Author Topic: CAT INJURED BY FOX.  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
Re: CAT INJURED BY FOX.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2007, 20:18:21 PM »
We have Coyotes in Westchester County just 25 miles north of NYC. Even in Manhattan there was one in Central Park!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 16:59:28 PM »
The vet said definitely a fox, also I know and have seen foxes chase cats and as I have posted preciously a fox was seen carring a cat in its mouth very near to where I live. Having said all that there was no one more pleased than me when Fox hunting was banned.

Also it was definitely a fox that killed one of our fostersers cats.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 16:48:40 PM »
Was it a witnessed attack as a dog would do the same injuries.
I dont doubt that a hungry fox will attack a cat but mine lived and shared the same territory as 4 foxes with no trouble. My neighbour fed them daily and i think thats what makes the difference.

After i moved these 4 foxes were then evicted off the land by 3 feral cats!

Nick, i also find it shocking that so many people have no pics to put on their missing ads, it makes all the difference especially when people report a missing torti that is actually a tabby!

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 10:00:08 AM »
Did you follow my link?

Yep had a look, still not heard of it though...

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2007, 09:57:15 AM »
Did you follow my link?

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »
Can't say I've ever heard of it  :scared:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:55 AM »
What's Love Story?

OMG!!!

I too am gobsmacked,  ;D even my grandchildren know of it.

You hav'nt been watching Hairspray recently have you Ela?

I have seen the advert, I think.

Told as a flashback, this is an uncomplicated love story between two star-crossed lovers-students, Harvard pre-law hockey player Oliver Barrett IV (Ryan O'Neal) and Radcliffe music student Jenny Cavilleri (Ali MacGraw). Oliver narrates the opening line of the film, looking back:

What can you say about a twenty-five-year-old girl who died? That she was beautiful and brilliant? That she loved Mozart and Bach, the Beatles, and me?

Their love triumphs over different economic-class backgrounds (he is a "preppie millionaire," she a smart-mouthed "social zero" from a blue-collar Italian/American family). Their main obstacle to romance is that his rich, powerful and snobbish father, Oliver Barrett III (Ray Milland) objects and threatens to cut off funding: "Oliver, if you marry her now, I'll not give you the time of day." To which the younger, bull-headed Oliver defiantly asks: "What offends you more, Father, that she's Catholic, or poor?" He ultimately responds: "Father, you don't know the time of day." The two young lovers marry anyway and first move into a small apartment in Cambridge before Oliver is hired by a New York law firm and they move to the city.

The film's two most touching and remembered scenes are their prolonged kissing scene and the montage of the couple tossing snowballs at each other. After meeting many obstacles and making sacrifices, she is diagnosed as terminally ill when she is tested for pregnancy, and dies in his arms at the hospital in a tear-inducing closing. She makes a last request of him: "You, after all - you're going to be a merry widower." "I won't be merry," he responds. She replies: "Yes, you will be. I want you to be merry. You'll be merry, okay?"

In the final scene, Oliver quotes his late wife, when speaking to his father about their past misunderstandings. After his father tells him he's sorry that she has died, Oliver responds in the last memorable line of the film, quoting an earlier remark of Jenny's:

Love means never having to say you're sorry.

He then walks out into a snowy Central Park to contemplate what life might have been in a touching finale, as the award-winning musical score builds in the background.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 10:01:55 AM by Ela »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 09:43:03 AM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:29:53 AM »
Baltimore

That place rings a bell at the back of my head, was it mentioned in Love Story?

What's Love Story?

Hairspray, Homicide, the Wire and a load of films were done in Baltimore. It's also known for seafood.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 09:26:08 AM »
You hav'nt been watching Hairspray recently have you Ela?  :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2007, 09:17:33 AM »
Baltimore

That place rings a bell at the back of my head, was it mentioned in Love Story?

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 09:01:35 AM »
Wow that's scary (but why would you pay someone else's bills?)

Anyway, here in the US at least on the East Coast we deal with coyotes. Several families I know have lost their pets to wild coyotes. My parents saw a pack of coyotes just the other day in their backyard.

Thank God my Mike is an indoor boy.

