Author Topic: Advice please - mouth tumours  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Advice please - mouth tumours
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 18:43:20 PM »
I know, I did tell her to ignore that advice!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 16:48:15 PM »
has also recommended dry food only

Oh no not another vet who says that!  :rofl:

Im glad it wasnt anything serious  ;D

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 08:40:38 AM »
Spoke to my friend and the vet thinks it was just related to how bad his teeth were - has also recommended dry food only, so have said that isn't true, just finding some links for her now.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
I'm so pleased.  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 07:49:14 AM »
I know!!
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2007, 20:12:12 PM »
Thats great news desley.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 19:18:11 PM »
Got a text from my friend tonight saying Oscar is fine!! He has lost 4 teeth, but the biopsy obviously doesn't show it as a tumour.
Please spay your cat

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 09:25:12 AM »
Cat is booked in for a biopsy on Wed - with it being a bank hol weekend, they were full for Tues. Will let you know
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 06:37:13 AM »
Any update on this, Desley?
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 09:48:38 AM »
amanda thats interesting you seem to see this often, i have to say altho it did crop up it wasnt a terribly common occurence up here (thankfully)

Fingers crossed desley it is the lesser of evils so to speak although i would have expected the vet to have suspicions of a granuloma from appearence if it was that, maybes its very inflamed etc so not easy to tell.

Good luck to your friend meantime

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Hippy - you are right with the name SCC, but it is my friends' mums cat, not mine. We are hoping for it to be granuloma's and nothing more serious, although the vets dont seem to have mentioned that yet. Will let you know the outcome.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 01:41:31 AM »
Max, a gorgeous maine-coon type moggie developed mouth cancer. I think it was something like squamous cell carcinoma. I think that's right. He was only 6 at the time and in perfect health otherwise. I first noticed a foul-smelling dribble from his mouth and took him to the vet expecting it to be gingivitis. I was horrified when the vet said it was cancer and required a biopsy. This was done, and the result came back as definitely malignant. He lived for a few weeks after this. I think I may have let him go on for too long because I didn't want to let him go, I loved him so much. Eventually, I realised he was in agony, and had him pts.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a poor prognosis for mouth cancer in cats. I hope your vet is wrong and all goes well for your mum's cat.

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2007, 22:46:26 PM »
Sadly Desley where i work we see a lot of mouth tumours in cats. I think a biopsy would be a very good start to see where to go from there and maybe even an x-ray to see if there is any boney involvement. I hope its good news for the puss cat.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 20:53:55 PM »
Des So sorry to hear about your friends babe :(  My 12 yr old Ben had oral cancer found by having a bad tooth removed, they took a byopsy at the same time and the results were bad. After two days of the op, my wonderful lad went downhill so rapidly from eating to nothing and was very very quiet. He went straight back to the vets and never came home with me  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(. The removal of the tooth cause the cancer to spread very very quick in his mouth and there was no treatment that could be done so i had to let him go. I couldn't let my darlin lad suffer.

He was fine and eating before his check up when they found the bad tooth. He did have a temp which is why i took him for his annual check up earlier than booked.  I know this aint good news for your friend but i would say def get this sorted and have a byopsy etc. I so hope something can be done for her 3yrs old.

Sending Love and thinking of them
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 20:53:46 PM »
I thought so too - unless of course, both CP and vets have judged his age wrong. I am glad there is a chance of it being malignant, I didn't know if there was a chance. i would expect a poor outcome for malignant to be honest, but hoping in a 3 yo it isn't.
Cheers MM, fingers crossed it is something as simple as that.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 20:52:06 PM »
If he has gingivitis and generally poor oral health i would think granuloma, the first time Simon got one (at 1 year old) i was really worried he had a tumour, but antirobe and an anti imflammatory jab cleared it up. He had to have teeth out because it kept reoccuring but theres a good chance of it curing the problem  ;D

His teeth were rubbing on them, which made them swell and get infected, very smelly!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 20:44:18 PM »
thats an unusual one des.

I'd say a biopsy has to be done to find out if it is malignant or not.

This may be some sort of benign polyp.

If it is malignant then the outcome would not be good as you'd probably expect.  FIV/FELV tests would be fairly useful i guess.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Advice please - mouth tumours
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 20:38:35 PM »
Not one of mine!!!
One of our volunteers has been on the phone, her mum took her 3yo cat to the vets for his annual check up today, the vet checked his mouth, and he has bad gingivititis (they think they will need to remove teeth) and also a tumour at the back of his mouth. He isn't off his food though, and seems fine in himself, so slightly odd. She wanted some advice, but I was a bit stuck really, I said I would have thought it quite unusual in such a young cat, and that hopefully his age means it will be something treatable - am I right, wrong? Her mum wasn't sure whether to put him through a biopsy, but I said that in a 3 year old, it is worth doing, so she is going to try and convince her mum to book him in for next week. I also asked if they had mentioned blood tests, and they haven't - FIV and FeLV sprung to mind with the gingivitis - or could the calici virus cause lumps in mouths? He is a rescue cat who apparantly came into rescue unneutered at the age of 2ish, and has got battle scars. I am seeing her tomorrow night, so woudl appreciate any input so she can reassure her mum, or get her to ask about certain things.

Thanks
Please spay your cat

Link to CatChat