Author Topic: Just started Thomas on Metacam  (Read 8668 times)

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
Re: Just started Thomas on Metacam
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 17:29:44 PM »
I just got them from the vets, they were only about £6 for 100 tablets so I didn't think it was worth trying to get them from elsewhere!

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 11:30:39 AM »
FluffyBunny, where do you buy them from?  I couldn't find distributor info on the web site.  Thanks.
Best wishes, Chris, Samson, Buddie and Pepper

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2006, 09:06:37 AM »
Many thanks Fluffybunny. I have PM'd my details to you.

Thomas says "ta ever so much. I'll do my best to eat one but no promises!"

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2006, 23:03:40 PM »
I've got this one http://www.healtheries.co.nz/page.php?id=25&prod=1233 (got the web address from the tablet pot so I'm confident it's the right one!) It says the dose is 1 tablet a day for up to 5kg, 2 a day for more than that.  I got mine from the vets, I can't remember exactly but I think it was around £6 for 100 tablets.  For stuff like this I prefer to support my vet as they are very reasonably priced and are always very good and flexible with me (I have 4 rabbits and foster others so I'm always up there!)

PS Rosella, if you feel brave enough to give your address (or a work c/o address) to a random person from the internet, I'll happily post you a few GLMs to see if your fella will eat them - just pm me if you would like to  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 23:31:09 PM by fluffybunny »

Offline Kezza

• Adult Cat
  • Barney
    • Barney Piccies
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2006, 22:41:48 PM »

Metacam is what the vet has just given me for my little kitten who was limping the other day, I have to admit since giving him 2 drops in his food he's been a right fast little mover! Not a limp or holding his leg in sight!

He's only supposed to take it for 3-4 days and I have to admit I was a bit concerned when I saw on the box for dogs, I did check with the vet to make sure she hadn't given me the wrong thing.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2006, 07:48:40 AM »
Sorry, didn't get chance to notice this last night - I am sure it was either VetUK or BestPet Pharmacy I saw them on - dont seem to have the paper with the prices on near my desk though!! Never ended up buying them though, I was looking at them for Ginger when the vet said seh thought he had arthritis - I could be wrong, but I think they are tablets.
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2006, 02:49:12 AM »
See www.wellbeing-uk.com I think your vet would be the best person to recommend dosage.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2006, 22:24:14 PM »
It might be worth getting the Green Lipped mussel now, and starting him on it to help - but do get them online rather than through your vet!!

Hi Chris, I was hoping that Desley might post a reply to your query as she seems to know a little about GLM from quote above. If we're really lucky she might even supply a web link? I tried petscriptions.co.uk but they don't seem to supply it and I wonder if this can just be got on a normal human weblink but I'd want to know about dosage...

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2006, 09:01:52 AM »
Where do you get the GLM from and in what form (liquid, powder,tablet) does it come in. How much do you give?   Buddie is on the synequin tablets at the moment (3/day) and he seems fine with them but then his arthritis I think is still mild.  His last injection of Cartrophen will be this Wednesday but rather having to go through that again, in the future, I would like to try some alternatives that won't involve weekly vet trips and injections.  They are just too stressful for him.
Thanks.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2006, 20:53:54 PM »
Awww!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2006, 20:48:03 PM »
So maybe, Fluffybunny, GLM could be a treat for Tommie.  Mmmmmm

Thanks Kittybabe.  Our Tom says "right back at ya". He is behaving quite differently since we started the drops.  I tried him with my gold chain today. Usually I don't encourage him to chase it on the bed as the surface is so uneven and it hurts him to run but tried him today and he went running across the bed with no trouble. 

He has been downstairs with me since I got in from work which is extremely unusual and has had lots of chicken and melted cheese. I'm sure the cheese is not that good for him but he goes mad for it and they get what they want at that age don't they!

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2006, 20:30:10 PM »
I wonder, does Sooty like Synulox antibiotics as Tom is rather partial to them! 

Ahahaha nope!  I started off with those and he wouldn't eat them either  :innocent:  And yes, I know I'm biased but he is rather lovely  :Luv:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2006, 20:14:17 PM »
Pleased your mind's at ease about this Ros....BIIIIIIIGGGG HUG for Tom.

:catluv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2006, 20:06:17 PM »
Just did a search and saw photos of Sooty (with the baby rabbits).  Isn't he lovely. :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

As I guessed, could be our Tom's brother.  Just wonder if their taste buds are similar.

I note that Sooty ain't duped into thinking Green Lipped Mussel is a treat.... I wonder, does Sooty like Synulox antibiotics as Tom is rather partial to them!   :lick:

Don't worry, your answer won't determine whether I get GLM for our Tom or not

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2006, 18:21:48 PM »
I use Green lipped mussel for Sooty who is 19 - it does say on my tub that it is fine for cats of all ages so I wouldn't have thought there was a problem with the others getting to it.  It does seem to have made a big difference to Sooty, he's been on it about 3 months now - but it does also say that it's palatable and can be fed as a treat...HA!  No chance...

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:23 AM »
It seems to have decent levels of Glucosamine and Chondroitin in it - the Chondroitin can make more of a difference. I would certainly look into the Mussel, is there any way of doing them as treats - that way Tom could have that, and the other two could have an alternative treat?
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2006, 21:53:26 PM »
Cheers Desley; sorry busy watching bloody X Factor!  My PC in a different room so running in and out!

Synoquin Cat is From back of bottle
Glucosamine 99% (225mg),
Chondroitin 95% (175mg),
N-Acetyl-Glucosamine (99%) 25mg,
Ascorbic Acid 25mg and
Zinc Sulphate 15mg.

I hope that helps but means not a great deal to me.

Yes I am thinking of ordering the Green Lipped mussel when I've looked into it as, from what I can make out, it won't matter if the other cats have some?

It is just so difficult feeding our boys separately as Freddie just can't cope with closed doors and Tom grazes when he wants. Freddie (age 5!) really is like a child and we don't want to upset him if we can avoid it. 

It's only been 10 weeks or so since Freddie arrived but I really don't think we've ever had a cat quite like him. We adore him to bits but he's not making Tom's life much fun altho Tom more inclined to tell him to bog off since the Metacam started.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2006, 20:12:39 PM »
Not a problem Rosella. Give Tom a cuddle from me.

What Glucosamine levels are in the Synoquin, and was there any Chondroitin in them? Sorry, being too lazy to check it out myself!! It might be worth getting the Green Lipped mussel now, and starting him on it to help - but do get them online rather than through your vet!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2006, 19:07:22 PM »
So kind of you to be so interested Desley I do appreciate it. Tom says thanks.

Tom was on Synoquin Cat for sometime (that's the Glucosamine) but didn't notice much improvement.

Vet today really sang the praises of Green Lipped Mussel though but said these treatments are more long term to build up cartillage which takes quite a while?  We decided poor old Tom needs something more immediate hence the Metacam but knowing the dangers of over dosing, I hope will prevent any long term irreversible damage. I am SO going to keep this under review.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2006, 18:51:59 PM »
Fingers crossed Rosella, I was never given the syringe with any of mine. Have you tried things like Glucosamine or Green Lipped Mussel?
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2006, 13:42:49 PM »
Well I brought Thomas to the vet this am and feel a great deal more confident about the use of Metacam for him. I need to start using the dispensing syringe to measure the drops altho using drops from the bottle would not have greatly altered the dosage.

As Kittybabe said, the main thrust of the advice was take it in small doses and stop it altogether when Tom seems OK and restart when he seems to need it. This will give Tom's system time to get rid of the medication as any problems will arise if there is a build up of the drug in his system. 

I just need to learn to watch Tom and let Tom tell me when he wants it but try and aim to stop the drops as often as possible and I will keep it to a maximum of 1 drop perday from tomorrow.

Vet said if the Metacam didn't work we could always try steroidal treatment altho that too can have long term side effects altho poss not so serious (e.g. diabetes)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2006, 06:13:25 AM »
My . She also said that Metacam had been approved for dogs but not yet cats,

I think the licensing of injectable Metacam for cats is possibly very new

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2006, 22:43:30 PM »
Oh dear. Me has been doing some reading and have decided to go from 3 to 1 drop per day as I am so unsure of the measurement of "a drop". I wish life were a little more simple! I'll make an appointment with vet tomorrow. I'm sure OH will start thinking I've got a thing about the vet. I seem to be there every other week! Worth it for peace of mind tho.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2006, 21:40:14 PM »
Fingers crossed Rosella. Neither of the ones I have had on it have had it long term, but I had read a couple of iffy cases, so complained to my vet when they wanted her on 3 drops a day for more than 3 days. They did reassure me that she would be fine on a low dose though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2006, 21:32:26 PM »
I am so grateful for the measured words of wisdom.

I had another email from the Metacam chap offering to telephone me straight away if I felt it was urgent rather than me waiting over the weekend. I am pretty happy that short term use OK so I said I am happy to speak to someone on Monday but I do very much rate my vet so will speak to him next week also.

I guess until a sufficient number of cats have been on Metacam long term it is going to be difficult to form a judgement, you just have to see what happens and keep a close eye on the chicken thief (AKA Tom the man).  What's so lovely is that he is returning to the lounge to steal my chicken rather than hanging out upstairs all the time so Metacam doing the business at the moment.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2006, 20:40:09 PM »
True. You have to remember that any medication given whether to feline, canine, human etc, is going to react in certain ways for each diffirent animal.  The factors can be because of a) age/size of the animal, b) the condition/ailment, c) diet d) previous health problems etc.

All these can have an influence in how the medication works.

My vet was very clear. Lexy was not to have any more than 4 drops a day and then to reduce it. She also said that Metacam had been approved for dogs but not yet cats, but vets found that in very small doses it was suitable for cats. She warned about overdosing and what could happen. 

She also said that if Lexy's condition did not change then to stop the Metacam and let her know and she would look at a different anti-inflamatory.

This is a subjective topic I think. Everyone has had differnet experiences. Who's to say that if Lexy were older, had suffered from heart disease etc that she would have even had this prescribed.

Most important is to ask all the questions you need to and if you are still not happy with what your vet tells you ask them to use an alternative treatment.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2006, 20:27:58 PM »
I think what you have to remember is that for every good story you hear there will always be someone that has a bad one. I personally have never known a cat to die or have a bad experience from Metacam and i have known alot of cats on it.

I agree,  your vet will know the implications and surely would not perscribe it if he/she did not think it in your cats best interest. I know many cats that have been on Metacam and all up to now are fine.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 19:13:23 PM »
Just read the "horror stories" and noticed that the cats were on very high doses of Matacam.

I think what you have to remember is that for every good story you hear there will always be someone that has a bad one.
I personally have never known a cat to die or have a bad experience from Metacam and i have known alot of cats on it.

You will have to go for what your feel is right for Thomas

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 17:31:50 PM »
This is all so confusing as vet nurse told me on Wednesday that it is now licensed for use in cats.  Anyway just had reply to my email to the company in the US.

Dear Rosella,

Thank your for your enquiry about Metacam Oral Suspension.  If you would like to call the Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Office in the UK (01344 742360) during office hours, one of our Veterinary Advisors will be happy to discuss this matter with you.

Kind regards

Dr Philip Watson

Head of Veterinary Services

A phone call can't hurt and I assume Tom will be OK for a few days so I'll ring them next week. At least Freddie has stopped throwing up (touch wood as I type). I will however get back to my vet about this cos I don't want our Tom to be a horror story. I think you're probably right Rebecca that dosage is going to be the all important factor here.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 12:53:30 PM »
It is not licenced anywhere in the world for usage in cats

I did read that imjectable  Metacam is now  licensed for cats in the USA

« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 20:22:51 PM by Ela »

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 11:57:11 AM »
Reading that it looks like all of the cats that had problems had been grossly overdosed compared to what is being discussed here (1 or 2 or 4 drops, not 10 or 15 or 20). Just thought that would be worth a mention. I hope Thomas does well on his new medicine  :Luv:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
Rosella,
just did some more research re Metacam and came across this additional info.  Some of these stories are so sad.  I'm glad I refused this drug to be used for Buds this time or ever again.   I know every cat is different and some may cope really well with the drug, but I'm not prepared to risk it.  Even Boehringer admits that it can be fatal to cats and refuses to advice on dosage.  It is not licenced anywhere in the world for usage in cats!

http://www.persiancats.org/nss-folder/filefolder/MetacamHorrorStories.pdf

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 09:49:32 AM »
I so agree about quality over quantity but thing is I want BOTH. Don't we all!

We do, but sometimes we have to choose and the quality comes first every time. I do know someone who opts for quantity and it is heartbreaking to hear how they are sometimes. Even their vet is not too happy on some occasions.
If it were my vet he would most certainly report the matter either to the rescue bosses or if a private owner to the RSPCA and rightly so in my opinion.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks Chris. I'm grateful for the info

I'm gonna give this some serious thought. Freddie has started throwing up since yesterday so may well be paying vet a visit very soon so can have a proper chat with him then about Thomas.  In meantime I've sent an email to Metacam for more gen allow fully realise they have an agenda!

Have to say "Tom the man" seems alot happier since yesterday.

Offline chrisleitz

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 09:35:21 AM »
Rosella, sorry only just logged back in again.

Buddie weights 6.2kg and was on 2 drops a day for initially 10 days.  He also had 1 injection of metacam to start him off.  My vet told me to make sure he does not get any more than the 2 drops per day.  He had a blood test done prior to his knee op, which showed that everything was functioning fine.  During his recovery period he suddenly started to be not his usual self.  As he had weekly check ups anyway, another blood test was done and he had raised creatine (spelling?) levels and was quite lethargic (very unlike Buds).  Steve (vet) then said that he suspected that Buddie was probably reacting to the metacam and as he didn't seem to be in too much pain to stop the metacam.  We then did another blood test 3 weeks later that showed that all levels were back to normal again.  I think the one-off injection of metacam is OK but I would never again put one of my cats on it for a prolonged period.  There seem to be alternatives that have fewer side effects like the cartrophen injections he is having now.  He responds well to them as his limping has stopped completely now.

May be worth you talking to your vet also about alternative remedies herbal or otherwise.
Hope Tom isn't in too much pain and discomfort and that he soon gets better again.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 22:37:02 PM »
Ros you're a wonderful mum!

I gave Lexy all drops in one go on her dry food. To make sure she ate them I took the two or three bits of dry food (picture it will you  :rofl: ) painstakingly dropped the drops on the food, only gave her those little morsels and then when she ate them I gave her the rest of her food.

I know its one of those things where memories play a part, but they do so well with it. Its a life saver. Lexy was in so much pain from the dislocation of her knee, then her surgeries, I just thought of it as a happy drug :rofl:

But seriously, if you guage it the way you would a child or yourself, when self-medicating, take it in small doses and reduce it if you feel its too much.  Oh I wish I could give Thomas a  cuddle!!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 22:38:31 PM by Kittybabe »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 22:21:45 PM »
Tom and Pebbles had their drops in one meal, dont remember being told to do it differently.
Please spay your cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 22:16:59 PM »
Thanks Kittybabe. I've only used Metacm once before during Gandolf's final weeks last March/April. He was pts at end of April with cancer. Have to say that it was a lifeline helping him to eat but I do tend to associate it with "final stages" so to speak as a result.

Gandi was on up to 4 drops a day tho and I will be cutting Thomas down to 1 drop a day on Sunday so... we'll see how it goes.  Directions on bottle 3 drops a day for 1st 4 days.  I just assumed that meant 1 drop 3 times day. Must ring them tomorrow and check it out, having 3 cats, it would be less trouble for us if we only had to doctor one meal for him!  Terrible mom ain't I!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 20:30:41 PM »
Ros when Lexy fell and dislocated her knee, and then injured her other knee with trying to bear her own weight, our vet gave me Metacam. It is linked to her weight and age, but I was told only once a day, up to 4 drops with food and lots of water to help the inflamantion of her ligaments and the surrounding tissue. AFter her surgery the vet said it was ok to give her 4 drops with her food.

I only ever gave her 4 on teh first day when she was really in pain, and it helped her straight away, and then two days after that I dropped her down to 2.5 drops each day. 

AFter both her surgeries she got a little Metacam each day for about 4 days also around 2.5 or 3 drops.

Like any medication prolonged use can cause damage to kidneys (same as us humans), but since Lexy only had it sporadically and only when she really needed it, she came out fine.  Thomas is only 17 (only!) so this is a good thing you can do for him. Your vet would not prescribe something that would be harmful. Also play it by ear...he may not need it every day etc.

Quality of life. I still have my 10 ml bottle and it goes where Lexy goes if I have to be away.

Hope Thomas does ok...poor little mite.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 20:04:06 PM »
Thanks furrybabystar. I so agree about quality over quantity but thing is I want BOTH. Don't we all! Tom says "hi and ta for being concerned prrrr"

Hi Chris

I looked at site from the link you provided and get the impression that maybe (what do I know) much depends on dosage e.g. quote

"No owner should ever be told to administer more than 2 drops per day (for any length of time) for a cat. And then, ONLY for arthritis. One to 2 drops per day is probably the only remedy for some cats with arthritis - and I invite Manestia to suggest an alternative for cats with moderate to severe hip arthritis."

Obviously I am very concerned to ensure I do the best for our Tom so anything more you can tell me about Buddie's dosage would be very much appreciated

Link to CatChat