Author Topic: broken sleep  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: broken sleep
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2006, 08:53:43 AM »
Aaaah I defy you to ignore the pathetic whinge of a 19 year old [/quote
You can't , can you? I know I couldn't or wouldn't.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2006, 23:53:17 PM »
Aaaah I defy you to ignore the pathetic whinge of a 19 year old  :innocent:  :evillaugh:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2006, 21:53:12 PM »
he wants to see mummy put him some fresh food down before eating it  :innocent:

The term: wrapped around paw comes to mind  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2006, 21:49:56 PM »
If I shut Sooty out of the bedroom, he spends all night picking at the carpet outside the door and howling, so I get less sleep than if I let him in!  Ignoring him in the mornings also doesn't work, he does a little miaow noise about every 10 seconds.  It's not loud, but it's just enough to be irritating.  I ignored it for 45 minutes on Sunday morning before finally giving in and getting him his breakfast.  Leaving food out doesn't work either, as he wants to see mummy put him some fresh food down before eating it  :innocent:

Offline Fiona2

• Adult Cat
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2006, 19:31:42 PM »
Out of our four boys it's only Ginge who is normally allowed in the bedroom at night, he settles into his spot in the middle of the bed in the well between me and OH and he's such a lazy, saggy bagpuss he'll be happy there till I get up to give them their breakfast. occasionally there's a petulant meeow of complaint if one of us turns over and dares to disturb him  :evillaugh:
Last night Pepe got into the bedroom when OH forgot to close the door properly and we paid for his mistake by being woken several times with Pepe climbing up the clothes horse, jumping onto the wardrobe and making the handles rattle, scratching at the bottom of the bed, loud purring in the earhole, wet nose on the face, sandpaper tongue licking hands.   :lick:
baggy eye day today :nite:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2006, 16:13:03 PM »
After 8 months I'm getting there with sleeping through the night!  Jaffa has his place on the bed reserved and settles down there every night and doesn't budge til I wake up.  Although if I wake up in the night he'll get up then.    Mosi sometimes settles on the floor or a chair but always moves onto the bed during the night.  I wake up with him tucked in beside me just beneath the pillow - always in the same place and lying on his left with his bum in my face!  Lately he's been settling down at bedtime leaning against my legs the other side to Jaffa so I end up with Jaffa one side and Mosi the other.  Jaffa has a hot water bottle so that he has something warm to lean against other than me (2 cats cuddled up to me just makes me way too hot).  He settles down near enough for me to stroke him but not quite touching me.   

The problems arise when I wake up in the night as any sign of stirring by me gets the pair of them up and thinking it's morning.  They both seem to be aware of the slilghtest change in my breathing and the minute I'm aware of being awake they are too.  And I can forget sleeping past 6am (my normal getting up time during the week) as Mosi has a lively wake up routine which involves climbing over me again and again, licking and nuzzling my face until I show signs of being awake.  I think I've got it pretty much cracked though and usually I wake up first, although I'm not sure that would be the case if I ever tried to get my 8 hours a night (I aim for about 7 and usually get about 6).  And when I sleep through nothing beats waking up to 2 fluffies lying contentedly either side of me.

Offline fleur

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2006, 13:44:45 PM »
I shut mine out of the bedroom. I always get woken up just before the alarm goes off too, but it's better than being jumped on in the night, even if it's only Inigo wanting a cuddle and purring at me. He is so very sweet but I can't cope well with tiredness!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »
Join the club. I tend to ignore Lexy when she wakes me....she does it for attention and when she realises I won't move she just flopps down and goes to sleep.  I have to say though that there is never a day that my alarm clock wakes me up....my own little purralarm gets me up about 30 mins before I'm due to...and she always knows the time I set the actual alarm for!  :rofl:

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2006, 12:55:41 PM »
Bilbo is a nightmare and wakes my OH up several times during the night so once we move house the cats won't be allowed in the bedroom anymore (OH is also fed up of Bilbo getting into the wardrobe and covering his clothes in fur). It's a shame for Tigger who only comes into bed for a cuddle with me just before she goes off to her own bed though but we can't keep one out without the other.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 12:45:12 PM »
I agree, Nick. Ours are allowed on the bed, but if we stretch out and they get nudged by a body part, they know to move.(It's every person/cat for themselves, doncha know?!)

Not that I get undisturbed sleep despite that, my oldest girl is going a bit do-lally now she's getting older and cries at random points during the night! :tired:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 10:26:25 AM »
its hard but you have to be firm and push them off you or off the bed.

NO WAY LOL

We sleep around the cats on the bed - i couldnt push them off or shut them out :Luv:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 08:49:05 AM »
I can't remember the last time I had an uninterrupted night's sleep!  Max will always go on a dibbing mission at about 4am scratching the wardrobe, pulling the mirror over, that sort of thing, and will only stop if I get out of bed, then he jumps up and nicks the warm bit  :shify:  He is the cheeky little monster!  We then have cuddles under the duvet until he's had enough and shuffles back down the end of the bed again.

