, but is slightly dehydrated and was waay to quiet at the vets!! She has only lost a small amount of weight whcih is good. Vets have given antibiotics and anti-inflamms, but with something on her poo sample (teh one I cancelled!!), she is now wondering if she has chronic pancreatitis - she is convinced there is something underlying with her, but she has been tested for so many things that there isn't a lot left!! Apparently, there isn't a conclusive test in the UK for it, she is going to check her notes from the last cat conference on it tonight just to check if there is something she has forgotten, but doesn't seem to think there is much treatment for it. She has eaten well since getting home, but she is really struggling on her remaining back leg, whcih is a worry. Vet couldn't feel anything wrong with it though, will monitor that and see if I think she needs to go back about that.
Please spay your cat

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 11:16:53 AM »
I'm keeping everything crossed that she's just being temperamental Desley, and that there's nothing wrong with her - you've both been through so much this year, lets just hope she's feeling a little bit off colour and that's why she's acting out of sorts. 

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 10:22:32 AM »
WEll, we have an app at 5.20 tonight - the reluctance to walk up the stairs is a worry, and she did struggle with the first step, and took a couple of goes to do them all. And the fact that she will only eat when I bring it to her - not like her.
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat