Author Topic: New veterinary product - the answer to our prayers?  (Read 3688 times)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: New veterinary product - the answer to our prayers?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 18:53:07 PM »
you could always move to an area where you dont get harvest mites  :rofl:

IE up here...!!!

fuzziesdad

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 17:52:47 PM »
yep thats where all of ours have had them but fortunately thats all its only harriet and kizzy who have them the worst and they get them in between there toes >:(
( maybe using frontline spray might be better as its weaker and more adaptable but do you know if the spray has fripinole?)

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 17:25:46 PM »
Just a word of warning . I know you will be careful but you must make sure its not possible for any frontline to drip into the cats ear canal or deep into the ear. I only ever  use it on the outside bits of the ears where there is a double flap at the bottom. This is where most of the mites seem to migrate the nasty little critters.

fuzziesdad

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 16:33:19 PM »

harriet(harry) had the same jab for infection of sores caused by bloomin harvest mites (again)

Peanut gets a lot of these in his ears poor mite (ooh a pun! :) )  We use some frontline on a cotton bud which works a treat. He only usually gets a infestation in the external earlobe . He spends the summer sleeping under the shrubs in the garden :doh:

all of ours sleep in the garden and to be sure that's where they get them and apparently they move around from garden to garden,village to village ,estate to estate ( the harvest mites that is).
We are at this moment negotiating with them to move somewhere else........lol,thanks for the tip about using the cotton bud I will try it. :thanks:   

Offline Nick (Peanut & Boo)

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 18:44:19 PM »

harriet(harry) had the same jab for infection of sores caused by bloomin harvest mites (again)

Peanut gets a lot of these in his ears poor mite (ooh a pun! :) )  We use some frontline on a cotton bud which works a treat. He only usually gets a infestation in the external earlobe . He spends the summer sleeping under the shrubs in the garden :doh:

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 14:06:31 PM »
We had a Pfizer rep come and talk to us all about this a few weeks ago and we are now using it at work and it seems to be going well. It is definately a god send when it comes to cats and also we were reminded that these days people are so busy that they may forget to give tablets. We were told you can use it for any soft tissue treatments so this covers all sorts of things!

fuzziesdad

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 20:56:51 PM »
beanie said Any thoughts or further knowledge out there? 

harriet(harry) had the same jab for infection of sores caused by bloomin harvest mites (again) and I must say it has work a treat cost wise about the same without the trauma of having to give her tablets.
A definite godsend.
roger. :thanks:

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 19:29:28 PM »
Hi Gillian,

As I understand it, it is a slow release antibitic. I would certainly hope so.
Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 19:23:02 PM »
I don't think I like the idea that the cat would get such a huge dose all at one go - I mean it must be a large dose to remain in the body for that length of time musnt it?

Looking at the info about it, cats under 8 wks, those allergic to peniciliin (or cephalosporin - the active ingredient) and those with kidney dysfunction, cant have it - and they don't advise giving it to pregnant cats as it hasnt been studied in that group yet.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:08:01 AM »
I do hope it is true and it comes here quick. My nightmare is if Sasa was to need antibiotics cos she cant be touched and catching her for the vets is a a nightmare and so stressful for her.........and me. Not something that wants to be done regularily cos she will then punish me for months after and go into hiding, preferably outside from her point of view cos thats where she feels safe.  :'( :'(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 18:19:13 PM »
Ohhh, that sounds fab, it would certainly be a god send in this house......if an injection is available and I can avoid being attacked, then I'm all for it.  It will also save lots of time as giving ferals tablets can take a few attempts and a minute can soon turn into an hour, so life would be a lot less stressful as well.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:26:09 PM »
Ours have been more nervous of tuna since we used it with the lovely yellow pills all crushed up in it!

The american fried chicken works for us and to date even the nasty boys Ace and Sailor will take worming tablets as they gave up on the palatable ones after the first round! :evillaugh:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 13:28:04 PM »
Hi Liz,

i'm also suspicious of American fried chicken with or without medication.  :) :) :)

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 12:54:12 PM »
This would be great for our ferals as after day 2 they are suspucios of parents, american fried chicken and the chasing to avoid the other starving kids from eating tablet in chicken!

Also for some of the oldies only one visit and no trying to tablet when they are out of sort will watch and wait with interest
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
New veterinary product - the answer to our prayers?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
I have just learned today of a new veterinary product which, if it lives up to what is being claimed, could be the answer to the old problem og giving tablets to cats.

Pfizer are due to launch a new antibiotic in early December named Convenia which is injected but will last for 2 weeks thus ending the necessity to administer tablets and often stressing out cats in the process. I have no idea at present as to the range of problems that it can tackle or its price.

Theoretically, it is a step forward because veterinary manufacturers have not paid too much attention to size of pills / capsules, which can cause distress by lodging in a cat's throat.  :welcome:

Any thoughts or further knowledge out there?  8)

Link to CatChat