I'm always tired  :Crazy:, but saying that, we stayed away on Saturday night and I still didn't sleep properly 'cos I missed having Max with me  :evillaugh:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »
I hardened my heart and shut everyone downstairs tonight. And do you know what? I slept every bit as badly as I do with them all in the bed.  :rofl:

Might keep trying tho cos it really isn't clever to not be sleeping properly for days on end.
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 07:39:51 AM »
ts hard but you have to be firm and push them off you or off the bed.

I just couldn't do that

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 07:37:18 AM »
its hard but you have to be firm and push them off you or off the bed. They will learn really quickly not to disturb you in the middle of the night. Both mine used to . You won't believe it but they both wake me up minutes before the alarm is due to go off?  how do they know ?????
I also leave a variety of food in the bedroom at night so they can eat during the night. Mine don't eat during the day at all now. Just sleep  :doh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 23:40:13 PM »
Issey sleeps on my head, Rocky sleeps on my chest and now Freddy has joined in !

Then there is always some kind of crash, smash or fight that wakes me up LOL

Just a normal night in the life of a cat owner then

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 18:48:43 PM »
I dont think i ever get a whole night sleep !!

Issey sleeps on my head, Rocky sleeps on my chest and now Freddy has joined in !

Then there is always some kind of crash, smash or fight that wakes me up LOL

Oh the joys of !

Offline Wendy Q

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »
I'm suffering similar problems at the moment! My male cat was having toilet "acdidents" on the couch and the spare bed.  Visit to the vet confirmed no underlying medical problem but he may be feeling insecure.  As I work full time, I decided to let both the cats sleep on the bed so they get extra bonding time with me! This has made him much happier.  He used to nip my ankles every morning to be picked up whilst I was trying to get ready for work and now he lets me get on with it!  However, I have 2 problems with this. One is, he sometimes quite often feels in need of a cuddle in the middle of the night and touches my face with his paw until I wake up. Quite cute but if I ignore him he nips my hands to wake me! The other is my female cat always decides she wants to get in the wardrobe to chew my clothes and spends ages scrabbling at the wardrobe door in the middle of the night. I've resorted to sleeping with a water spray to give her a quick squirt when she starts! In my view, you can't win! They will always rule the roost!  ;)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 11:44:46 AM »
We do need to remember that fit healthy cats are VERY good at keeping themselves warm, if they've got a snuggly bed or 2 to choose from then unless your kitchen drops to sub-zero at nighttime there's really no problem there.

I know, but why do I leave my heating on almost 24/7 even when we are away.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 11:45:42 AM by Ela »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 21:36:09 PM »
Ollie sleeps in the kitchen as a matter of course which works well all round - he has a warm bed, the boiler's down there, the litter tray to himself, food and water and best of all no interfering kittens  :rofl:. It's almost always the warmest room in the house so I've no concerns in that regard, and the added bonus is the floor is vinyl so any toiletting accidents are easy to clean up - and indeed to spot first thing before anyone treads in them  :-:

I sometimes shut the kittens in the living room - I prefer not to as I really love their company when I wake up in the night, but it's not so good when they become the cause of waking up. I think I'm getting better at ignoring their shenanigans - fortunately my night splints give me a bit of protection from the toe-attacking brigade, but when they're rolling around playfighting and pouncing on each other it's rather hard to ignore when the surface they're pouncing on is me!

We do need to remember that fit healthy cats are VERY good at keeping themselves warm, if they've got a snuggly bed or 2 to choose from then unless your kitchen drops to sub-zero at nighttime there's really no problem there.  :Luv:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 19:12:29 PM »
*Raises hand* me too!  No point in shutting him out of the bedroom as he will just pick at the carpet and howl, so that wakes me up anyway with the added drawback of a shredded carpet!  I'd be very grateful if someone has the answer!!

Offline devilish_ushotmail

• Adult Cat
  • Tom Cat - My Bestest Friend in the Whole World
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 18:59:00 PM »
Hi Nikkidee - tell me about. Tom wakes me up 3 or 4 times a night just for a cuddle!!! Its very sweet but at the same time it drives me insane. I couldnt bare to make him stay downstairs all night though as it gets v.cold in our house and Id hate to think of him stuck in a dark & cold room on his own all night.

I know this doent help you much with your situation but I guess what Im trying to say is ur not alone xxxx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 10:27:25 AM »
When you find out please tell me.

I assume you have a litter tray, is it not possible to place the  cat in the kitchen.

Offline nikkidee

• Kitten
broken sleep
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 10:05:14 AM »
Hi, i have a 4yr old female cat who has really come out of her shell since we moved house last year :) Unfortunately she has started waking me up at night, jumping on the bed, standing over me etc cos she wants feeding or to go out. We can't have a catflap due to glass door. Its bad enough getting up once a night with my 2 yr old(chest infection), without the cat also waking me up a couple of times a night too!!! Any suggestions would be much appreciated :)
(a very tired) nikkidee

Link to CatChat