Author Topic: Just started Thomas on Metacam  (Read 8667 times)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
Re: Just started Thomas on Metacam
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 18:54:41 PM »
It might not be wishful thinking Ros ! Thomas obviously is feeling alot more comfortable already which is great.
As Ela said you have to weigh up whats better for him - yes Metacam can lead to Kidney problems and if it does then he goes onto Kidney tablets.
God i dont want this to sound terrible but he's no spring chicken and he has done well not to be on all kinds of tablets by now anyway so i would stick with the Metacam for now as see how he goes.

Good luck and a kiss to Thomas
Michelle xx

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 17:55:25 PM »
Hi Chris

I've no time at the mo but will read the link you gave for which I'm most grateful. Can you remember what dosage Buddie was on?  Tom is 5 kilos in weight (all muscle) which is fab for a 17 year old but I understand dosage is linked to weight. 

Hi furbabystar, I'm obviously seeing things that ain't theras I thought I'd already noticed signs of improvement tonight!  Wishful thinking!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 17:43:07 PM »
Unfortunately many drugs come with side effects, sometimes it is a choice of a comfortable pain free life with possible kidney probs or a painful life which no one wants. Life quality has to come first.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 17:11:08 PM »
I was going to say yesterday that prolonged use of Metacam can cause kidney problems.
It would be best to speak to your vet about this.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 13:48:51 PM »
Rosella, I would be very careful with metacam.  My Buddie developed kidney problems when he was on it after his knee surgery.  We took him off the Metacam and his kidney levels went quickly back to normal.  My vet thinks Buds reacted badly to the metacam.

If you want to read a bit more about other pet owners and their experience with this drug, please read (you will need to copy/paste the link into your IE address bar):

http://www.arthritis-cats-dogs.com/cgi-bin/datacgi/database.cgi file=Forum&report=Subtopic&SubtopicID=00000114&firstrecord=0&finalrecord=14

Buddie is now on injections of cartophen for a bout of arthitis and it had good results.  He is no longer limping and is jumping about as mad as a kitten.  He is also been under house arrest for the past 3 weeks (we are allowed to let him out for short periods on the week-end to see how it goes), and on 3 tabs of glucosamine/day for 6 weeks.

Please, please be careful with Metacam.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 14:58:47 PM by chrisleitz »
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 09:35:52 AM »
Matacam is good gear but it takes about 4wks for signs of improvement.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:06:59 AM »
Fingers crossed for him.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
Just started Thomas on Metacam
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 21:26:28 PM »
Our handsome Thomas (17) has been limping up and down stairs for some time now with his arthritic back legs and I've finally given in and picked up some metacam from the vet today. We had tried Synoquin Cat but not much cop. I've put it off till now as I worry a little about painkilling drops masking other signs of illness.

However Freddie has been chasing the poor old lad (which is prob good for his arthritis to be honest) and I felt more sorry than usual for our lovely old lad.  In any event his blood tests in the Summer were very good for a 17 year old so hoping no adverse effects. Will let you know how we go.  He is on 3 drops a day for 4 days then down to 1 drop a day.

As I type Freddie is going bananas with a ball of paper and kicking hell outa me oriental rug. What is that cat on?!!!!

Link to CatChat