What part do you live in? I'm from Baltimore but spend time in PA & Arizona as well.

We never worried about coyotes (except in Arizona but I didn't have cats then) just giant rats.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 06:49:32 AM »
Ive never doubted (personally) that foxes attack cats.....it used to be only injured or old cats....foxes used to avoid a healthy cat like the plague as cats go for eyes and a blind fox in the wild will stand no chance.....

I dont want to sound awful here & peeps please dont grrr at me....i love foxes (but from afar) if for some reason these foxes that are friendly to humans cannot survive in the wild then so be it......but otherwise they are a wild animal and should be left that way......

Am now waiting for the bombardment  :scared:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2007, 02:53:38 AM »
I wonder how many of us on Purrs have not insured or microchipped their pets ?

My own cats are not insured. However, I know should they need any mediical attention it will be provided.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2007, 02:50:57 AM »
some cats can stand up to dogs and foxes and hold their own others are chased and hurt . it al depends on the cat obviously. just like people there are strong and weak cats.

I understand this was a 2 year old very fit and well tom.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2007, 00:13:59 AM »
Friend of mine in Glasgow ended up punching a fox as it went after his daughters guinea pigs.

My Mum has a Fox that lives in her garden (you prob have seen the pics)
Well she had next doors rabbit and guinea pigs - oh thats the Fox not my Mum  :rofl: :rofl:

The Rabbit they had left to run round the garden on its own and Mrs Fox thought "great i'll have that" - she grabbed it but the dropped it when they shouted at her (Rabbit died of shock)
Then a couple of months later they put the Guinea pigs in a open topped run only about a foot high and again left them out in the garden - THICK OR WHAT ??!!!

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2007, 00:02:39 AM »
Wow that's scary (but why would you pay someone else's bills?)

Anyway, here in the US at least on the East Coast we deal with coyotes. Several families I know have lost their pets to wild coyotes. My parents saw a pack of coyotes just the other day in their backyard.

Thank God my Mike is an indoor boy.

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 22:03:18 PM »
some cats can stand up to dogs and foxes and hold their own others are chased and hurt . it al depends on the cat obviously. just like people there are strong and weak cats.
I can't believe how few people insure their cats and even less microchip them .
I looked on the UK Nat missing pets register yesterday . More than half the posters couldn't even muster a single picture of their missing pets ? and 90% of the missing pets had no micochip !

I wonder how many of us on Purrs have not insured or microchipped their pets ?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 21:09:54 PM »

(the fox wasn't harmed - just surprised)

I'll say....  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 20:56:15 PM »
Friend of mine in Glasgow ended up punching a fox as it went after his daughters guinea pigs.

His daughter and wife were shocked he'd manage to hit the animal and to this day aren't sure who was more scared him or the fox.

(the fox wasn't harmed - just surprised)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 19:08:51 PM »
I can appreciate that but even on here occasionally people have doubted it happens.

Can't imagine why - foxes are predators and while they may prefer their prey be of the not-fighting-back variety, they are also opportunists so if a cat wandered under its nose, the fox would no doubt have a go. If the cat fought back the fox might let go, or it might hang on - depending on how hungry it was. The one over my back fence is lean and sorry looking sort, so I expect it is fairly hungry, which is why Smidgen won't be going outside until he is older and a bit more worldly wise than he is a present (full of kitten confidence  :Luv:)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 19:05:07 PM »
Mine used to see off foxes all the time... 

I can appreciate that but even on here occasionally people have doubted it happens.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 18:32:45 PM »
well atleast she has contacted you ela, makes me irate they think others should pay their bills though  >:(  I know the main thing is the puss but you know where i am coming from,

Hope it recovers  :)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 18:29:53 PM »
Mine used to see off foxes all the time...  :sneaky:

Poor kitty! I hope he/she'll be okay?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
CAT INJURED BY FOX.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 18:27:05 PM »
I have just received a phone call from someone asking if I can pay the bill as their cat has been very badly injured by a fox and is in a terrible state. I think the least of its injuries is a broken leg. So I would say to all those that say it doesn't happen believe me it does.

Link to CatChat