Author Topic: I am confused, can a pregnant cat come into season ?  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: I am confused, can a pregnant cat come into season ?
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2007, 21:06:54 PM »
Glad there was a good outcome to this.
Please spay your cat

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2007, 21:04:21 PM »

She is happy, I am happy, the kids will recover  :rofl: ;D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2007, 19:35:11 PM »
 :rofl: Sorry, I couldn't help laughing - thinking of all the worry and excitement she put you through!  Glad it turned out well in the end  ;D

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Billie. 10/05/90 - 05/12/06
    • The Tearoom, a forum for all Mystery Shoppers.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2007, 16:15:15 PM »
Just an update on all of this, Cloud has now been speyed, she wasn't pregnant but indications were, that she has been at some point, so she either miscarried or absorbed, I would imagine the latter as there has never been any signs of a miscarry.

She is happy, I am happy, the kids will recover  :rofl: ;D

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 16:12:54 PM »
I dont know a single vet who wont do it earlier when there is one of each sex.

Mine won't but when I had a young female in for a prolapse, I did ask them to spay her at the same time as she was feral and unhandleable.  She was about 5 months old at the time.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 16:10:17 PM »
I've not heard of this before but I did have a feral in once that I didn't even know was pregnant, she started getting very friendly all of a sudden and it turned out she was a week off dropping  :Crazy:  I would get her in the vets again for a second opinion, if she isn't up the tub, get her in asap.  How long ago was the tom neutered?  If it was less than 8 weeks, it's still possible he could father a litter  :sneaky:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 11:35:24 AM »
How long ago did you take her in? If shes 6 weeks now they could have easily got it wrong, palpatating at 3 weeks would be more difficult. She may have had a windy tum!  :rofl:
Im surprised they wouldnt spay at that early stage  :-: especially as shes only a baby herself

Im glad it wasnt her brother, have you been in contact with the rescue they came from? Explain what happened and see if they willl change their advice to 5 months. Especially when they are homing one of each sex.
I like the sound of your previous practice!

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 07:18:13 AM »
There are 4 main practices in my area, the one I am with, I have been with them for 22 years now, my previous practice is still going and I found out the other day, they will neuter at 4 months depending on the size of the animal, so Misty would have been done at least, Cloud is a small cat, so I am not sure if they would have done her, but at least the Male would have been done. The third practice, told me many moons ago, they would not allow me to register with them as I was a witness against one of their Vets when he accidentally drowned a horse when he put the drench tube into the lungs instead of the stomach  :Crazy: and the 4th runs a credit check, that put me off straght away !!!

If I hear of anyone in the same situation as me, at least I can now tell them to go to Highcliff, when I got them, the rescue centre told me I would need to get them done at 6 months as well, and bang on 6 months, I had a reminder letter from them about it.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 18:49:02 PM »
Is there no other vets in your area? Sorry, can't remember the original story with the vets. I am lucky that ours will neuter before 6 months, and apart from yours, I dont know a single vet who wont do it earlier when there is one of each sex.
Please spay your cat

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 18:43:02 PM »
Luckily, not her brother, I got 2 kittens from the rescue centre, same age (within a day)  but not related. What worries me, is the Vets are adamant, no neutering before 6 months, yet the evidence is clear to them, that cats ARE fertile before this time.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 18:01:04 PM »
but she got "had" at 5 months, very rare apparently

Unfortunately not rare, i know of pregant cats at 4 months!! So many vets still live in the dark ages. Did her brother get her? Thats what makes it worse when the vets refuse, my boys were maturing at 4 months, had the bits to prove it  :evillaugh:

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 13:53:46 PM »
Thanks
I am also due to go on holiday on May 26th and her kittens due around the 2nd June, the day I come back, another reason why I would be pleased if she wasn't.

I will let you know the outcome.

Oh God - Who is looking after her while you are away ??????

Don't worry !!!, she is booked into one of the best cattery's in Suffolk.

The owners breed dogs and used to breed Persian Cats, so are well clued up, there was no hesitation at all in allowing her to stay when I spoke to them about the impending kittens, but I was warned about possible additional costs, she would actually be in better hands there with experienced people around her, than at home with me in a panic !!!!

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 13:37:38 PM »
Thanks
I am also due to go on holiday on May 26th and her kittens due around the 2nd June, the day I come back, another reason why I would be pleased if she wasn't.

Oh God - Who is looking after her while you are away ??????

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 13:01:58 PM »
Thanks

Her Mum is at the Vet's on Wednesday for her final jabs, so I will take her along then for a check up. The kids will be most upset if she isn't, but I will be really relieved, I was mortified when I was told she was pregnant, it was a catch 22 situation, the vet wouldn't spay her until she was 6 months, but she got "had" at 5 months, very rare apparently. I am also due to go on holiday on May 26th and her kittens due around the 2nd June, the day I come back, another reason why I would be pleased if she wasn't.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 11:21:35 AM »
Ive never heard of that and the only explanation i could think was if she was going to reabsorb altho thats normally earlier in preg than 40 days.  I'd monitor it and take her to the vets if she is still displaying those signs.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
Dont forget though Karen, that cats dont have the sexual urges we do, so if she was back in season, she would be wanting to be mated, and that could be dangerous.
Please spay your cat

Offline kezmayuk

• Adult Cat
  • Mitsey - Lancer - Evo
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 11:08:45 AM »
when my cat was pregant she never came into season, but they could do i dont see why not we get randy when were pregant lol ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:21:05 AM »
Never heard of a pregnant cat coming into season - is she showing any signs of her nipples pinking up? At 40 days, she is nearly 6 weeks, so should be showing signs as she only has 3ish weeks to go.
Please spay your cat

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
I am confused, can a pregnant cat come into season ?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:33:02 AM »
Some may remember me posting this, but I took Cloud to be spayed, only for the vet to tell me she was pregnant and they refused to do her. She would be about 40 days now. There is very little sign, if anything at all, but then, I have never had a pregnant cat before.  :-:

In the night, there was some almighty waiiling and she is acting as though she is in season again, loud miaowing, very sensitive tummy, being very amorous to the now neutered male (who shos no interest in her at all !!), is it possible for her to be in season ? or did the vet get it wrong ?

When I bred my mare, she came into season 5 times while pregnant, the vet said that was nature being quirky  :Crazy: nature scaring me silly more like.  :censored:

Link to CatChat